Valve Index Hands On

aileron

So for you guys that have used both the Index and the Reverb in DCS, is there really that significant of a difference visually?

In my opinion, yes.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you clarify or quantify this statement? Thanks!!

I can say in answer to the question ‘is there really that significant of a difference visually’, in my opinion, yes.

I can’t quantify it, no. Sorry.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

From my short usage of the Reverb I can confirm that is is clearer. The image just looks tighter is the best way to describe it. More pixels and less gaps or the need to fill those gaps with SS.

If I could actually use the Reverb using the OpenVR tool to fix the slight cross eyed image I get from an IPD of 58 I would consider getting one. I have 3 squad mates that have the Reverb and they’re all happy with it. They still run into issues caused from updates to SteamVR, DCS and WMR but they usually get fixed quickly. Also, every tweak I’ve come across lately has had a direct effect for the better on the Reverb. I’m assuming because they were all Windows based tweaks and directly effect WMR. Nothing I’ve tried lately has made an improvement to the Index though. Lol that more than anything makes me want to try it.

That said, my only complaint with the Index is frame rates but even they have gotten much better. Flying single player on the Round Table Mission Caucasus, my Video memory is around 15Gb but for the most most part I’m at 45 FPS even on the ground. Image quality in the Viper has gotten very good even though I don’t use MSAA. The one thing I’d notice going to the Reverb is the reduction in FOV. Regardless how clear it is, it looks like a periscope compared to the Index.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I can say in answer to the question ‘is there really that significant of a difference visually’, in my opinion, yes.

I can’t quantify it, no. Sorry.

Bravo !! I meant which you preferred...

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I have connected very quickly the reverb and comparing to the index, the image is much more cleaner. But I need time to configure everything correctly... included the IPD.

Imacken, what are your SS and frequency settings? I read contradictory information, in some places say to put 200%, other says 100%...

Personally, I use 150% SS and 90Hz. I get a solid 45fps with 90fps at times particularly in NTTR.

Pretty high settings in DCS with no MSAA.

Play around with stuff though. I feel that the only thing worth adjusting are MSAA, SS and shadows.

Impossible to put a number in it. Just compare the number of pixels as a starting point.

It’s not like a periscope at all. Just a few degrees less than the Index.

Personally, I use 150% SS and 90Hz. I get a solid 45fps with 90fps at times particularly in NTTR.

Pretty high settings in DCS with no MSAA.

Play around with stuff though. I feel that the only thing worth adjusting are MSAA, SS and shadows.

It seems that the you can achieve good performance with higher settings, and at the same time better image quality. In any case I'm trying to compare both HMDs... What is your motionReprojectionMode setting? I have been flying with auto mode, but I noticed that the Index works much better. Tomorrow I will try the motionvector setting.

It seems that the you can achieve good performance with higher settings, and at the same time better image quality. In any case I'm trying to compare both HMDs... What is your motionReprojectionMode setting? I have been flying with auto mode, but I noticed that the Index works much better. Tomorrow I will try the motionvector setting.

I use Auto mode which works nicely for me.

Since this thread seems to be frequented by people who really know what they are talking about, I might as well ask my question here. I have been looking for a headset upgrade for a long time now. Currently I own a rift cv1. The index seems to be my only choice. I have a Ipd if 72. Do you think the index is worth a try or do I have other options that I am missing. I would be using the headset for dcs and flightsimming only. Any thoughts are much appreciated. It is afterall a big investment.

My limited opinion is that for IPD the manual adjustment on the Index

Helped immensely with my setup and image quality. I had my optometrist send me my script and adjusted IPD and ordered lenses. So a plus for the Index (worth the premium ? Dunno)

As for the whole 120mhz thing, probably great for some games but not DCS unless I’m missing the gravy boat!

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

The index is the only option for those of us with IPD’s outside 59 or 71mm. Yes it’s expensive in comparison to the rest but the build quality and features are exponentially better than anything else on the market. It has both mechanical IPD and eye relief adjustment, extremely comfortable catchers mask style mount like the CV1 but easier to adjust, excellent quality headphones that sit off the ear, built in mic and la cable that is no heavier than the CV1. You’ll need base stations, some people could get away with one however I could not. No need for controllers with DCS so with headset and 2 new base stations you’re looking at $800. However, you can pick up some used 1.0 base stations for cheaper and they work. You WILL want to have the fastest computer money can buy though. The pixel count is lower than the Reverb and takes a lot of SS.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I have Valve Index. Terrible glare, no black, shimmering. Nice HMD, but Samsung Odyssey works better in DCS for cheap price.

