Community A-4E-C

23 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Yes, that's for the version 1.4 of the Mod ... current version is 2.0 beta.  This is the current manual:

A-4E-C Manual 2.0.pdf 4.45 MB · 58 downloads

Hi @Rudel_chw I just realised I have your normal procedures summary PDF of the NATOPs procedures but no idea where or how I got it, and I seemingly have never used it yet 🙂

Is that still valid for the full release of v2? I know it's based on NATOPs but has alot of references to the sim aircraft with screenshots etc.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

1 hour ago, TAIPAN_ said:

Is that still valid for the full release of v2?

No, sorry, that document was written for v1.4 of the Mod. Version 2.0 has several differences, for example it has no nosewheel steering, it has a new bombing computer, etc. I have not had time to update it, unfortunately.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On 12/19/2021 at 10:39 AM, Rudel_chw said:

No, sorry, that document was written for v1.4 of the Mod. Version 2.0 has several differences, for example it has no nosewheel steering, it has a new bombing computer, etc. I have not had time to update it, unfortunately.

No worries thanks. The kneeboards are very good in this release I should be fine and had pretty much mastered the old version already.

Pimax Crystal VR & Simpit User | Ryzen CPU & Nvidia RTX GPU | Some of my mods

Thank you so much for making this A-4 Mod it is Incredible! the first time I flew it I could not get over the level of detail & the sounds for the flaps and speed brakes. They are Awesome, I felt like I was flying the real thing!! Great job!! I Absolutely Love this A-4 Mod!!!!

A-4E#43.png

A-4E#59.png

• Like 4

On 11/29/2021 at 9:15 AM, Nozzle said:

Apologies if this is a repeat comment but it seems to me the pilot size in the A-4 module is too small for the aircraft.  Here is the DCS pilot compared with an actual group of pilots for comparison:

A4E_VA72C_2.jpg

1920px-Douglas_A-4F_Skyhawks_aboard_USS_Hancock_(CVA-19)_on_25_May_1972_(6430106).jpg

I've noticed this, too.  I agree, the pilot figure is too small--sub-scale.  Thanks for illustrating it.  I have sat in the cockpit of a real A-4F.  It is small and cramped.  I'm 6'-0" tall.  It gives the impression of some kind of little midget race car.  The windscreen is small.  In DCS, in VR, this A-4E-C cockpit seems too large, too roomy.  The canopy bow is slightly too high, I think.  And I have adjusted the VR- interpupillary distance so that most everything else appears normal.  If you look at NP-505, in the foreground of this picture, you'll see the pilot's helmet is very close to the canopy glass. 

Also, the forward fuselage seems slightly too wide.  The solution to this...would probably be a ton of rework.  Too bad it didn't get set exactly accurate from the beginning.  It's a relatively minor thing, considering the rest of the aspects of this mod are so cool!!  I'm guessing some dimensions between A-4E and A-4M cockpits got intermixed, early on, or the cockpit was based on the A-4M's.  The A-4A thru A-4L have the same cockpit dimensions.  I believe the A-4M/N/KU cockpit was enlarged slightly and fitted with a different canopy.  The A-4P & Q & S were reworked A-4B&C aircraft.  The TA-4F & J had a substantially different cockpit.

On 5/26/2021 at 3:21 PM, JNelson said:

It's either they don't have the MSVC redistributables or the dll is being deleted by their antivirus. 

Download the x64 redist here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

I had this problem, too.  I did the installation right, according to instructions.  All indications were that this was a "PLAYER" aircraft in Mission Editor, and yet it was not playable (no cockpit showing up upon launching the mission.  AI controlling the aircraft).  Installing the MSVC redistributable from the link above definitely fixed it.  Unless I missed it somewhere, there should probably be some note in the instructions to ensure we have the latest or correct version of MSVC (Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015, 17, 19 & 22).  Maybe you should start a new topic (restricted or locked to just you developers) for version 2.0.  Because I got stuck on instructions for version 1.4.  We can continue discussions here on this topic.

This wasn't needed in version 1.4.2, right?  The 1.4.2 mod-ule was working fine.  I guess there is new coding in A-4E-C Version 2.0+ that now requires this, right?  Which is probably what makes some wonderful new features possible.  ...now to re-map my joysticks.  🙂

This is referring back to the problem described on Page 47.

On 12/21/2021 at 11:52 PM, Phantom11 said:

Gentlemen! What about the slave radio? Now it doesn't work as far as I know.

What do you mean by "slave radio"?  Are you talking about the TACAN?  Or the BDHI indicator (bearing and heading indicator)?  Those seem to work for me.

