Holy Crap - Curves/Recommendations

Schwarzfeld

So this thing is epically more difficult to keep straight down the runway than the Spitfire, wow, lol.

Anyone got suggestions/recommendations on User Curves for this thing? I'm playing with curves when I have time to try and dial it in but this is one helluva little demon to keep straight, which is gonna be tons of fun, but man this I haven't even got off the ground yet LOL

I disabled auto rudder and disabled takeoff assist, always do first thing for any module... would like to learn to fly it as realistically as possible... However, having logged some real hours learning real taildraggers, I have a VERY hard time believing this thing was THIS schizophrenic on the rudder, it makes the Spitfire seem like childs play lol

I tried some curves yesterday and it was even worst, as you need command enough to control the swerve and curves make it more numb indeed.

I think it's better just to practise the feet play needed and remembering to be ahead of the movement.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

advice use full power for t/o dont try to roll with medium power its almost uncontrolable.

apply brakes -> advance throttle to max with one single move while advancing throttle release brakes

dont use WEP at military power this bird t/o in couple seconds :P once tail lifts it become very stable and tail lifts almost instantly at full power

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

It gets easier. I've been practicing takeoffs for a few hours due to being so terrible at first, but I can takeoff reliably now. Not yet smoothly, but reliably.

The key is anticipating the rudder commands. As soon as it starts to drift you have to correct it and don't be afraid to correct your correction. Active rudder the whole way down is what's worked for me. It's really just practice but being quick with the reaction is what's important.

Personally I've still to get my takeoffs fully up to snuff, but I find that a positive application of power up to slightly above atmo pressure on the MPI (80 ish) and leaving the throttle there limits the yaw, and allows for less dancing on the pedals. After that it's the usual fare of warbird corrections.

The newish friction model might be a factor in the ground handling though (see the 109 forums for that).

I have taken off in the I-16 about four times now, and haven’t crashed once. I advance the throttle gently, dance on the pedals, and get the tail up as soon as possible.

Be aware that the tail wheel is linked to the rudder, so getting the tail up as soon as possible (like the spit) should make takeoff less difficult. I must admit that i’ve flown the I-16 in “the other WWII Eastern Front” game, so that might have helped. Now if I can just get the gear up ....

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

• 3 weeks later...

Full power on take-off is just not necessary and you want to be below 200 kph anyway to get the gear up quickly. Nice and easy throttle progression with a quick two step does the trick and it goes straight down the runway. Lovely little mover she is.

- 'The Dog's Rollocks' - [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] is a water cooled behemoth :

i9 9900K@5GHz/RTX 2080Ti/32 Gb 3600MHz RAM/M.2 NVMe onboard drives/System driving Pimax 5K Plus/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind/Gametrix Jetseat

I have taken off in the I-16 about four times now, and haven’t crashed once. I advance the throttle gently, dance on the pedals, and get the tail up as soon as possible.

Be aware that the tail wheel is linked to the rudder, so getting the tail up as soon as possible (like the spit) should make takeoff less difficult. I must admit that i’ve flown the I-16 in “the other WWII Eastern Front” game, so that might have helped. Now if I can just get the gear up ....

To get the gear up, contrarily to what is required in that other ww2 sim, in this more detailed / realistic I-16 you really have to reduce your speed... otherwise your virtual pilot will have a hell of a work to get it up / down... Same for Flaps...

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...