Valve Index Hands On

aileron

Hey, guys - base station 2 firmware update today - stops the whining noise! Awesome one. :)

@RedX - welcome to the club. Valve have said the vertical lines are "expected bahaviour" so they are not trying to fix it, as they say there is nothing wrong to fix.

As for whether support would do a replacement, well they might - especially if you tell them it's particularly disrupting your gameplay, it's worth trying.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They changed the base station behavior in the latest SteamVR. Instead of turning off and on it continues to spin, unless you put the PC to sleep or shut it off.

I’ve been trying to reproduce the vertical line issues (haven’t seen it with mine). What would be the most likely scenarios that this would come up?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

It's very obvious right in the SteamVR home - look on the wall, where your library is displayed. The light grey blocks would show it. Not everyone has it, though, apparently - some say every headset has it, but not veeryone can actually see it - but it's all conjecture, as no-one really knows.

There's a picture here:

Some geezer has turned up on Reddit, claiming to have found a software solution, but I think he's just baiting.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

It's very obvious right in the SteamVR home - look on the wall, where your library is displayed. The light grey blocks would show it. Not everyone has it, though, apparently - some say every headset has it, but not veeryone can actually see it - but it's all conjecture, as no-one really knows.

There's a picture here:

Some geezer has turned up on Reddit, claiming to have found a software solution, but I think he's just baiting.

I don't have the vertical line issue with my headset, now that I know what to look for. Wonder if it is some sort of signal interference.

That picture is misleading though, as it showed zero SDE. In the real world use there is a bit of SDE that you can see with the Index, although it is minimized when you get real close to the object of focus.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I heard a rumor that the lines may disappear after some hours of use. We'll see. It might have something to do with fine-tuning of the analog section of electronics, hard to say. If it persists I will contact support and see what they say.

Intel Core i7 9700K@4.6GHz|ASUS Strix Z390-H|G.Skill DDR4 32GB@3200MHz|MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti|2xSSD 500GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 RAID0|SSD Samsung 850 EVO|Corsair HX 750W|Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout|UWQHD 34"|Valve Index|Logitech G9|MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000|VPC WarBRD Base+MongoosT-50CM2 Grip|VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle|VKB T-Rudder|Beyerdynamic DT770|Boom mic|Windows 10 Home

@Supmua

I was thinking about the same, signal interference. Maybe some people have more EMI radiation sources nearby, which have a slight impact on the current that is needed to drive the RGB subpixels for certain colors. A very small deviation is enough to cause a slight delay on the signal, which leads to the effect they see in the HMD. Maybe better shielding or ferrite cores for the cable could help? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_core

The downside is, you can't just take any ferrite core, you have to know exactly the frequencies needed for the panels.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

I heard a rumor that the lines may disappear after some hours of use. We'll see. It might have something to do with fine-tuning of the analog section of electronics, hard to say. If it persists I will contact support and see what they say.

Valve reckon it should go away as the headset warms up - this is the standard answer they are sending out. It doesn't though - not a single person of those who have said they have this issue have had it resolved.

@Supmua

I was thinking about the same, signal interference. Maybe some people have more EMI radiation sources nearby, which have a slight impact on the current that is needed to drive the RGB subpixels for certain colors. A very small deviation is enough to cause a slight delay on the signal, which leads to the effect they see in the HMD. Maybe better shielding or ferrite cores for the cable could help? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_core

The downside is, you can't just take any ferrite core, you have to know exactly the frequencies needed for the panels.

I did extensive investigations and testing in this regard - and came up with nothing. It made zero difference to the issue. Not just with my gaming gear - I also set up a completely different PC in a different location specifically to check for EMI effects and ran a number of tests and there was no change.

There are credible sounding theories about the cause - but they are hardware based and I honestly don't know enough about LCD technology to be able to comment on them.

PS - not that it matters for me, now. I have decided not to refund the headset (to buy another one later) which I was considering. Even with this issue, the headset is such a game changer for me that I will just hope for the best and in the meantime try to look past it. Literally.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Some claimed this happened across all LCD headsets such as Pimax, Rift S, Reverb to a lesser degree.

I also wonder if this problem is unique to individual’s visual perception. If you have this issue see if your friends or family can spot the artifacts using the exact same headset.

At last, my Index arrived after about 3 months of pre-order!

Compared to my Vive Pro and my experience of the Reverb, I am very impressed.

Initial feelings:

Good -

1) best audio of any headset I have tried by a mile

2) high quality feel to all the components, unlike the Reverb

3) very comfortable

4) same excellent hardware IPD as on the Vive Pro

5) like the adjustment for lens proximity to increase FOV. Even with glasses on, I was almost at the max.

