Real Simulator FSSB R3 Lightning

ChuckJäger

... I’ve read that they require a lot of force to use

You can adjust in software what force you want, both axis and also nonsymmetrical, so less force to the right than left for an example.

I love mine, it's an amazing base, I might switch mine out for a Vkb GFIII kosmosima grip when that release, just for my cockpit setup.

I don't regret buying the FSSB a second tho, you can customize it how ever you want in software!

You can adjust in software what force you want, both axis and also nonsymmetrical, so less force to the right than left for an example.

I love mine, it's an amazing base, I might switch mine out for a Vkb GFIII kosmosima grip when that release, just for my cockpit setup.

I don't regret buying the FSSB a second tho, you can customize it how ever you want in software!

Awesome, great to know. How was the postage/delivery time etc? Was it easy enough to setup/install the TM Warthog electronics?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I never installed the tm electronics, you don't need them to use a tm or virpil stick. Iirc the option is there so you can map your buttons as a tm wh, but use the axis from the fssb. I just remapped the buttons for the fssb base.

But as far as installation goes, very simple. They have a tutorial on their Youtube page, it takes a couple of minutes with a screwdriver.

I think the postage was fast, it ships from spain, so a couple of days :)

I never installed the tm electronics, you don't need them to use a tm or virpil stick. Iirc the option is there so you can map your buttons as a tm wh, but use the axis from the fssb. I just remapped the buttons for the fssb base.

But as far as installation goes, very simple. They have a tutorial on their Youtube page, it takes a couple of minutes with a screwdriver.

I think the postage was fast, it ships from spain, so a couple of days :)

Awesome, the only reason I ask is that I saw a video on YT detailing the removal of an electronics board from the TM Warthog base and installation into the FSSB but that may have a diff version of the base

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Awesome, the only reason I ask is that I saw a video on YT detailing the removal of an electronics board from the TM Warthog base and installation into the FSSB but that may have a diff version of the base

Transferring the board into the FSSB is only required if you want the stick to be recognised as a TM WH (e.g. for maintaining button mapping, or if you want to use TARGET software). The base has its own USB port if you don't need this facility.

Transferring the board into the FSSB is only required if you want the stick to be recognised as a TM WH (e.g. for maintaining button mapping, or if you want to use TARGET software). The base has its own USB port if you don't need this facility.

Got it, thanks!

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

• 2 months later...

Which is better to upgrade my TM Cougar HOTAS with;

The Virpil WarBRD base

or the FSSB R3 Lighting (If it comes with base)

My TM Cougar gimbal recently cracked in half and I'm in need of doing something to get back up and running.

Been looking at the Warthog setup but I think I'm just buying into more bad TM quality issues.

Plus I'm not really sold on the Warthog system.

Have been using my TM Cougar for years and really like it.

The TQS throttle has everything right there on the throttle without ever having to take your hand off it.

The WarBRD base is definitely cheaper than the FSSB R3 system but which is better?

Edited by msmith301

msmith301 said:
Which is better to upgrade my TM Cougar HOTAS with;

The Virpil WarBRD base

or the FSSB R3 Lighting (If it comes with base)

My TM Cougar gimbal recently cracked in half and I'm in need of doing something to get back up and running.

Been looking at the Warthog setup but I think I'm just buying into more bad TM quality issues.

Plus I'm not really sold on the Warthog system.

Have been using my TM Cougar for years and really like it.

The TQS throttle has everything right there on the throttle without ever having to take your hand off it.

The WarBRD base is definitely cheaper than the FSSB R3 system but which is better?

The two bases are not comparable. One comes at your home at almost 600 euros (450+vat+shipping) the other at around 200 euros.

The fssb is a great hardware, but not for everyone. I think it is very solid also for use with Warbirds and Helicopters...event the Tomcat (the trim should move the stick and this won't happen with spring josysticks, so better use a non moving one at all).
This is only my experience and really the realsimulator base is a great kit, very precise and solid.

Edited by VirusAM

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

The two bases are not comparable. One comes at your home at almost 600 euros (450+vat+shipping) the other at around 200 euros.

The fssb is a great hardware but I couldn’t get used to it...my plan was to use it as sidestick for the f16 but I couldn’t do the most easy manouvers with it.

I tried to get used to it but when a month later a tried to use the warbrd as a sidestick i got much better feeling and results and decided to sell the fssb r3.

So now i have the warbrd stick at right and a new Vkb gunfighter iii with 20cm extension as centerstick.

