Developer jailed in US for smuggling F-16 manuals

RaceFuel85

Is he really a DCS developer? I wonder if ED will emit a clarifying statement, as their name is being mentioned on the news.

Yes he is. His name is in the game credits and there are pictures of him with Wags from Wags' Moscow trip.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

i would believe this was all sorted the last 3 years, because if it wasnt, they would not have revealed the upcoming F-16C for that they must have a licence to be allowed to publish it, as with all other modules that fall into that category.

so bottom line: all is fine, and we dont need a statement at all. ;)

So an active, major ED developer is arrested for violations of espionage laws and such and you don't think ED should say...something?

So an active, major ED developer is arrested for violations of espionage laws and such and you don't think ED should say...something?

Yeah this, especially considering that, let's be honest, the Russian government has not exactly been friendly towards Western countries lately...

I also think it would be good to get some clarification from ED. The timing of this would all suggest it's water under the bridge and handled as the Indictment was 3 years ago and all of this was way way before any Viper announcement by ED. With that said it would be nice to hear something fun ED reaffirming this all....

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Ha I can't see why this would ever be locked. Everyone is being respectful and asking legitimate questions

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

The espionage claims regarding this seem overblown. I found several links where this can downloaded, the same flight manual, in the public domain.

However, the second page lists a Disclosure clause, and it is very clear about releasing the information to another country.

So, basically poor judgement on his part.

As far as the F-22 and F-35, what nerd wouldn't want to sneak a peek.

Pointy end hurt! Fire burn!!
JTF-191 25th Draggins - Hawg Main. Black Shark 2, A10C, A10CII, F-16, F/A-18, F-86, Mig-15, Mig-19, Mig-21, P-51, F-15, Su-27, Su-33, Mig-29, FW-190 Dora, Anton, BF 109, Mossie, Normandy, Caucasus, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Channel, Syria, Marianas, WWII Assets, CA. (WWII backer picked aircraft ME-262, P-47D).

Yeah I really feel like this is nothing really to be concerned about...

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

While I understand he might have crossed a line, going full bananas like that on the guy is just overkill.

As for the F22/35 thing, who wouldn't want a peek? I know I wouldn't report finding the manuals and keep them if I found one on the ground.

Wow, such landing, much no gear, so slide...

T.16000M FCS HOTAS

Owned : Flaming Cliff 3 | Mig-21Bis | AJS-37 Viggen | F/A-18C | F-5E | Mirage 2000c | F-14B | Ka-50 | JF-17

Wishlist : F-4 | Mi-24 | MiG-23 | F-15E | F-16

Dev. Wishlist : Tornado | Mirage F1 | MiG-25 | F-104 | Étendard/Super Étendard | Saab 35 Draken | JAS-39 Gripen A

While I understand he might have crossed a line, going full bananas like that on the guy is just overkill.

As for the F22/35 thing, who wouldn't want a peek? I know I wouldn't report finding the manuals and keep them if I found one on the ground.

No, it's not overkilling, it's how the law works in the U.S. The F-16C documentation was already publicized on the internet which does not make sense as to why the developer was trying to already get manuals on the aircraft, and the F-22/F-35 are both 5th generation aircraft that are classified. Imagine a foreigner that is an adversary of yours not in the best of political terms trying to obtain those manuals. Makes sense to me as to why it would be taken not-so-lightly.

The manuals contained "concise and clear instructions" for operating and maintaining F-16s, the affidavit said.
i found this funny as hell though

like who could have guessed

always good to see our dear journos working their blessed butts off searching for those scary sound bites

Edited by probad

I feel sorry for him and want to believe he had no evil intentions, just curiosity getting the best of him. However, it should not be taken lightly. We have to remember that we are simulating real weapons of war that can be used to do bad things and get people killed.

I have always been curious as to how ED can simulate aircraft and weapons still in use and where the fine line is that they can't cross. Rule 1.16 states no referencing of documents later than 1980. It makes we wonder why ED is even simulating 4th gen aircraft if we can't even really discuss or learn about what we are simulating without fear of doing something illegal or endangering someone's life. It would have been best if DCS just simulated pre-1980 aircraft.

This whole mess in addition to rule 1.16 kind of makes me uncomfortable about DCS right now.

I look forward to ED's response about all of this.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"