Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Last week I received my valve index and I have been doing several tests with DCS and my rig (9700K, 2080Ti and 32GB). My configuration is SteamVR SS of 200% with MSAA set to x2, and the refresh rate to 120Hz.

If I disable motion smoothing, I get a mean frame rate of around 65 FPS flying over Dubai, but when I fly low, I see some kind of ghosting effect in the buildings and vehicles.

On the other hand, if I enable motion smoothing feature, this ghosting effect nearly dissapears, but I start seen some kind of jumps inside the cockpit and the builds, which are very erratic. The performance for this case is nearly 40 FPS, but running quite smooth.

Are you experiencing this effects? Maybe the problem could be the reprojection? In my case is enabled (I don't know how to disable it).

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I received my valve index and I have been doing several tests with DCS and my rig (9700K, 2080Ti and 32GB). My configuration is SteamVR SS of 200% with MSAA set to x2, and the refresh rate to 120Hz.

If I disable motion smoothing, I get a mean frame rate of around 65 FPS flying over Dubai, but when I fly low, I see some kind of ghosting effect in the buildings and vehicles.

On the other hand, if I enable motion smoothing feature, this ghosting effect nearly dissapears, but I start seen some kind of jumps inside the cockpit and the builds, which are very erratic. The performance for this case is nearly 40 FPS, but running quite smooth.

Are you experiencing this effects? Maybe the problem could be the reprojection? In my case is enabled (I don't know how to disable it).

That behaviour is correct. If your system is unable to reach the target fps, 120 in your case, then it will lock to half that, i.e. 60, and 'fill in' the missing frames. If it can't reach half, then it goes to a thrid, i.e. 40 when set to 120Hz. If you are seeing 40, then it is far too low.

Like you, I could not maintain 60 with MS on when I tried running at 120, so I reverted to 90 and I get a solid 45fps which is smooth and perfectly good for DCS.

To be honest, I couldn't see any difference between 120 and 90 anyway.

There are different artifacts with MS on and off. Up to you which you prefer. Most people I have come across prefer the smoothness of MS on.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

That behaviour is correct. If your system is unable to reach the target fps, 120 in your case, then it will lock to half that, i.e. 60, and 'fill in' the missing frames. If it can't reach half, then it goes to a thrid, i.e. 40 when set to 120Hz. If you are seeing 40, then it is far too low.

Like you, I could not maintain 60 with MS on when I tried running at 120, so I reverted to 90 and I get a solid 45fps which is smooth and perfectly good for DCS.

To be honest, I couldn't see any difference between 120 and 90 anyway.

There are different artifacts with MS on and off. Up to you which you prefer. Most people I have come across prefer the smoothness of MS on.

Thank you for the advice, I have tested at 90 Hz (MS on) and I get solid 45 FPS, where those jumps nearly have disappeared.

Which are your MSAA and filtering settings?

Thank you for the advice, I have tested at 90 Hz (MS on) and I get solid 45 FPS, where those jumps nearly have disappeared.

Which are your MSAA and filtering settings?

Pretty similar to yours. MSAA x2 and SS @ 204%.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yes, AF seems to have no effect on fps. In fact, IMO, with our level of kit, I find that only MSAA, SS/PD and shadows have much of an effect on performance. All the other stuff doesn't seem to make much difference.

The 204% was suggested some time ago as being the closet - 2876x3196 - we could get to 2x res which in theory makes the sampling more efficient. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but I stick with it!

Yes, AF seems to have no effect on fps. In fact, IMO, with our level of kit, I find that only MSAA, SS/PD and shadows have much of an effect on performance. All the other stuff doesn't seem to make much difference.

The 204% was suggested some time ago as being the closet - 2876x3196 - we could get to 2x res which in theory makes the sampling more efficient. Whether it's true or not, I don't know, but I stick with it!

It makes sense... actually I tried both SS values and there is some improvement for 204% value.

Have you ticked the 'Do not fade to grid when app hangs' in the Developer section of Settings?

Arghh!

Why did I not know this until now? Has annoyed the living daylights out of me (using a Vive) where it during loading pops back and forth into the "grid".

Thanks a lot!

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

Arghh!

Why did I not know this until now? Has annoyed the living daylights out of me (using a Vive) where it during loading pops back and forth into the "grid".

Thanks a lot!

Happy to help when and if I can!

That's good to hear - I haven't had a chance to try it yet. It has affected me in some other games as well, so will help all round.

