Community A-4E-C

Hello to all. I am trying to figure out how to find a squadron or a group to fly with that uses this great aircraft. The more i fly the A-4, the more i love it..

If anyone has info, ideas or suggestions, please drop me a line or point me in the correct direction.

Many thanks.

Cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if any particular squadron that focuses on the A4, but hoggit runs a beta "Georgia at Cold War" server that features only second gen fighters. The A4 and free MB339 mods are both required to join the server. I've had good luck finding a wingman in the A4 in the hobbit discord and then flying on GaCW.

With the Walleye out for the Bug, will it be incorporated into this mod so it can be used properly, and not just a big dumb bomb?

This specific variant of the A-4E that has been modelled does not have ability to carry the walleye.

For the FFB2 users, I know that there is an issue where the aileron trim doesn't wrong when using the MS FFB2. Turns out the sim's Lua function responsible for roll trim doesn't respond when the sim detects an FFB2.

However, I've figured out another way to send trim information to the sim which in my testing shows it does work with the FFB2 and other sticks. Please check the information and file provided on the issue tracker and let me know if it solves the aileron trim problem for you as well. I'll need to rewrite the trim implementation in the A-4E with this new solution before I can commit it into the main code. If all goes well, this fix will go into the next update.

Unfortunately, I have no clue if I will be able to solve the issue where the AFCS doesn't work with the FFB2. It probably requires a huge rewrite of how the AFCS works and I'm not sure if I have the time for that right now. But I'll leave the issue on the tracker for future work. And I'm not sure how many FFB2/A-4E users are there. Do let me know if you're an FFB2 user.

First, let me say a great big THANK YOU for this mod :thumbup:

I am totally noob in DCS, so go easy on me. I use MSFF2 stick and am unable to operate the trim using the POV hat. Also, AFCS doesn’t seem to do anything. I searched this thread and found this quoted post. Is this still an open problem, or is it just me being an idiot and am failing to operate them correctly?

“Mosquitoes fly, but flies don’t Mosquito” :pilotfly:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

... well, he could have said it!

So it can carry it and drop it but not guided?

This specific model does not have the avionics suite to employ the walleye. So I don’t think it should be able to carry it too. Doing so would probably confuse a lot of people too.

The walleye capable Skyhawks had a tv monitor instead of a radar scope (which is the one we modelled).

Also the lack of SDK wouldn’t allow us to code for the walleye guidance system too. So it would never be functional with the A-4E-C module.

First, let me say a great big THANK YOU for this mod :thumbup:

I am totally noob in DCS, so go easy on me. I use MSFF2 stick and am unable to operate the trim using the POV hat. Also, AFCS doesn’t seem to do anything. I searched this thread and found this quoted post. Is this still an open problem, or is it just me being an idiot and am failing to operate them correctly?

Hi Bozon,

Thank you for your compliments. The team really appreciates it.

Unfortunately, there are several Lua functions in the DCS base code that no longer functions correctly when an FFB2 is connected. This bug wasn't noticed as the A-4E-C dev team probably wasn't testing with an FFB2. I do have an FFB2 and I've already patched the aileron trim function in our latest dev branch. However, fixing the AFCS to work with the FFB2 will require a more significant rewrite of the AFCS code and I'm not sure when will I have the time to tackle that. The aileron trim fix will be included in the next patch if it clears the tester group. You can take a look at the issue tracker for more information.

https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/issues/137

@heclak,

Thank you for the info. This stick must be 12 or 14 years old and I should probably start thinking about replacing it... It served me very well and Microsoft has produced something good for a change - which is probably why they stopped making it and closed that department...

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

@heclak,

Thank you for the info. This stick must be 12 or 14 years old and I should probably start thinking about replacing it... It served me very well and Microsoft has produced something good for a change - which is probably why they stopped making it and closed that department...

Well. I only got my FFB2 about two years ago and I really like it. I would love to get the AFCS working with it but it is a rather significant rewrite of the AFCS so I'm not sure if it would happen anytime soon. Definitely not for the upcoming patch.

hello,

i have a problem with carrier takeoff , unable to acces takeoff speed . i always crash in water

There are some limitations in the carrier operations. Have a look at the manual, pages 10 and 11: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cUH7jpAoGHm-IzUDnv_NDhiZlvX55Q9WvpgR1d9ksYY/edit#slide=id.g51cb905973_34_58

Are you doing a "deck run" takeoff? That is, not using the catapult? If you are positioning at the catapult but not getting hooked up for launch, and then holding the brakes and applying full power and then releasing the brakes...no, you'll never make it. You might be able to do a free deck run from the far aft end of the flight deck with the carrier doing 30 knots, into the wind and your A-4 less then 20,000 lbs or so. Really, though, you have to connect up with the catapult. The most reliable, least frustrating way, is to set your mission to "takeoff from runway" and see that it's placed on one of the 4 catapults on the CV-74 carrier. I believe that will place you connected up with the catapult, engine running and ready to go at mission start. Also have your desired armament and fuel loaded on the plane from the mission editor so you are all set. Each flight, you get one launch and one arrested landing. You can't seem to launch again in the same mission because you can't get connected back up with a catapult again.

I have so much fun with the A-4E...this plane just HAS to become a full-fledged module, somehow. It would go great with the future F-8J, any version of the A-6 Intruder...and an F-4B or J Phantom II. It desperately needs SRS and in-flight refueling to make it complete. But, as is, I have lots of fun with it. A big thank you to those who made it happen.

Mk-81 Snake Eye bombs on MER bomb racks. Definitely not certifiable the way it performs here. I would say, Warning: Do not carry Mk81 SE bombs on the MER (6-station) multiple-bomb racks. You will blow yourself up...dead! :) Even pulling a constant 2 G's during release, one or more of the bombs will detonate a fraction of a second after release...even if set to release at 2 second intervals, or singly.

