Sidewinder FFB2 - Is this normal?

Hello all,

Managed to snag a cheap one on e-bay. Just wondering a few things I'm observing are normal?

(1) At certain areas of the joystick travel, the motors emit a high pitch squealing noise.

(2) When I move the joystick around, the motion doesn't feel completely smooth, almost like I can feel the stepping of the gears.

edit: For (2), it occurs even when the ffb is off.

Thanks!

Edited by JoeyJoJoJunior

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV

Motors shouldn't make sounds audible while playing. But you can feel a stepping of the motor in all of them. When in action it is something not too disturbing after you learned to be precise with it.

The stepping shouldn't be pronounced as I have a few FFB sidewinders to compare (they are all a tiny bit different with a stepping motor feeling)

For the sound issue:

One should realise that after 10 years some issues may occur after some usage, storage temps/humidity etc .. in the end the grease suffered or other stuff happened.

Maybe open the casing without (power)cables connected and see if a grease could eliminate the sounds at the motors and moving parts.

Having a look at modding your ffb stick, extension and grip. Find the topics on the forum and off you go :thumbup:

Thanks, fellas. The stepping isn't bad or anything, just feels so different from my normal stick, wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that way. I'll have a look inside and grease things up :thumbup:

Having a look at modding your ffb stick, extension and grip. Find the topics on the forum and off you go :thumbup:

That's the plan. Really loving it so far. I've tried most of my modules with it, and the Heatblur stuff in particular is really stunning with all the little FFB effects they've thrown in there. Trimming the Huey took some getting used to but is way nicer with FFB.

edit: Just realized. It's not squealing anymore. Guess playing with it for a bit loosened things up. Sweet!

i7 6700k @ 4.6, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, 32GB DDR4 2666, GTX 1070, Rift S | MS Sidewinder FFB2 w/ TM F-22 Pro Grip, TM TWCS Throttle, VKB T-Rudder Mk. IV