Forum Title

MrDieing

The US Tri-Service Designation System for aircraft defines a standard notation for aircraft models. In its basic form, it consists of:

a capital letter denoting the basic mission (e.g. 'F' for fighter, 'A' for attack)

a mandatory dash '-'

the design number (e.g. 14, 15, 16, 117, 130)

So, why isn't F/A-16?

Buzz

The US Tri-Service Designation System for aircraft defines a standard notation for aircraft models. In its basic form, it consists of:

a capital letter denoting the basic mission (e.g. 'F' for fighter, 'A' for attack)

a mandatory dash '-'

So, why isn't F/A-16?

Because the USAF doesn't want to

a mandatory dash '-'

So, why isn't F/A-16?

I believe that the F-16 was originally designed to be an air superiority fighter only and later on was configured for ground attack as well. The Hornet was designed right from the start to be both fighter and attack.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I believe that the F-16 was originally designed to be an air superiority fighter only and later on was configured for ground attack as well. The Hornet was designed right from the start to be both fighter and attack.

Not necessarily true.

Originally there was going to be an F-18 and A-18, two distinctly different aircraft. Prior to introduction to service they were combined.

Fighting Falcon ftw

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I thought the Viper was put up against the Hornet when first built. The Navy took the Hornet because they wanted a two engine plane. The AF took the Viper. I'm sure they were both multi role planes from the beginning.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Buzz

I thought the Viper was put up against the Hornet when first built. The Navy took the Hornet because they wanted a two engine plane. The AF took the Viper. I'm sure they were both multi role planes from the beginning.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

That's correct.

However keep in mind it is up to the services choice if they want to give it a F/A designation.

The F-4 was always intended to be able to haul bombs, yet it was never the F/A-4, since there was already an A-4...

It's simply not consistent, and it likely never will be.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Actually the Viper was originally designed as a low-cost fighter interceptor that only had heaters. There's a story floating out there about how the original designer was upset when the Viper started going through modifications which ultimately led it to be such a great multirole aircraft.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Actually the Viper was originally designed as a low-cost fighter interceptor that only had heaters. There's a story floating out there about how the original designer was upset when the Viper started going through modifications which ultimately led it to be such a great multirole aircraft.

Yeah..the "great" Pierre Sprey. He's a founding member of the "fighter mafia" and derided the F-15 as being too big, fat, slow, complicated, etc. He's mostly laughed at now, but he's gotten back into headlines by bashing the F-35, despite being utterly taken to the woodshed by a USMC F-35 pilot in a debate.

It may well say Fighting Falcon on the paperwork but everybody involved in the aircraft calls it the Viper.

^This

If it's good enough for Dos Gringos - [NSFW] (who actually flew the F-16C) then it's sure good enough for me! :lol:

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Actually, can we call it the F-16 Iron Eagle?

+1

"God doesn't give people talents that he doesn't want people to use. And he gave you The Touch. It's a power inside of you, down there where you keep your guts boy. It's all you need to blast your way in and get back what they took from you..." - Chappy Sinclair

I know 'Viper' is a very commonly used nickname for the F-16, much more common then the official name 'Fighting Falcon'. But every time I see DCS: F-16C Viper it just feels weird. Any more votes to change the name to DCS: F-16C Fighting Falcon?

Fighting Falcon might be the "Official Name" but "Viper" is all I ever heard them called during my career...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.