Force feedback not working in VR

N22YF

My force feedback joystick works totally fine when I play using my monitor, but I get no force feedback at all in VR. I've tried multiple aircraft - no difference. I found a Reddit thread where others were having the same problem (https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/a6amfx/no_force_feedback_while_in_vr_vive/), and someone found a solution for the Steam version of DCS: make sure DCS and SteamVR are closed; then launch SteamVR, and then DCS (in that order). This solution is a little annoying, but works perfectly for me with the Steam version. However, I recently switched to the standalone DCS version (so that I'll be able to take advantage of ED Miles), and I haven't found any way to get force feedback working while in VR with the standalone version (I don't think I can launch standalone DCS from SteamVR?). If anyone knows a workaround, I'm all ears! But would be good to address this bug so force feedback works in VR regardless.

I'm using a Microsoft SideWinder Force Feedback 2 joystick and a Samsung Odyssey+.

DxDiag.txt

dcs.log.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I start like this (MSFFB2 is turned off from USB):

1-I put on Odyssey-I calibrate, remove, minimize all windows.

2- I launch DCS and exit.

3- Minimize Steam VR.

4- I connect MSFFB2.

5- I launch DCS. I turn on the Mi8 quick start to check that everything worked out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This is a DCS only issue so it should be looked into. I have noticed that the way I get it to work is launch wmr for steamvr then open DCS once it has loaded. If you just load DCS the stick will release the centering force as it should when you launch but then it goes back and centres. Then it will not work properly when you fly.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals

This is a DCS only issue so it should be looked into. I have noticed that the way I get it to work is launch wmr for steamvr then open DCS once it has loaded. If you just load DCS the stick will release the centering force as it should when you launch but then it goes back and centres. Then it will not work properly when you fly.

No. This is not just a DCS problem. And not even the VR.

I had the same problems in iL2. In VR and without VR.

I have noticed that the way I get it to work is launch wmr for steamvr then open DCS once it has loaded.

Thanks, this worked for me too! A bit of a pain since I run the standalone version, so once in WMR for SteamVR I have to then open the desktop to launch DCS, but definitely less of a pain than having to launch DCS twice in a row (the method I had been using).

The solution was found!

Connect MSFFB2 to a PCI-E USB controller.

Thanks! I didn't understand exactly what you meant (did you mean: connect to a PCI-e USB expansion card?), but I tried connecting my MSFFB2 to different USB ports and I found one that worked! I had been connecting to a USB3 hub, but when I connected to a USB2 port that's wired directly to the motherboard, it worked! Go figure. So, problem solved for me too! :thumbup:

No. This is not just a DCS problem. And not even the VR.

I had the same problems in iL2. In VR and without VR.

For me this problem is only in DCS in VR. No issues in other games (e.g. Il-2) with VR, and no issues in DCS without VR.

• 1 month later...
I tried connecting my MSFFB2 to different USB ports and I found one that worked! I had been connecting to a USB3 hub, but when I connected to a USB2 port that's wired directly to the motherboard, it worked! Go figure. So, problem solved for me too! :thumbup:.

Ah, false alarm. For some reason that works some of the time but not all the time - I haven't been able to figure out what specific situations allow it to work. :(