VR Hands Sometimes

JimRooney

The VR hands sorta work for me and sorta don't.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to improve this?

If I don't show the hands (VR settings), then I can manipulate most/all of the controls.

If I show the hands however, I can only manipulate some of the controls.

For example, without the hands, I can raise the flaps in the P51 (stock and addon).

I sorta have to guess around to get it though as I don't have something showing me what I'm pointing at.

If I show the hands, then I can do the grip pointer thing and select some controls and manipulate them, but only some of them. The flaps are my go-to example of something that doesn't work if I show the hands.

On a related note... closing the canopy is a hilariously frustrating ordeal. It starts to close, then opens a bit, then closes, then opens and just as you get it closed and release the button, it pops open just a smidge. Ah, fun times. I'll map that to a button or key if need be. I just find it humorous.

Any way to get those hands to work any better?

It sounds like some people are having success to some degree.

And a big thank you to @mcgen for solving the missing hands issue...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=210145&highlight=Oculus+Touch

• 2 weeks later...

I've discovered some things....

For whatever reason, it seems that I can manipulate the flaps with my left controller only. That's close enough for now... at least I can do it.

I think I've gotten my head around some of the wackeyness as well. In the loading screen, when I use my grip button, the cursor (white circle) appears on screen, but very low. I have to point nearly to the ceiling for it to come to the bottom of the loader-screen.

So, with that in mind, when I'm trying to pull the flaps up, I thought "hey... you probably have to point way higher than you intend"... and that seems to work.

Same with the Rudder Trim.

The joy now is that I can start and fly the plane almost entirely in VR. I just have to sort out something for rudder pedals. I'm thinking I'll use Vjoy to try to map the thumbsticks... not even really sure if that's possible.

Either way, it feels great to fly the plane "hands on" and not HOTAS. There's just something about the controls being in the right place. I reckon I can use physical rudders without an issue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to build a physical flight stick that can be aligned with the VR stick.

Happy times.

Hey Jim, if you are using the Oculus Touch it seems the right controller doesn’t need the grip press to action the cockpit controls, while the left does require a a grip press. I reported it on a different thread bu got no reply.

I mostly manage my cockpit with the touch controls except flaps and gear that are mapped to my throttle buttons.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
if you are using the Oculus Touch it seems the right controller doesn’t need the grip press to action the cockpit controls, while the left does require a a grip press. I reported it on a different thread bu got no reply

I hope this is a bug... have triggered so many switches already without wanting to by just putting that right Touch controller away (like the Hornet canopy thing on the right side).

Also it would be great if they'd just disappear (by option) after a few seconds just like the mouse cursor does. Looks kinda strange to have those hands floating outside of the cockpit, but that's where I'm able to drop the controllers if I don't need them fsgrin.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I hope this is a bug... have triggered so many switches already without wanting to by just putting that right Touch controller away (like the Hornet canopy thing on the right side).

Also it would be great if they'd just disappear (by option) after a few seconds just like the mouse cursor does. Looks kinda strange to have those hands floating outside of the cockpit, but that's where I'm able to drop the controllers if I don't need them fsgrin.png

I hope it is as well, because if it's a "feature" it's not working. What I usually do, I use both controllers during pre-flight and then I put away the right one before taxi. (I got tired and learnt, after jettison the canopies of the 18, 14 and Mig 21 so many times)