State of hornet?

lanmancz

Hello,

sorry if this was asked before but I was absent from these forums (and DCS) for a long time. My question is how is the Hornet these days please? I was waiting since my day 1 purchase before I jump in for the majority of the systems to be finished, bugs squished, etc. So how is it please? What are the major systems still missing (I assume ground radar)? And is it a good time to jump in? Is it complete enough or would you recommend still waiting a couple of months please? I'd like to point out that I don't like beta testing and technical issues, that's why I've waited so far. Thanks.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

It is in Early Access. Which means, by your definitions, you are not up for it yet.

So continue to wait for release while pilots like me are enjoying the heck out of it.

You could read the F18 thread. Bugs etc. and get all the info instead of expecting someone to write it up for you.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Ok, thanks.

edit: Well I didn't expect an essay, just a quick 1 minute summary. But thanks. I guess I'll wait.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I'd wait another 6 months and reassess i.e. for LTWS/TWS to be completed and the TPOD to be implemented, as it still 'feels' very 'early access'.

There are several features inc. ground radar that require new DCS tech. to work but the main problem ATM is that some of last year's 'place holder' systems i.e. IFF are now being revised, so are very much WIP.

That's not to say the Hornet doesn't have lots of stuff to do / learn, just that I don't consider it mature enough to recommend at full price.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The Hornet has a lot done but also a lot not done. Do give an idea:

Navigation systems:

Autopilot, except for couples mode

All navigation capabilities except offset waypoint, military grid, and automatic carrier landing system

Coming soon is fully / deeply modeled INS/GPS

AA systems:

Air to air weapons are complete

Air to air radar is missing some general options like electronic counter counter measures, speed gate, and setting channel. Range while search is the only mode right now, but track while scan is coming soon

AG systems:

Guns and rocket are complete. Dumb bombs and laser guided bombs are very near complete. JDAMs are work in progress. No targeting pod or surface radar yet, but the pod should be in June. HARMs are WIP. Mavericks are complete. The rest of the planned AG weapons aren't in at all.

Edited by Jak525

HARMs are about half complete, and perfectly functional in TOO mode. Laser and IR Mavericks are also totally usable.

Otherwise, good summary.

Somehow I completely forgot about Mavs and HARMs lol, let me edit. Thanks!

When we get TWS and the targeting pod, and they've gone through a couple patch cycles each, i'd say it might be ready for you... but until then, the hornet is really lacking some core features, and the technical craziness that comes when large new features like those are released may not be tolerable.