This is only my experience and really the realsimulator base is a great kit, very precise and solid

What is this "Side Stick" everybody keeps talking about?

Never heard that concept before.

I'm guessing your after what a "side stick" is, it's just a stick that's placed on the side instead of between your legs. The F16 have it mounted on the right console, a lot of desktop player have it on the side aswell since it's usually mor ergonomic on a desktop

I'm guessing your after what a "side stick" is, it's just a stick that's placed on the side instead of between your legs. The F16 have it mounted on the right console, a lot of desktop player have it on the side aswell since it's usually mor ergonomic on a desktop

Correct.

The sidestick is the stick on the right as in the real f16 (but also f22, f35, rafale)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

ohh ok..Everybody keeps talking about dual controllers and sticks that are more sensitive than others I thought maybe people were setting up an additional stick for doing refueling or something.

I know my Cougar throttle would have me ramming into the damned plane every time.

Hey maybe that can be a new concept. Kind of like when the bombers take control of the aircraft on bombing runs.

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a used FSSB their looking to sell?

Update: forget it, I just went ahead and bought a new one.

Edited by Naruto
  • Like 1

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Completely agree. I currently own a Virpil T50 (center mount) and a FSSB R3 (side stick). I use the T50 for the majority of my flying in DCS, IL2 and Rise of Flight....the FSSB side stick is for BMS and now the upcoming F16 module. I also use it for Elite Dangerous occasionally as well.

I didn't realize that you could adapt the R3 to the Cougar base. I would love to set this up for using with my modern fighters in DCS...F/A-18C Hornet, F-18C Viper and F-15C Eagle. As well as any others I might add to my collection. Been thinking of the MIg-29 or Mig-35 only because of their low cost in the game.

Is it possible to keep multiple joysticks set up within the same game such as DCS.

I have the older Cougar HOTAS original but just bought the Virpil Warbird base for the joystick where I can take my Cougar joystick off and put it on the Warbird. However the Warbird is still a spring base the same as Thrustmaster but could probably take a lot more yanking and cranking then the TM ever could.

I Could I keep the warbird set up for flying older planes in DCS and put the R3 which is still available on the older cougar base for my modern fighters.

Just a thought.

Correct.

The sidestick is the stick on the right as in the real f16 (but also f22, f35, rafale)

I personally have always had the stick on the side whether I'm using it for older WW2 planes or modern planes.

What is the reason they are still putting control sticks in the center such as the Hornet?

It seams so much more comfortable on the side. Not only at my desk but I could imagine having to always keep your right arm reached around to the center control stick must get tiring. With the side stick you just rest your arm on the side with your hand on the stick.

Also leaves you a lot more visual room for instruments in the center.

Both the F-15C and the F-16 came out around the same time. (The F-16 was so they could have a cheaper alternative to the F-15C which was costing around 30 million a piece at the time.)

But their control sticks are different.

From what I'm seeing on their homepage the RSSB3 lighting is the entire base and control board without the actual control stick attached.

Is the RSSB3 Lighting compatible with the Cougar HOTAS joystick?

I know the stick can be attached to the Virpil Warbird base but what about the RSSB3 Lighting?

From what I'm seeing on their homepage the RSSB3 lighting is the entire base and control board without the actual control stick attached.

Is the RSSB3 Lighting compatible with the Cougar HOTAS joystick?

I know the stick can be attached to the Virpil Warbird base but what about the RSSB3 Lighting?

Pretty sure it is. I have a Cougar Stick on one of their original RS1 bases. I wouldn't think it would be any different for the newer models.

• 1 year later...

Anyone knows if there a guide to make it feel as close as possible to the real F-16 stick? 

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The real F-16 stick requires crazy amount of force, more than 20 lbs for max input, something the home version of FSSB cannot cope with.  They design it to operate at half of the force input of the real thing, with typical force setting around 4-5 lbs, max around 13 but not recommended as you will probably break it.  Sometimes too much realism is no good.  My RS F/A-18 grip, for example, has the 2nd trigger that has the same resistance as the real thing and is really hard to squeeze, and a lot of times I would lose half a sec to a second during a gun run trying to squeeze the darn thing.  I’m used to it now but using it back to back with other grips still show a huge difference in the feel and operation, with others being much easier to operate.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

• 2 months later...

I do not recommend using a Thrustmaster warthog stick with the R3L because of the force sensing pressure it will buckle in time. But if you must for the time being this little gadget looks like it would be good. If I had to use the TM grips with this awesome base I would definitely use one of these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194197276389

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020