Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Where are the instructions for this kit ? Not the flimsy enclosed, the real instructions.

Yep, agreed. Some basic instructions would be useful for VR novices particularly. There is nothing in the supplied ones about the system button, how to activate the camera, the IPD slider, the eye comfort knob on the side, SteamVR etc.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have no idea how to activate camera lol

Exactly! Double press of the system button on the underside. Or, double press of the system button on a controller.

You can also set it to translucent passthrough mode so you see the outside world as it is, not in reverse. (Lots of settign for this in SteamVR.)

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Valve Info

Index Fit Guide - SteamVR

Help With VR Hardware

SteamVR Index Support FAQ

Index Setup Guide - SteamVR

Headset - Valve Index

Single lighthouse directly in front of my position, about 3 feet above head. Check 6 seems fine.

Where are the instructions for this kit ? Not the flimsy enclosed, the real instructions.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Exactly! Double press of the system button on the underside. Or, double press of the system button on a controller.

You can also set it to translucent passthrough mode so you see the outside world as it is, not in reverse. (Lots of settign for this in SteamVR.)

Can you also map the passthrough cameras to a key on the keyboard? Or a button on the HOTAS?

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

@Brixmis, thanks but thats not what i call instructions. Seems just a collection of frequently asked questions. Not even a diagram. Not what i would expect for the money. Floundering around as a complete nube.

Regarding the camera i thought it might not be an active feature yet. Did not know about the button but more than that its shown inactive in steamvr settings somewhere. It suggests my usb3 on main board might not be suitable "try another". I realy did think the feature was not yet enabled.

Another thing i learned by chance of reading here was how (as a non controller owner) to get anywhere within the vr home screen. But only got 1 step further even so as not having the means to select anything.

Edited by CobaltUK

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

If you look at all the links, they are not all FAQs (think only one or two are) - but these are the instructions given and I think they are pretty clear, as it's not difficult at all. The FAQs tell you how it should be set up, too.

There was a PDF for setting up the sensors as well, but I can't remember where that was - I did post a link somewhere earlier in this thread (before Index was released).

This one does a decent job:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9140-EYIL-0086

4th on that list I posted - like I said, it isn't difficult at all. Just put them on a shelf or desk facing the centre of your play area - the higher they are the better (but if higher, male sure you angle them down) and power them up - endex.

Going through the set-up procedure in SteamVR should show you this as well, but I can't remember for sure.

Wanting a diagram when they show videos seems a bit, well, looking for something to not be happy about, tbh.

Here's the pdf - took me seconds to find via Google using "Valve Index Set-up":

LINK

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

The link you posted is the exact same document that is supplied with the headset in the box. It is the same one that CobaltUK above described as 'the flimsy enclosed'.

Not everyone has the VR experience that maybe you and I have had over the last couple of years, and I do agree with what was said about the fairly inadequate basic guide supplied with a pretty expensive piece of kit.

As an example, where is there any mention of the system button on the bottom, or how to use the camera.

I would imagine that a total newcomer to VR would be quite confused by the information supplied with the Index.

This is a fairly trivial matter, but I do feel that Valve could have put in a bit more effort in this respect.

I've heard of a few people who had issues like that - as long as they replace them without hassle, I suppose it's luck of the draw if you get a duff one.

Support have just assured me they are still working on the vertical lines issue - but they don't seem confident of finding a full solution.

Kneeboard Guides

Guys, let me tell you about my support experience in exchanging my faulty (audio cutting out) headset.

Let me say from the outset, that the level of service was/is excellent!

Rapid, intelligent response offering helpful suggestions and offering to send me an advance replacement so that I could try different cable/connection combinations.

The replacement headset arrived in about 3 days, and I have to send back the faulty item within 14 days.

Some of the best customer service I have come across in decades!

Anyway, the new headset sorted the audio issue, but I was now experiencing the 'vertical lines' problem that some have reported on. The first thing that is interesting about this, is that it was not (or hardly) present in my original headset, but was obvious from the start on the replacement. The second - and most interesting - thing is, that after a day of use, the lines have pretty much gone, and are now the same as my original headset. Difficult to explain. The only things that have changed are an update to SteamVR to 1.7.7 and a few hours of use.

Another thing that is difficult to explain, is the change in my fps over the last few days.

Previously, with Motion Smootihng on, I was pretty much locked at 45fps, going less in built up locations, etc. Now, I get 58-60fps in circumstances where I was previously getting 45fps.

Now, that soiunds like a plus, but I'm not so sure. At varying rates the movement can be more jerky. At first, I thought that Motion Smoothig wasn't working, as if I switched it off, I was getting a solid 45fps. However, the acid test I use - moving (not turning) head left to right when looking at cockpit dials - failed, i.e. I was getting the non-MS double image effect that MS smooths out, so clearly it was on after all and 'working'. However, it should be locking at 45 not varying up to 60.

So, not sure about either of these points. What do you think?