In real life, this would not (should not) happen because bombs have a safety where they do not arm until a set time has passed after being released. And, I believe they have arming safety wires connected to the fuzes that only get pulled out by the bomb's fall from the rack. And then I think that starts the timer delay (by the airstream spinning a small rotor) of arming the actual fuze.

BTW, I'm doing all this in Nevada map DCS v. 2.5.5.41962.

The larger Mk-82 SE bombs seem to release ok from TER (triple) bomb racks. We don't have the option to mount Mk-81's on TERs. The Mk-82SE's fall a bit from the rack and then open their drag plates. On the other hand, the lighter Mk-81 SE's seem to open their drag plates immediately upon release and get dragged aft, immediately and hard...too hard, I think. My guess, is that the real Mk-81/Mk-82 Snake Eye bombs would fall for about .75 to 1 second before the drag plates would deploy, to ensure the bomb was well clear of the rack. Is there any way this delay could be programmed into this A-4E-C mod? That might solve the issue. Also, the bomb fuzes would probably not arm until about 2 or 3 seconds after release, maybe even longer, for safety. Any way to program that?

Also, I should construct and run through a complete test of all release modes of these bombs and other munitions on this A-4E-C. For instance, if I set the fuze to off...not armed...with a load of Mk-81's on all stations and select all stations and select Bomb/GM Arm mode, and select STEP - SNGL...upon pressing the bomb release button, all bombs release at minimum interval (not quite instantaneously). Is that what is supposed to happen? Whereas, if I arm the bomb fuzes with either Tail or Nose & Tail, and the rest of the settings the same, I get one bomb released per press of the button. If I set RIPPLE and SNGL, the bombs will release one at a time at the interval and for the quantity set on the AWE-1 panel...and that's cool. It doesn't always seem to be consistent, though. In some cases, the bombs only released in pairs. But I have to do some thorough, methodical testing.

Edited by Andrew8604
add a note

Ground crew refuses to load Chaffs and flares. I mean, they say the will, they do load bombs/rockets as requested, but chaffs and flares counters remain at 0.

This is in instant action cold start.

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

Ground crew refuses to load Chaffs and flares. I mean, they say the will, they do load bombs/rockets as requested, but chaffs and flares counters remain at 0.

This is in instant action cold start.

Wait, are you reading the in-cockpit counter? if so remember you have to manually set the value of chaff and flares

This exactly. The counters are manually operated and have no clue of how many countermeasures are actually loaded.

Hey Heclak. Is the A4 still receiving lots of work ? Any word if the flight model or other things are still getting work ? Curious of the status of the module

You can check the latest changelog of the unreleased version here. https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.md

There's a fair amount of changes that have accumulated since the last update but we've yet to release an official patch yet. Just trying to finish the last bits of work and we'll push out an update soon.

Wait, are you reading the in-cockpit counter? if so remember you have to manually set the value of chaff and flares

This exactly. The counters are manually operated and have no clue of how many countermeasures are actually loaded.

Thanks guys you are correct. Flares and Chaffs work as intended :thumbup:

- Geoffrey de Havilland.

You can check the latest changelog of the unreleased version here. https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.md

There's a fair amount of changes that have accumulated since the last update but we've yet to release an official patch yet. Just trying to finish the last bits of work and we'll push out an update soon.

Wow! Heclak. That’s a lot of work, that will be` included in the next release. Thank you for your and the teams continued work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Community A-4E-C Development Changelog and Issue Tracker

Hi everyone, just posting this since I’ve been asked if the A-4E-C is still getting updates and what is coming in the next update.

As part of keeping our development process open, the issue tracker and development branch are public on Github.

Here are some useful links to get updates.

Dev-Branch Changelog: https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/blob/develop/CHANGELOG.md

Issue tracker: https://github.com/heclak/community-a4e-c/issues

Discord: https://discord.gg/tQZbkTQ

There's a fair amount of changes that have accumulated since the last patch but we've yet to release an official patch yet. I had some issues with my personal schedule so I wasn’t able to commit as much time to the project. We’re trying to finish the last bits of work and we'll push out an update soon. Thank you to everyone for your patience.

As per our usual development and testing process, here’s how the upcoming testing/release process goes:

• continuous testing goes on throughout the development cycle.
  • once an upcoming patch is decided upon, the feature set is frozen and a beta build is created. Any new feature goes into the dev branch for future patches. Testers will focus on just testing this beta build and bug squashing is the focus.
  • once the testers give the all-clear, we’ll package the files for a public release.

Of course, this doesn’t mean that everything is bug-free. Due to everything being volunteer work, we haven’t been able to flesh out our testing process with testing scripts for everything. And the availability of our testers may vary so the duration of our beta phase may vary too.

While our feature set is pretty much set for the next patch, there’s still time for some last-minute keybinds requests or minor fixes. So please give your feedback or file an issue in the issue tracker so we can try and squeeze it into the upcoming patch. It’s hard to say how long the following patch takes after this upcoming patch.

We hope you’ve enjoyed the A-4E-C module as much as we have. Thank you for your support.

.Lua request

hello all,

a coulple of .lua requests

was wondering if there are any commands to assign the throttle movement for engine start to a button (on my warthog).

would rather assign a button than mouse click.

also, was hoping someone had a .lua line addition for the hook to act as up/down on the warthog switch

i have done a quick search but could not find anything.

thanks in advance

Edited by av8r13

Nosewheel steering

hello all,

was there an answer for the below question? i couldnt find one. thanks

"I have one question so far on the nosewheel steering

When I bind buttons for steering engage/disengage nothing seems to happen likewise the Hi Gain mode

Does it simply not work or am I missing something?"