6) hugely reduced SDE cf VP

7) very smooth feel to the 120Hz

8) greatly increased sweet spot cf VP and Reverb

9) excellent image quality and dynamic range. Not quite as good as the OLED of the VP, but way better than the Reverb.

Not so good:

1) no big increase in cockpit res but seemed so much better on the terrain side due to reduced SDE etc.

2) no obvious way to adjust audio volume. VP has a nice on ear-volume control

3) God rays. Probably worse than the VP and Reverb, but in practice, no big deal

4) I do see the vertical lines that have been talked about here, but, again, in practice, it's not that big a deal. I may change my opinion on that, we'll see.

So, all good pretty much so far. I'll see if my impressions change over the next day or two, but at the moment, it looks like a keeper!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I should have added another pro over the Reverb, NO WMR!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Absolutely - people have been saying they've done this and others have been unable to see anything.

Which kind of puts the dampener on hopes for a 'fix'.

I’m going to have my kids test my Index screens and see if they can see the artifacts. Just had my annual visual exams 2 days ago and everything was ok.

OK got my Index to-day can any one tell me the best settings I am only getting 40FPS and its a bit jerky my Rift was smooth I have an i9-9900 and 2080TI and also have 32 GB memory. Also at 120 refresh the green cross used to hover of things to click does not work but does get better FPS???

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

OK got my Index to-day can any one tell me the best settings I am only getting 40FPS and its a bit jerky my Rift was smooth I have an i9-9900 and 2080TI and also have 32 GB memory. Also at 120 refresh the green cross used to hover of things to click does not work but does get better FPS???

I presume the fact that you are getting 40fps means you're running at 120Hz.

Personally, I run it at 90Hz and get a solid 45fps with Motion Smoothing on which is fine.

Regarding SS, I have it at 204% in Steam, and a PD of 1.0 in game. In my experience, it is only SS/PD and MSAA that make any difference to fps.

Best just to mess around with settings and see what suits you. One thing, if you don't use fpsVR, then I highly recommend you install it. Invaluable for testing frame times, etc.

The guy who reckons he has a solution to the vertical lines issue finally posted more details today. I was skeptical - and still am, in all honesty (I'm "TheOldGit" on Reddit):

Sure, I'll go ahead and go in depth into how this issue occurs, and how to attempt to diagnose the issue.

1. If you experience this issue in one or both eyes, viewing the lens from upside down should repair the issue. If it does, immediately the hardware issue becomes a software issue.
  2. On this step, once we've determined it's a software issue we need to find the key input that either the left, or right lens, or both, is connected to. So we need to open our SteamVR system report, and get the connection ID for both of them.
  3. Once the connection ID has been collected, you need to open developer tools for the SteamVR and OVR toolkits, and create a custom device setup for the Valve Index using the exact same properties (from the firmware you should have collected), except for a -180 offset applied to the offending eyes. Do not use a positive offset as the optical expansion process gets negated when positive like that. Additionally, you may want to adjust the pixel bias +/- 1 to the left/right to offset any flaring created by any mishaps in the manufacturing process.

If you have any issues creating a custom device, ie, SteamVR does not recognize the new firmware and you were unable to flash it, please go into Big Picture and reset the device and attempt to retry. Please remember any damage to your hardware would be your fault, and flashing your own custom firmware may void your warranty, and I am not held responsible for your actions.

In response to /u/LamerDelux, I never claimed to be working for Valve, nor did I say this was an issue with the graphics card. I'm here to help from personal experience.

I also don't recommend this as a permanent fix for anyone. As I said before, send your System report to Valve. /u/TheOldGit is correct, as this is not as easy as flashing new firmware because your headset would get specific firmware updates to it. There's no "identifier" between a good Index vs an affected Index, and so they just prefer an RMA and fixing the issue in-house.

Judge for yourself.

btw - LamerDelux has already tried viewing it upside down and the lines were still present.

Kneeboard Guides

I'd like some help too because I have the same specs and the same terrible performance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

SteamVR is a different beast compared to Oculus platform, soft of like PC vs Mac system--one requires a bit of tinkering and one does not. You kind of need to understand how it works and because it supports wide range of hardware, the default settings unlike Oculus, will not give you optimal performance.

Here are some steps that I recommend to get the most out of your Index.

