ACLS failed landing

MRaza

Possible the hook skipped over the wire. The pitching carrier deck can easily turn a 3 wire approach into a bolter.

So yes, it’s possible for ACLS to miss one of the wires. Definitely better than a ramp strike, though.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

I've gotten 3 and 4 wires with ACLS, it's not perfect.

That said hook skip bolters aren't really being modeled yet, you can come in at some stupid angels/locations and still catch the wire. So if ACLS missed, it missed by a lot because right now landings are really forgiving. How far out were you when you engaged it? 4 to 2 miles seems to be ideal to align the needles and let ACLS get everything right, shorter than that and it tends to aggressively over compensate if you're not already dead on the glidepath (which if you were, why bother to engage ACLS).

I've gotten 3 and 4 wires with ACLS, it's not perfect.

That said hook skip bolters aren't really being modeled yet, you can come in at some stupid angels/locations and still catch the wire. So if ACLS missed, it missed by a lot because right now landings are really forgiving. How far out were you when you engaged it? 4 to 2 miles seems to be ideal to align the needles and let ACLS get everything right, shorter than that and it tends to aggressively over compensate if you're not already dead on the glidepath (which if you were, why bother to engage ACLS).

I wasn't dead on the glidepath which I should have been, so it did have to correct me quite a bit. Probably why it ended up failing

My attemps to land with ACLS to the very end usually ends with it disabling itself close to the deck. Pretty much everytime I have to grab the stick and land by myself 1-2 seconds before touchdown. Approach etc. trim are just fine.

Edited by Blinde

My attemps to land with ACLS to the very end usually ends with it disabling itself close to the deck. Pretty much everytime I have to grab the stick and land by myself 1-2 seconds before touchdown. Approach etc. trim are just fine.

You're touching something in the cockpit. The stick, an autopilot switch. Something.

ACLS doesn't always hit the wire (I've had a single bolter in probably 15-20 ACLS tests) but it will absolutely always land itself.

Take your hands off the stick and throttle until touchdown, sit back and let the plane fly itself. Don't touch a single button once ACLS is engaged and it will fly you right in.

You're touching something in the cockpit. The stick, an autopilot switch. Something.

ACLS doesn't always hit the wire (I've had a single bolter in probably 15-20 ACLS tests) but it will absolutely always land itself.

Take your hands off the stick and throttle until touchdown, sit back and let the plane fly itself. Don't touch a single button once ACLS is engaged and it will fly you right in.

I'm not touching anything. My hands are off the stick and throttle. First I thought it might be random stick error, some button or axis doing actions by itself but since it happens pretty much every time I'm kind of confused.

I'm using X-55 hotas

I'm not touching anything. My hands are off the stick and throttle. First I thought it might be random stick error, some button or axis doing actions by itself but since it happens pretty much every time I'm kind of confused.

I'm using X-55 hotas

How are your deadzones in the stick axis? Possible a small spike is activating pitch or roll. I added like 2% DZ to my VKB Gunfighter just to ensure a reliable 'hands-off' position.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How are your deadzones in the stick axis? Possible a small spike is activating pitch or roll. I added like 2% DZ to my VKB Gunfighter just to ensure a reliable 'hands-off' position.

Not an issue since I have at least 5% on each axis, 10% on rudder.