Valve Index Hands On

aileron

I just fired up DCS with the new beta 1.7.11 and went into free flight F-18 which is where I do all my testing. Once I start flying I'm at 45FPS but part of my test is flying low over a lot of trees and I'll drop down to 30FPS while I'm over a large area. This is normal behavior for it but usually once I look up or get away from them it jumps back to 45. Today once it hits 30 it stays there. Even when I exit the mission and go back to the UI it's still stuck at 30. I made no changes to my settings from last night where I was getting solid 45 in PG MP. Oh well, back to stable.

Yep, I’m seeing the exact same thing. This beta is clearly not good! Back to non beta for me until this is resolved.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I’m seeing the exact same thing. This beta is clearly not good! Back to non beta for me until this is resolved.

When I switched back to stable I retried your settings of 250% without MSAA. However instead of just using Custom Resolution in Video Tab I set DCS Application to 120% and Custom Resolution to 230%. The shimmering is way down now and the towns and trees look a bit sharper plus I was holding mostly at 45 FPS. I'm not sure how the Application DCS.exe does it's bit of SS but it can't be using DCS PD. If I were to bump up the PD in game to 1.2PD it would probably be a slide show.

I'm going to fly online tonight again with these settings and see how it goes. MSAA definitely puts a heavy load on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

When I switched back to stable I retried your settings of 250% without MSAA. However instead of just using Custom Resolution in Video Tab I set DCS Application to 120% and Custom Resolution to 230%. The shimmering is way down now and the towns and trees look a bit sharper plus I was holding mostly at 45 FPS. I'm not sure how the Application DCS.exe does it's bit of SS but it can't be using DCS PD. If I were to bump up the PD in game to 1.2PD it would probably be a slide show.

I'm going to fly online tonight again with these settings and see how it goes. MSAA definitely puts a heavy load on.

Yep,MSAA is a killer. However, I’m not sure I can live with the shimmering without it, so I am back on 204% plus MSAA x2.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@Wicked.-

Keep in mind that SteamVR SS settings act as multipliers, you end up with 276% with your settings (2.3 x 1.2). Better use 148% (settings under Video, 2452x2724) and 138% in Application to achieve perfect 2880x3200 per eye.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

@Wicked.-

Keep in mind that SteamVR SS settings act as multipliers, you end up with 276% with your settings (2.3 x 1.2). Better use 148% (settings under Video, 2452x2724) and 138% in Application to achieve perfect 2880x3200 per eye.

Thanks for the tip. I've since gone back to 100% on all but Custom screen resolution which is back at 204% and MSAA on 2X. I'll try your settings tomorrow.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Got it! And another firmware update.

The 30fps issue mentioned above is fxed, as is fpsVR! So, all good.

Edited by imacken

I simply am amazed you guys can run at 200% plus. I’m using a 90hz refresh rate with 114% on a 6700k oc’d to 4.4 with a 1080ti to get smooth frames in MP sessions. That’s with in game PD at 1.0 and MSAA at 2.

Are you using motion smoothing? Which DCS settings?

No motion smoothing as I don’t like seeing three missiles on my wing tips when I rock the F18 wings back and forth. No shadows enabled no heat blur draw distances on high.

That shouldn't be happening. MS gives the best experience in SteamVR as long as your frames are not dropping too low.

Valve Index Hands On

I simply am amazed you guys can run at 200% plus. I’m using a 90hz refresh rate with 114% on a 6700k oc’d to 4.4 with a 1080ti to get smooth frames in MP sessions. That’s with in game PD at 1.0 and MSAA at 2.

For me I have to turn off MSAA to get decent FPS in Dubai. I’ve been running in 80Hz mode now since I can keep steady 40+ FPS there with some headroom to spare. The current DCS OB also has issues with frame drop that ED is looking into, tends to tank when there are several AI planes around and I’d imagine this is worse in MP sessions.

Frankly you don’t really need SS 200%, that is right at the point of diminishing return. MSAA is also a very heavy hitter in terms of FPS, turn it off then restart DCS and watch your FPS rise.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

That shouldn't be happening. MS gives the best experience in SteamVR as long as your frames are not dropping too low.