INITIAL SETTINGS:

1. Disable all extra extensions or background apps that you don't need.

2. Run SteamVR and go to Video tab.

3. Set refresh rate as needed depending on how strong your PC is, we will aim for half of that in terms of fps with DCS. If you have 9900K/2080Ti 120Hz/60 fps will be your target (you will likely see 40 fps on the ground or busy area which is OK--the targeted fps will be a factor of 2 or 3 lower than the screen refresh). For PC with lower power aim for either 80/40/27 or 90/45/30.

3. I recommend leaving motion smoothing on because it works well enough and prevent screen tearing/juddering.

4. Scroll down to Application Resolution and Enable custom resolution set it at 100% (2016x2240--This is 1.4x of the Index screen resolution, needed to correct for geometric distortion and wrapping).

5. Run DCS and turn on FPS counter (RCTRL-PAUSE in my case).

6. Go to settings/System, choose VR Preset for now.

7. Go to VR tab and set PD to 1.0. Your can force IPD setting to an arbitrary number which dictates how large the cockpit is (I use 55 for the Hornet).

So this will be the most basic VR set up for now. Go into an instant mission (I use Hornet Free flight in Caucasus) and fly around and observe your FPS, of course we're not gonna stop here since this is far from optimal but it will give you an indication of what the Index is capable of at the default resolution and VR settings.

SECONDARY SETTINGS:

I like Texture:high, Terrain:high, Water:high, since these affect overall image fidelity but can reduce FPS depending on your CPU/GPU. Set shadows to Flat only if you want extra performance. I also like Gamma at 1.8. If you want to minimize shimmering then turn on MSSA 2x but note that this will affect FPS quite and bit and you need to quit out of DCS and run it again to see the change in FPS (typically fools people into thinking that it doesn't affect performance).

SUPERSAMPLING:

Since the VR resolution is still crappy when your eyes are right next to the screens, we rely on supersampling to increase image sharpness and decrease artifacts. MSSA 2x is sort of supersampling but it works mostly on the edge of the image and increases blurriness so I didn't include it here. This step is my last one to do since it will vary depending on your CPU and GPU's power. There are 2 ways to do this. Either via DCS PD setting or SteamVR's Custom Resolution, do not use both. Everytime you adjust supersampling you must quit out of DCS and restart the game to see the correct effect and FPS. I would start by increasing the number a bit, quit DCS and run it and check FPS. Basically increase it until you start dropping below the desired FPS in the game.

DCS PD setting:

You can adjust this in VR tab. PD 1.5 means 1.5x of resolution in both vertical and horizontal. The default Index resolution that we just set in SteamVR is 2016x2240, so the final rendering resolution will be 3024x3360 pixels with PD 1.5.

SteamVR Custom resolution:

You need to have DCS running in the background to do this. ALT-TAB to SteamVR Settings (may have to hit ALT-CTRL-DEL/task manager/ALT-TAB if DCS won't let you). Go to Applications tab, make sure DCS.exe is selected and adjust your resolution of choice. The percentage here is the overall pixels which is different from PD setting in DCS. For example, for the Index, SteamVR CS of 225% is equivalent to DCS PD 1.5--which is rather high for most people. --For folks that run PD 1.8 or 2.0, I can only shake my head and smile--more power to you.

I hope this clears things up for most people. Optimizing your setup for VR isn't that hard but can be a tedius process, and don't expect miracles as VR's FPS will never be as good as non-VR--this applies to image fidelity as well, at least for now.

Edited by Supmua

SteamVR is a different beast compared to Oculus platform, soft of like PC vs Mac system--one requires a bit of tinkering and one does not. You kind of need to understand how it works and because it supports wide range of hardware, the default settings unlike Oculus, will not give you optimal performance.

Here are some steps that I recommend to get the most out of your Index.

INITIAL SETTINGS:

1. Disable all extra extensions or background apps that you don't need.

2. Run SteamVR and go to Video tab.

3. Set refresh rate as needed depending on how strong your PC is, we will aim for half of that in terms of fps with DCS. If you have 9900K/2080Ti 120Hz/60 fps will be your target (you will likely see 40 fps on the ground or busy area which is OK--the targeted fps will be a factor of 2 or 3 lower than the screen refresh). For PC with lower power aim for either 80/40/27 or 90/45/30.

3. I recommend leaving motion smoothing on because it works well enough and prevent screen tearing/juddering.

4. Scroll down to Application Resolution and Enable custom resolution set it at 100% (2016x2240--This is 1.4x of the Index screen resolution, needed to correct for geometric distortion and wrapping).