Wysłane z mojego LG-H870 przy użyciu Tapatalka

I kind of agree with this statement. In hindsight, DCS has not been worth the investment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The odyssey + has been rock solid for me. Having had any major issue.

I have not used any other beside the O+, just been following users experience.

It looks like I'll be holding on the O+ untill another major upgrade in vr headset is introduced.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I guess I will be doing some research about the O+ then. And then figure out how to ship it to Europe. I was told it has fixed lenses and thus software ipd adjustment. Is that correct? Does anyone has a link where I can do some reading about that? I can’t imagine how that would work. How can you get a sharp image without physically moving the lenses? Thank for the input so far.

Is this a dcs issue or does the index suffer from these problems with every game.

No, that's Index problems.

LCD = no black.

double fresnel lens = terrible glare

Black level and color saturation are a problem in all HMDes with LCD displays. Samsung uses OLED.

These problems are not felt in games that are not dark and do not have too complicated lighting.

Valve Index has much better tracking and controllers, but this is not important in DCS.

Sorry for my gogle translator language ;-)

ps.

I prefer samsung Odyssey without plus, it has a picture like vive pro without anti sde. (anti sde gives a little blurry image)

Edited by gcze

I prefer samsung Odyssey without plus, it has a picture like vive pro without anti sde. (anti sde gives a little blurry image)

I really wish the SDE things is a software selectable feature rather than a fixed hardware feature.

Like to see how the odyssey headset will look without the soft film-like covering in my view.

The colors and black level are rich and vibrant though.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

From my short usage of the Reverb I can confirm that is is clearer. The image just looks tighter is the best way to describe it. More pixels and less gaps or the need to fill those gaps with SS.

If I could actually use the Reverb using the OpenVR tool to fix the slight cross eyed image I get from an IPD of 58 I would consider getting one. I have 3 squad mates that have the Reverb and they’re all happy with it. They still run into issues caused from updates to SteamVR, DCS and WMR but they usually get fixed quickly. Also, every tweak I’ve come across lately has had a direct effect for the better on the Reverb. I’m assuming because they were all Windows based tweaks and directly effect WMR. Nothing I’ve tried lately has made an improvement to the Index though. Lol that more than anything makes me want to try it.

That said, my only complaint with the Index is frame rates but even they have gotten much better. Flying single player on the Round Table Mission Caucasus, my Video memory is around 15Gb but for the most most part I’m at 45 FPS even on the ground. Image quality in the Viper has gotten very good even though I don’t use MSAA. The one thing I’d notice going to the Reverb is the reduction in FOV. Regardless how clear it is, it looks like a periscope compared to the Index.

After doing some setups with the reverb, I have tried again the index in order to compare them... and decide if I sell the index or not. The results has been that I cannot go back with the index, the image is quite blurry compared to the reverb... if you can, try it again...

One of the good things of the index is the FOV, you lost some degrees in the reverb, at least I can appreciate it. It is pity, the index is an excellent HMD...

Ordered a new Reverb today as I had to see what all the fuss is about. My plan is to test it directly to the Index and sell (or return in the Reverb's case) whichever one I feel doesn't work for me. One thing is for sure, if the Reverb wins, I'll miss the Index for the polished headset it is. Super comfortable, adjustable IPD (60mm for me), great audio and a nice FOV.

After doing some setups with the reverb, I have tried again the index in order to compare them... and decide if I sell the index or not. The results has been that I cannot go back with the index, the image is quite blurry compared to the reverb... if you can, try it again...

One of the good things of the index is the FOV, you lost some degrees in the reverb, at least I can appreciate it. It is pity, the index is an excellent HMD...

It seems we're all trending that way now. Correct me if I'm wrong, you have an IPD of 58? If so I'll buy a Reverb tonight. It would be different if I played other games with the Index but the only game/sim I play is DCS.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]