When to use pulse modes

The AMRAAMer

This. From the manual:

“The AIM-54 has a range of at least 60nm against a fighter sized target at high altitudes in PD-STT.” That’s compared to 50nm in TWS.

absolute range and to see what dots are out there without getting any real info on them.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

No filter is the huge one. If PD didn’t have this significant weakness, particularly in close, there wouldn’t be other modes. And the range loss of Pulse is negated most times by DCS mission scenarios. Rarely are you trying to take out Backfires at maximum range from the carrier. The maps just aren’t that big and we don’t typically want to play over those ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually switch to pulse when the target is starting to enter the notch or within 15-20nm. In ACM you should really always stick to pulse as it's quite easy to shake pd that close in, this is also the reason all the ACM radar modes transfer to pulse.

I usually switch to pulse when the target is starting to enter the notch or within 15-20nm. In ACM you should really always stick to pulse as it's quite easy to shake pd that close in, this is also the reason all the ACM radar modes transfer to pulse.

IRL wouldn't ground clutter be an issue at such short ranges?

Edited by MRaza

Should PSTT and Pulse Search only be used when you are about to be notched in a Pulse Doppler mode? (since it is so vulnerable to ground clutter in real life)

Or is there an advantage to using them for any other reason?

IRL Pulse doppler search mode had weak sensitivity in a situation on the longer range when the enemy plane did manoeuvre perpendicularly to the source of emitting. In this situation had pulse search mode better sensitivity and can detect low receding/ approaching enemy plane.

Modern pulse doppler radars are much better than old AWG-9 and no need cooperation with this non-doppler mode.

Edited by Magot