External Tanks, Where they always equipped?

MeRLiNttu

EAK-3s and S-3s and KA-6Ds could hand off more fuel for the fighter guys and every jet on the carrier at that point had long legs. The F-18 at that time was thought to be anemic, although we have adapted to it. Believe it or not in the 1970s and early 80s the F-14 was the shortest legged jet on the carrier! The F-18 showed up and aerial refueling was prioritized around the new strikers as it was much more necessary- the F-14 adapted by always carrying tanks.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

The F-18 at that time was thought to be anemic

The same though made the round here. And the reality is that I can fly the Hornet without bags in full AB for half an hour or even more at altitude while the Tomcat with bags, literally twice the fuel, is dry in like 5 minutes... dealwithit.png

Well, if you stay subsonic, the things turn around though as both airframes stay up long well with pretty similar FFs rainbowdashwink.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Having the external tanks mounted at all times was standard practice while at sea starting around the late 1970s. The external tanks have a dedicated hardpoint and don't add much drag so there was little downside to keeping them mounted at all times. The biggest drawback was that it decreased yaw stability just a little bit at higher AOA, including the approach configuration. But it wasn't a big deal for pilots.

But when launching from a ship, aircraft would take as much fuel as practical so mounting the tanks was preferred. Plus, removing them requires storage and such, so best to just leave them on the aircraft. It is different for other aircraft where the tanks are sharing hardpoints that may be needed for ordnance.

While ashore, it was common to remove them, though things like airwing strike rehearsals at Fallon would generally include them since its the configuration flown from the boat. But for things like ACM dets and FFARP they would remove them and allow pilots to enjoy the clean airframe.

-Nick

The same though made the round here. And the reality is that I can fly the Hornet without bags in full AB for half an hour or even more at altitude while the Tomcat with bags, literally twice the fuel, is dry in like 5 minutes... dealwithit.png

Well, if you stay subsonic, the things turn around though as both airframes stay up long well with pretty similar FFs rainbowdashwink.png

In "Tanker Pilot: Lessons from the Cockpit - Mark Hasara" the author specifically mentions the challenges of keeping enough tankers in the air to service "C" Hornets due to their high fuel burn rates compared to other planes in inventory at the time.

It's funny because the F/A-18 lasts a lot longer in full AB than the F-14B currently does ingame.

Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

It's funny because the F/A-18 lasts a lot longer in full AB than the F-14B currently does ingame.

The FF with the cans lit is almost twice of what it should be actually (compared to FF calculated by specific FF and thrust). Did some testing weeks ago and posted the results somewhere on here. Up to MIL is fine though.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

ive noticed that too which surprised me, fm issue or is this accurate? (i also dont get away from hornets on the deck which really surprised me)

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

The FF with the cans lit is almost twice of what it should be actually (compared to FF calculated by specific FF and thrust). Did some testing weeks ago and posted the results somewhere on here. Up to MIL is fine though.

Interesting, haven't tested it or searched the manual for the specific FF myself, I've just noted that the Hornet lasts a lot longer on internal fuel in AB than the Cat, like a lot.

I agree. The f-14 in burner is awfully short

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

During DACT off the east coast, it was a regular thing that the Cats would call "Knock it off, I'm out of gas" when "fighting" VFC-12. I know this isn't very scientific, but the Cats were regularly out of gas before the Bugs.

Sorry, no cool signature here.