I'm surprised I didn't read about it on other forums.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I received my Index today and proceeded to install and fly with it for about three hours online tonight. The overall quality of the unit is better than any other I've tried. Those being the CV1, Pimax5K+, Odyssey gen1 and the Rift S. Speakers are good, mic is good, it's super comfortable, IPD works like a champ and with my eyesight. I only bought 1 base station so tracking was meh.

Now to image quality.... WTF? My CV1 is clearer and before anyone brings up my settings I'm a pro at tweaking steam from my time with the Pimax. Check my signature for my PC specs but DCS can't even use all of it. The highest I could get my custom resolution before having weird ass graphics issues, like the mirrors in the 18 warping like they were water was 150%. With PD in game at 1.0 and FSAA at 2x. Anything higher and it would stutter and warp. I don't use shadows, my trees were at 80% Preload all the way up but everything else on the right side of settings was low or off. Basically, it's exactly how I run my CV1 but with a lower PD. The DDI's in the F18 free flight could hardly be read without leaning in. They're crystal clear in the CV1. It basically looks like the Pimax5K+ did but runs smoother.

I can't use the S because of my IPD, I didn't like the original Odyssey because of WMR at the time and the Pimax was a nightmare. Forgive me for the rant but I really wanted this to work lol. Have other CV1 users experienced the same clarity issues with the Index or does my 4 month old Asus 2080Ti OC have something wrong with it?? Lol Of course my buddy got his Reverb and is drooling about how clear everything is and I can't use the damn thing because of my IPD. I hate this ****ing hobby sometimes.

Rant over.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

The simple fact is there is something wrong with what you are doing, or you have a faulty unit.

For me, the leap from my CV1 to the Vive Pro was huge in terms of clarity, and the jump from the VP to the Index was also significant.

I had a Reverb, and although the one thing it did better than the Index was that it was a bit clearer, I didn’t feel it was significantly better, especially when running the Index at my current 204% SS.

Does anyone have an advice on the mic of the index? I cannot get windows to recognize the mic although it is shown in the recording devices.

I already tried changing the audio settings in SteamVR but that didn't help.

1278244525_Recordingdevicesupdated.thumb.PNG.ad5f7191716d4c068d37bb88d58920b9.PNG

Does anyone have an advice on the mic of the index? I cannot get windows to recognize the mic although it is shown in the recording devices.

I already tried changing the audio settings in SteamVR but that didn't help.

If you have an Nvidia card you may need to install their hd audio drivers but eitehr way it sounds like a driver issue

The simple fact is there is something wrong with what you are doing, or you have a faulty unit.

For me, the leap from my CV1 to the Vive Pro was huge in terms of clarity, and the jump from the VP to the Index was also significant.

I had a Reverb, and although the one thing it did better than the Index was that it was a bit clearer, I didn’t feel it was significantly better, especially when running the Index at my current 204% SS.

I completely agree and in the nicest possible way it is simply not possible that things are "crystal clear" in the CV1 no matter how much SS or PD thrown at it.

The only thing I think is the focal length of CV1 and Index my be slightly different hence the need for glasses or there is something awry with the unit or settings.

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

@Wicked.-

Your hardware is beefy enough, you should be able to run the game at very high settings (like mine https://forums.eagle.r/showpost.php?p=4017205&postcount=9)

However, the latest two OB versions of DCS introduced performance issues with the latest SteamVR beta. So if you are not running SteamVR 1.6.10 you will problably never achieve acceptable performance at any setting at the moment.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I have realised that MSAA was off, and after changing it to x2, the performance has dropped to 30 FPS over Dubai, mainly doing aggressive manoeuvres. The display quality is also much better.

With 204% SS in SteamVR, what PD setting do you have in DCS?

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index

With 204% SS in SteamVR, what PD setting do you have in DCS?

PD is always set to 1.0 for me. I find Steam SS more efficient than DCS PD.

PD is always set to 1.0 for me. I find Steam SS more efficient than DCS PD.

Ok thanks. Are there any differences between the two? I mean, PD is supposed to do the same thing as SS, isn't it?

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Geforce GTX 1080 Ti | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 2400 MHz (2800 OC) | Asus Strix Z270E Gaming | Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD 1 TB | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD 500 GB | WD NAS Red 2TB SATA3 | Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i v2 | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | Saitek PRO rudder pedals | Valve Index