Another thing that is difficult to explain, is the change in my fps over the last few days.

Previously, with Motion Smootihng on, I was pretty much locked at 45fps, going less in built up locations, etc. Now, I get 58-60fps in circumstances where I was previously getting 45fps.

Now, that soiunds like a plus, but I'm not so sure. At varying rates the movement can be more jerky. At first, I thought that Motion Smoothig wasn't working, as if I switched it off, I was getting a solid 45fps. However, the acid test I use - moving (not turning) head left to right when looking at cockpit dials - failed, i.e. I was getting the non-MS double image effect that MS smooths out, so clearly it was on after all and 'working'. However, it should be locking at 45 not varying up to 60.

So, not sure about either of these points. What do you think?

Sounds like you are running at 120Hz and was on 90 before.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Sounds like you are running at 120Hz and was on 90 before.

Good theory, but no, always been on 90. It's very weird. No one else seen a change in the last couple of days?

my valve index station (only ordered one) is already dead, blinks red after almost 2 weeks….

happened to me too, i made a supportticket and sent it back for free, and got a replacement 3 days later. Now it works fine.

met vriendelijke groet,

Михель

"умный, спортсмен, комсомолетс"

[sIGPIC]159th_pappavis.jpg[/sIGPIC]

[TABLE]SPECS: i9-9900K 32gigs RAM, Geforce 2070RTX, Creative XFi Fata1ity, TIR5, Valve Index & HP Reverb, HOTAS Warthog, Logitech G933 Headset, 10Tb storage.[/TABLE]

Good theory, but no, always been on 90. It's very weird. No one else seen a change in the last couple of days?

The framerate is no longer locked with motion smoothing on, and I'm hoping this is a bug. I'm seeing varying frames from 60-70 in Hornet free flight with my current settings, normally locked at 60 with 120Hz refresh rate. People who aren't seeing this either didn't update their SteamVR or haven't been playing.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The framerate is no longer locked with motion smoothing on, and I'm hoping this is a bug. I'm seeing varying frames from 60-70 in Hornet free flight with my current settings, normally locked at 60 with 120Hz refresh rate. People who aren't seeing this either didn't update their SteamVR or haven't been playing.

Thanks. Glad it’s not just me! As you say, let’s hope this is a bug!

No change in last night's 1.7.8 update, sadly.

I just tried iRacing and at 120 the fps was all over the place and very jerky, at 90 it dropped down to a solid 45fps at some points and back to 90 the rest, nothing in between. For me it was 120 where the issue is.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I just tried iRacing and at 120 the fps was all over the place and very jerky, at 90 it dropped down to a solid 45fps at some points and back to 90 the rest, nothing in between. For me it was 120 where the issue is.

What I have found is that it is fine in some games, but not others. I am running at 90 and unfortunately, DCS is one of the ones that doesn't work, i.e. jerks around at 55-60fps when it should be smooth at 45.

Is it possible to roll back to older versions of SteamVR?

What I have found is that it is fine in some games, but not others. I am running at 90 and unfortunately, DCS is one of the ones that doesn't work, i.e. jerks around at 55-60fps when it should be smooth at 45.

Is it possible to roll back to older versions of SteamVR?

You can opt out of the beta.

There is a way of downloading an older version and preventing Steam from updating it, I will see if I can find the instructions.

You can opt out of the beta.

There is a way of downloading an older version and preventing Steam from updating it, I will see if I can find the instructions.

Of course, why didn't I think of that???

So, I went back to the release version, and everything is now back to normal with MS working at 45fps - nice and smooth.

I'll wait for a couple of beta updates and see if this issue gets fixed.

Thanks!

Of course, why didn't I think of that???

So, I went back to the release version, and everything is now back to normal with MS working at 45fps - nice and smooth.

I'll wait for a couple of beta updates and see if this issue gets fixed.

Thanks!

That's good because I think the way I saw of rolling back SteamVR no longer works!

Anyone else get the SteamVR loading screen more than anything else when loading up missions?

I didn't get this with the Rift CV1, but it's been like it since I got the Index.

I'm about to invest in a new PSU as well - I think the OCZ 700W PSU I bought for my previous upgrade is barely enough now, so I'll pick up a Corsair 850W instead.

Can't see what would make me see SteamVR load screen, though - maybe my paging file settings? I optimised those a while back and haven't touched them since.

Kneeboard Guides

Anyone else get the SteamVR loading screen more than anything else when loading up missions?

I didn't get this with the Rift CV1, but it's been like it since I got the Index.

I'm about to invest in a new PSU as well - I think the OCZ 700W PSU I bought for my previous upgrade is barely enough now, so I'll pick up a Corsair 850W instead.

Can't see what would make me see SteamVR load screen, though - maybe my paging file settings? I optimised those a while back and haven't touched them since.

Have you ticked the 'Do not fade to grid when app hangs' in the Developer section of Settings?