I need to set all DCS graphic settings at lowest value and SS to 100% in order to get overall good performance with MS on. That is, not seeing the effects mentioned by Kinger.

@Wicked.-

I'm using these settings now and liking them.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick question. With my CV1, clouds had zero effect on frame rates. It's like they didn't exist. With the Index it drops me from 45 to 30FPS when I get close or go through them. Is this the same for everyone else?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quick question. With my CV1, clouds had zero effect on frame rates. It's like they didn't exist. With the Index it drops me from 45 to 30FPS when I get close or go through them. Is this the same for everyone else?

Yes, clouds are horrible in DCS VR. I see the same, but I also saw it on my Vive Pro and Reverb.

Do you see any kind of improvement?

When I tried these values in the past, i couldn't see any difference. I like having the one setting under Video, as that is then set for all apps that I use in StreamVR, rather than adjusting values for overall and app specific. I have found that the one I use for DCS works perfectly OK in other games as well, and if it doesn't, I just adjust in-game SS.

But, both methods will work well, and just down to personal preference.

Splitting SS values in SteamVR gives a good amount of flexibility for other VR games. Not every game needs to run at extremely high SS settings. In the end it's always best to avoid values that produce aliasing artifacts, e.g. when a panel has to display just a fraction of a rendered pixel because the renderer produced 3 pixels and the panel has only space for 2 pixels to display them. This leads to the well known flickering between the 2 panel pixels. However, rendering 2880x3200 on a 1440x1600 panel is damn costly, no matter how it was achieved.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

Splitting SS values in SteamVR gives a good amount of flexibility for other VR games. Not every game needs to run at extremely high SS settings. In the end it's always best to avoid values that produce aliasing artifacts, e.g. when a panel has to display just a fraction of a rendered pixel because the renderer produced 3 pixels and the panel has only space for 2 pixels to display them. This leads to the well known flickering between the 2 panel pixels. However, rendering 2880x3200 on a 1440x1600 panel is damn costly, no matter how it was achieved.

Alec, that's all true, but if one's kit can handle it, it makes no difference whether it's costly or not. That's why we spend a lot on hardware to get the best image quality we can. Pusing DCS VR to your system limit is part of that.

Yep, no doubt on that. But i wish we wouldn't be driving our Ferraris with only one wheel on the road for DCS. Please ED, my other CPU cores need a job in DCS. :)

I flew with these settings last night for about 4 hours on a private PG server and I did like them. But about 3 hours in, I started dropping to 30 FPS where I had been at 45. There was no reason for the drop in frame rates. I was within 5 miles of a frigate and a destroyer, flying at 6000' with no clouds around and seemingly for no reason my frames would drop to 30. I chalked it up to a long session but honestly I've flown much longer without issue. It was almost like it needed a cache flush. After a complete reboot, all was back to normal.

Up until my frames began to drop to 30, setting custom screen res to 148% and application res to 138 seemed smoother and slightly clearer. It made enough of an impression that I still haven't changed back but the difference is hard to pin down and describe and very close to a placebo effect. YMMV

Something else I noticed but may be the new beta driver and motion smoothing is the canopy hoop in the 18 "flittering" is how I would describe it. It happens more now than before.

Edited by Wicked.-

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Wicked.-

I disabled track recording: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208832

In longer sessions this might fill RAM/pagefile too much. Another problem might be a memory leak VRAM or RAM, i had this in a multiplayer session a couple of betas ago, VRAM was filled by 100% and my framerate started to drop.

@Wicked.-

I disabled track recording: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208832

In longer sessions this might fill RAM/pagefile too much. Another problem might be a memory leak VRAM or RAM, i had this in a multiplayer session a couple of betas ago, VRAM was filled by 100% and my framerate started to drop.

We were flying the TTI PG map and I did check the vram after I experienced the frame drops. It showed around 9GB usage which is very much in line with what I normally see but I'll disable track recording and see if that helps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]