5. Run DCS and turn on FPS counter (RCTRL-PAUSE in my case).

6. Go to settings/System, choose VR Preset for now.

7. Go to VR tab and set PD to 1.0. Your can force IPD setting to an arbitrary number which dictates how large the cockpit is (I use 55 for the Hornet).

So this will be the most basic VR set up for now. Go into an instant mission (I use Hornet Free flight in Caucasus) and fly around and observe your FPS, of course we're not gonna stop here since this is far from optimal but it will give you an indication of what the Index is capable of at the default resolution and VR settings.

SECONDARY SETTINGS:

I like Texture:high, Terrain:high, Water:high, since these affect overall image fidelity but can reduce FPS depending on your CPU/GPU. Set shadows to Flat only if you want extra performance. I also like Gamma at 1.8. If you want to minimize shimmering then turn on MSSA 2x but note that this will affect FPS quite and bit and you need to quit out of DCS and run it again to see the change in FPS (typically fools people into thinking that it doesn't affect performance).

SUPERSAMPLING:

Since the VR resolution is still crappy when your eyes are right next to the screens, we rely on supersampling to increase image sharpness and decrease artifacts. MSSA 2x is sort of supersampling but it works mostly on the edge of the image and increases blurriness so I didn't include it here. This step is my last one to do since it will vary depending on your CPU and GPU's power. There are 2 ways to do this. Either via DCS PD setting or SteamVR's Custom Resolution, do not use both. Everytime you adjust supersampling you must quit out of DCS and restart the game to see the correct effect and FPS. I would start by increasing the number a bit, quit DCS and run it and check FPS. Basically increase it until you start dropping below the desired FPS in the game.

DCS PD setting:

You can adjust this in VR tab. PD 1.5 means 1.5x of resolution in both vertical and horizontal. The default Index resolution that we just set in SteamVR is 2016x2240, so the final rendering resolution will be 3024x3360 pixels with PD 1.5.

SteamVR Custom resolution:

You need to have DCS running in the background to do this. ALT-TAB to SteamVR Settings (may have to hit ALT-CTRL-DEL/task manager/ALT-TAB if DCS won't let you). Go to Applications tab, make sure DCS.exe is selected and adjust your resolution of choice. The percentage here is the overall pixels which is different from PD setting in DCS. For example, for the Index, SteamVR CS of 225% is equivalent to DCS PD 1.5--which is rather high for most people. --For folks that run PD 1.8 or 2.0, I can only shake my head and smile--more power to you.

I hope this clears things up for most people. Optimizing your setup for VR isn't that hard but can be a tedius process, and don't expect miracles as VR's FPS will never be as good as non-VR--this applies to image fidelity as well, at least for now.

All good advice. The only 2 things I would say, is always use fpsVR to monitor fps and frametimes. Two reasons, firstly, it gives you lots of useful info, and secondly, as it follows your head, it avoids the issue in DCS of the ctrl-puase fps always being in the top left corner and having to look up there usually means looking at the sky and you don't get a realistic value at all times. fpsVR is one of the most useful tools in VR. It is very useful seeing frame times, as I get a pretty consistent 15-18ms, which although shows as 45fps is actually equivalent to 55-65.

The other comment I would make is that I found I have a solid 45fps @90Hz, but going to 120Hz saw pretty much 40fps all the time which didn't look as good. Too much reprojection.

I bought it when I got the Index but haven't used it so far.

Is it possible to use it when SteamVR is active, but Steam itself is not?

Are you talking about fpsVR? If so, then Steam is always active when you are running SteamVR. You may not see the UI but it’s always open. It has to be to access your account etc.

Are you talking about fpsVR? If so, then Steam is always active when you are running SteamVR. You may not see the UI but it’s always open. It has to be to access your account etc.

Not quite - I used to think so, too, but recently have found two instances where it wasn't (and I stopped using OpenComposite, so that's not why).

These instances are when I am running two simulators which use SteamVR, but are not installed on Steam. You could say the Steam service is running, I suppose, but I'm not logged in and can't access anything in Steam whilst they are running.

It was for this that I was considering using fpsVR and that's why I was asking if Steam needed to be open.

I'm already not happy about how much opens and runs when I'm in VR - SteamVR (necessary, of course) Steam, and now Oculus seems to open every time - even when I'm running something installed on Steam - and if I switch Home off, the game/app closes, too. It's ridiculous. This happens every time I run DCS World - taking away vital resources. No wonder it's so difficult to get decent performance. I don't have DCS World in Steam.

Wondering if Revive is responsible for that.

Kneeboard Guides