On 12/27/2021 at 6:06 AM, Calabrone said:

Radio slave I don't know what it is. The problem is that with A4 when you approach the airport you can't communicate with the control tower. As for the Tacan or the BDHI indicator they work fine!

I don't know why you called it radio slave.  However, I believe you are correct.  I set up a mission with 4 different aircraft carriers to test out ops on all of them with the A-4.  Stennis, Forrestal, Clemenceau and Melbourne.  I just tried to contact the "tower" or carrier, any of them.  I get no response.  That's what you're saying, right?  No response from ATC when called.  But I can contact the tankers.  I haven't tried to talk to wingmen yet.  So we can't get LSO grades of out carrier landings because we can't contact the carrier.

Sadly, the Buddy Refueling store has been taken away.  Even if it didn't work, I liked to carry it.  It was cool.  I was hoping one day it might be made to work.  At least on an A-4E-C Tanker (AI).  The typical loading for an A-4 Tanker would be no pylons on stations 1 & 5, 300 gal fuel tanks on stations 2 & 4, and the buddy refuel store (which is also an external fuel tank) on station 3.  Theoretically, it would be a tanker to go up to when you're low on fuel and need another 700-1,500 lbs to make carrier landing approaches.  In my practice, inflight refueling is so difficult, that it probably won't help me. 🙂

Why did you guys take away nose wheel steering on the A-4E-C?  Did not most A-4E's and all A-4F's have it?  Except maybe the stripped-down aggressor A-4Fs.  Because they didn't need it operating only from Naval Air Stations like Miramar and Fallon.  But it is very useful maneuvering on small carrier decks like the Clemenceau and Essex.  Videos of real A-4C's and E's on carriers show an aircraft handler with a "tow bar" steering the nosewheel to get the jet lined up on the catapult.  Nosewheel steering emulated that.

The real problem is lack of grip of the main gear tires on the carrier deck or a skidding tire goes to zero drag to where you can't get enough drag on one tire to turn the aircraft.  Is that tire friction force dependent on the carrier in DCS?  I was trying and trying to get lined up on the cat on Clemenceau.  Finally, in flighting the brakes, I could not get the aircraft to turn for nothing and I went off the deck, canopy-first into the water!!

Differential braking would be okay if it performed reliably.  But even a skidding tire has drag...it should have drag, unless the flightdeck is covered with a layer of ice.

Couldn't you make it a keybound option?  "Nosewheel Steering toggle on else off"...and I'll put it on a joystick button.  When off, steering could be by differential braking.

You are right! On aircraft carriers it is dramatic to line up with the catapult. In fact they were towed into position because they didn't have the steering wheel they used the brakes on the wheels and the tail rudder to steer. This on the carrier means that most of the time you end up in the water or you get a nervous breakdown wandering around on deck.
On land the problem is almost nil. I use a rudder pedal and the RZ key on the TWCS. I advise you to use the brakes gently and keep the engine at 70% max 75% and then it takes practice but you willsee that eventually you will make it, on land! 

On 12/27/2021 at 3:06 PM, Calabrone said:
Radio slave I don't know what it is. The problem is that with A4 when you approach the airport you can't communicate with the control tower. As for the Tacan or the BDHI indicator they work fine!

I use the VAICOM plugin for VoiceAttack, so I can speak to ATC. It works fine on the ground, but in the air I have to spam the PTT button, and then eventually the comms will go through. I believe the solution is to have Easy Comms enabled.
Could you try that?

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Edited by MAXsenna

New update!!

Awesome!!

Edited by =Skywarp=
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 8

RYZEN 7 2700 3.2 GHz / GAINWARD RTX 2070 / 32 GB RAM 3200 MHz / ASUS PRIME B450M / M.2 NVMe KINGSTON 1TB / SSD SANDISK 480GB / HD 2TB SATA3 / CORSAIR CX650 / AOC AGON AG322FCX MONITOR / THRUSTMASTER T.16000M FCS / CUSTOM HEADTRACK

F-14 Tomcat Side View.png

Love you folks and all the hard work you have put into this amazing mod!
Best wishes to all of you and a genuine thank you!

• Like 1
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Congrads and thanks!

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

That's one of the best mod cockpits I've ever seen.

Thanks for the cool plane! :drinks_drunk:

Edit: I take it back, it's not one of the best mod cockpits I've ever seen. I think it is the best!

Edited by Beirut
  • Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

So, Mk.77 works this time around? Anyway, will find out soon enough.

Edited by VFGiPJP

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

3 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

So, Mk.77 works this time around? Anyway, will find out soon enough.

I haven't seen any napalm effect yet. Just standard blasts.

A shame, because the napalm would work wonders on those Marianas golf courses.  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Well I only see columns if dirt, not fireballs as in the video. That would be some Hollywood cameo.