Designator Turn technique in the A-10?

Nealius

I'm curious about designator turns in the A-10 when employing LGBs. A long time ago I saw a diagram of an F-16 doing a designator turn where he did a right break after releasing the bomb, then settled into a gentle 20-30° left bank to lase the target until impact; essentially flying around the target instead of directly over it.

I've been doing this in the A-10 as well, but someone who's supposedly an 11F1B commented on one of my videos saying that the break turn should have messed up my TGP view. Out of curiosity I tried to dig around for resources describing designator turns but came up empty.

How are designator turns supposed to be done?

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing but what I try to do is, as I drop the bomb I have some time to do whatever I want until the laser fires itself at the target, so as soon as the drops out of the aircraft I turn away from the target as much as it allows, it could be from 20 to 45 degrees depending on how much time I have until the laser fires, then I place the aircraft on a bank, making sure it's not going to mask the TGP (this requires some experience), then I don't have to fly away to employ another bomb.

I think your example could work well. Have you tried it?

Obviously it would depend upon the target (structure, tank vs SAM) , and altitude but in general a sloping turn is no problem as long as your TGP isn't masked....so try and keep your turn to the same side as the TGP.

As Vitormouraa suggests, you have a pretty good idea of drop time +/-13 seconds 'sparkle time' so even a full 180 can be done pretty smoothly without masking TGP.

I've done more radical 180 turns to avoid closing in on the SAM's range and still have time to sparkle. I also recommend NOT using auto-laze if you're planning a radical egress immediately after pickle; best to be in a somewhat stable flight.

Happy hunting!

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Try to avoid using an LGB on a target that is defended by SAM cover Take out the SAM first then bomb your target, preferably using a wingman or other flight to do so beforehand with missiles, or try lofting the LGB for extended range, although I'm not sure how well it works in the A10 module. Clearly if a SA10 is nearby then you are going to have problems ;)

If the masking is momentary, and the bomb has sufficient altitude - you might stand a chance of the bomb re-acquiring, but best to keep the turn gentle and avoid sudden movements & not mask.

The manoeuvre the F-16 is called ASD (Aircraft Self Damage I think).

This allows increased separation between the weapon as it conducts arming checks and also prevents the jet overflying the target and terrain masking the laser as well as avoid the airframe masking the laser.

@mkii regarding LGBs vs SAM site - RW they just wouldn't be used until after the SEAD package has done its thing.

On another note I'd love to see how far a fast jet would be able to toss a paveway... reckon you'll be able to "catch" it with a JTAC or something providing a buddy lase?

The TGP on the A10c is nicely molded, although many have been replaced with the sniper pod now. The biggest trick is to remember the side of your plane carrying the pod, and make your turn/approach depending on target type in a way that won't mask the laser any of the average 30 second fall time.

6D80k38.jpg