Looking for a Hornet instructor

FLANKERATOR

You can't get better instruction than from a real Hornet pilot.

Actually it depends. If you want to learn real life procedures then I fully agree.

If you just want to beat the game and own PvP the good gamer can take advantage of all the quirks and bugs coming from the simple fact that simulators are not yet perfect representation of real world.

Can Lex do this? ;)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Actually it depends. If you want to learn real life procedures then I fully agree.

If you just want to beat the game and own PvP the good gamer can take advantage of all the quirks and bugs coming from the simple fact that simulators are not yet perfect representation of real world.

Can Lex do this? ;)

Would I rather be taught by a real pilot or a gamer? Let me think about that for a nanosecond. I'll take Lex.

Buzz

Spudknocker is doing lessons for $15 an hour. He just posted the video of him training Baltic Dragon on the Hornet a week or so ago.

Wait what? Doesn't this violate some section of the end user agreement about using this simulator for comercial purposes? This is weird.

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

Can Lex do this? ;)

What exactly? I must be missing it.

This all can be summarize with: what does one want to learn exactly, can one learn what they want to learn from source X Y or Z, will one learn it from source x y or z faster than one can discover simply through doing safely on their own, and finally does one believe it is all worth their time/money for the monetized instruction recieved.

Evaluating how to begin "learning", from the perspective of someone who has limited knowledge about the *thing* thay want to learn, that someone simply doesn't know what they don't know or even need to know, leaving them open to being taken advantage of. DCS is a game, you don't need to pay money for an "instructor" to learn how to play, let alone risk being taken advantage of.

I would not adhere to the argument from authority that becaus anyone has title X in front of their name that they know what they are talking about. Nor do I believe that "payment" = "quality" or that "ability to do" = "ability to teach". The only sure bet in digging through all this is to not waste your money when the information is free to the most practical extent.

Save your money, watch some vids , ask some questions, make some friends. You'r learning a game, not preparing for an anual instrument/EP check ride. "Just chill Winston "

Edited by Lex Talionis

Find us on Discord. https://discord.gg/td9qeqg

Wait what? Doesn't this violate some section of the end user agreement about using this simulator for comercial purposes? This is weird.

I don't think so. Both end users (trainer and trainee) use their own respective copies of DCS. All they exchange is information not the software itself.

It would be a violation if you made others pay to use your own copy of DCS.

As for real pilots, with all due respect they are not Gods. Of course they would be well versed in procedures and avionics but combat wise I have yet to see a real stick win against the best DCS guys.

If you want to learn how to become a good bfm player for instance, you'd rather learn from the best DCS guys not real life pilots. Truth is that a DCS expert would toy with a real pilot with limited DCS training.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

What exactly? I must be missing it.

It's an example of the Hornet killing several F-14s and F-15s flying almost straight at them and defeating any enemy's A2A missile with his 9X. Certainly not something you learn at CNATRA ;)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

It's an example of the Hornet killing several F-14s and F-15s flying almost straight at them and defeating any enemy's A2A missile with his 9X. Certainly not something you learn at CNATRA ;)

If that is the case, and it is do-able in the game, im sure it is as anything else in life, Ya figure it out and practice it.

No we dont carry live ordinance in the training command. We get that stuff at the FRS. I am not sure the point you are trying to make ? Are you making a case for paying to learn a game ? Hey knock youself out, it is just not needed.

Nope. They just teach us not to take a single ship into a fight like that in the first place. ;)

If that is the case, and it is do-able in the game, im sure it is as anything else in life, Ya figure it out and practice it.

No we dont carry live ordinance in the training command. We get that stuff at the FRS. I am not sure the point you are trying to make ? Are you making a case for paying to learn a game ? Hey knock youself out, it is just not needed.

No offece, relax. I already made my point in post #29. And no, I'm not into paying for learning a game.

If you want to learn how to become a good bfm player for instance, you'd rather learn from the best DCS guys not real life pilots. Truth is that a DCS expert would toy with a real pilot with limited DCS training.

I have said this many times myself . You can not learn to fly an actual aircraft portrayed in this game and would surely kill youself thinking you could, just as i would never expect to be good at a game simply because i operate in the real world the game is trying to portray. This is the argument from authority i was speaking to earlier.

I have a fealing this is going to turn into an "us versus the pilots" bickering match. You will notice i never made an argument for who to get help from, only if getting help to learn a game was worth a fee.

Why would you pay? Lol Soooooo, many YouTube vids.

Probably because this way one can get instructed by a real (real-world) active/former Hornet pilot/instructor? ;) (At least afaik there's no DCS Hornet YouTuber that really flew the Hornet other than C.W. Lemoine, who sadly only flew in a non-hostile environment iirc (unlike BlueFlag Persian Gulf PvP server for example, with only AIM-120Bs instead of -120Cs, for balancing reasons)

Or does anyone here know another DCS PvP Hornet YouTuber who IRL flew/flies Hornet (or actually any US fighter)?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

There should be an /s here at the end, because there's zero truth here.

Of course they would be well versed in procedures and avionics but combat wise I have yet to see a real stick win against the best DCS guys.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I would advise against paying anyone on the internet for "lessons" or instructions. Getting this far and into a system that can run DCS reasonably well costs an investment...no need to pay more. Enjoy the ride, watch the numerous free tutorial videos out there.

I will echo Lex's stance that authority here doesn't necessarily translate well in the sim, and vice verse. There is stuff the sim does that the aircraft doesn't and the other way around. Why pay someone to teach you when you can go and fly yourself?

FYI my day rate as a real world PIC is 1600 bucks with instruction. One day consists of 8 hours worth of flying, meals, per diem, and hotels. If you are going to charge, its worth charging right! So that equates to 200 bucks an hour, but hey! I m a real world PIC...which means I should REALLY know my stuff when it comes to DCS right?

No. Save your money, find a virtual group, and have some fun.

No sarcasm intended. Maybe an IMO, which I recommend you to use as well. (unless you are a real pilot who stood out in the pvp scene).

I said it before - virtual skies are not real skies and real skies are not virtual skies. A lot of people think hat real aviators would prevail in DCS, and a lot of others think DCS players would do just fine in the real thing. None is true (IMO).

As for purchasing DCS lessons, it's up to people, some have time, some others have no time but do have money and they would rather skip figuring things out on their own.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj

I think this could be true. Not because DCS players are better but it's because real pilots/aviators would *NEVER* do the things that gamers do. I believe the muscle memory of real flying has to be "forgotten" than it would be game over.

Again, real world habits can be a detriment (I believe). But when is saw Gonky and Mover flying in formation so effortlessly, it was very very cool.

Or when the F14 aviator stuck the landing 10 times in a row. Very cool

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1