Community A-4E-C

hello all,

a coulple of .lua requests

was wondering if there are any commands to assign the throttle movement for engine start to a button (on my warthog).

would rather assign a button than mouse click.

also, was hoping someone had a .lua line addition for the hook to act as up/down on the warthog switch

i have done a quick search but could not find anything.

thanks in advance

I'll need to look into this as I'm not sure how possible it would be. I wouldn't even know what to name that control. :lol:

hello all,

was there an answer for the below question? i couldnt find one. thanks

"I have one question so far on the nosewheel steering

When I bind buttons for steering engage/disengage nothing seems to happen likewise the Hi Gain mode

Does it simply not work or am I missing something?"

There's no steering engage/disengage or hi-gain steering for the module at the moment. Nose wheel steering is always on. It's probably an erroneous keybind that's leftover. If that's true then you can file a bug report so we can remove it.

Hello fellow pilots !

I'm having some hard time trying to install this mod, i've done exactly as the README says and extracted the .zip content into the C:\users\saved games\DCS but when i launch the game i cant see the A4 available in the main menu mod/dlcs listed at the button of the screen, also in the mission editor the A4 is not listed in the available aircraft list.

Could please someone help me ? :(

Hello fellow pilots !

I'm having some hard time trying to install this mod, i've done exactly as the README says and extracted the .zip content into the C:\users\saved games\DCS but when i launch the game i cant see the A4 available in the main menu mod/dlcs listed at the button of the screen, also in the mission editor the A4 is not listed in the available aircraft list.

Hi. You need to extract the module in the C:\users\saved games\DCS, it will create a mod folder were the plane is located.

I installed the module for the first time few days a go, just a simple rar decompression and now I have crush with that beautiful plane.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Community A-4E-C

Hello fellow pilots !

7e9bd5443a67c026de21cb4909f4d663.plist

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Zuni Rockets - Weight seems incorrect in ME

When choosing weapons for the A-4E-C in Mission Editor (ME), the weight of LAU-10 - 4 Zuni MK 71 seems incorrect. The weight of an A-4E with full internal fuel and 100% internal gun ammo is shown as 17148 lbs in ME. I then add a LAU-10 - 4 Zuni MK 71 to any pylon and I get 18118 lbs. With a weapons weight of 1089 lbs. Take away the 119 lbs of the 20mm ammo and you have 970 lbs for a LAU-10 launcher pod with 4 Zuni rockets in it. Now, Zuni rockets vary a bit in weight depending on rocket motor and warhead combination used. But the NAVAIR Tactical Pocket Guide A-4/TA-4 Aircraft 1976 lists the LAU-10/A Rocket Pack as 553 lbs full and 105 lbs empty, without specifying warhead or motor. So why 970 lbs in the A-4E-C mod in DCS? And when 2 LAU-10's are mounted on a pylon, it goes up to 2046 lbs, that's 970 lbs x2, plus the weight of a TER which is 105 lbs. But shouldn't those weights be 553 and 1211 lbs? That's a significant difference.

Searching the Internet, I found various sources on the Zuni rocket. I tried to stick to only US Navy publications (declassified).

I'll get right to the proper weights of the Zuni rocket configurations, followed by some interesting information on the Zuni rocket components, below.

The weights:

MK 16 with Mk 24 warhead -- 108 lbs

MK 16 with Mk 32 warhead -- 108 lbs

MK 16 with Mk 33 illum -- 105 lbs

MK 16 with Mk 63 warhead -- 115 lbs

MK 71 Mod 0 with Mk 24 -- 115 lbs

MK 71 Mod 0 with Mk 32 -- 115 lbs

MK 71 Mod 0 with Mk 33 -- 112 lbs

MK 71 Mod 0 with Mk 63 -- 123 lbs

MK 71 Mod 1 with Mk 24 -- 128 lbs

MK 71 Mod 1 with Mk 32 -- 128 lbs

MK 71 Mod 1 with Mk 33 -- 125 lbs

MK 71 Mod 1 with Mk 63 -- 136 lbs

LAU-10/A launcher (empty)-- 105 lbs

The LAU-10/A thru -10B/A launchers were not compatible with the MK 71 motor. So, I presume, LAU-10/A launchers would have only been loaded with MK 16 motored Zuni's. That would be 105 lbs for the launcher and 108 lbs x 4 for the rockets, totaling 537 lbs. However, the NAVAIR publication lists the loaded weight for the LAU-10/A as 553 lbs. So, a disagreement of sources. If the MK 16's were loaded with Mk 63 warheads, that would 565 lbs. Still doesn't work out. But since the NAVAIR guide doesn't specify which configuration of Zuni it probably does some weighted average. 12 to 15 lbs of give-or-take may not be that important. I think I'd go with the list of weights I have, above. Anywhere from 525 to 565 per loaded LAU-10/A. A loaded LAU-10C/A or LAU-10D/A would be more. Let's assume a 140-lb empty weight for a LAU-10D/A. With 136-lb MK 71 Zuni's, that's still only 684 lbs, not 970 lbs.

The LAU-10/A is the 4-tube launcher that holds 4 Zuni rockets and can be mounted on an A-4E pylons and TER (Triple Ejector Racks).

The Zuni rocket itself consists of 3 components: Rocket motor (aft body with fins), warhead (forward portion of body and nose) and a fuze on the warhead. There are 2 different rocket motor sections, the MK 16 Mod 1 and the MK 71 Mod 0 and Mod 1. Each of those can be connected to any of about 7 different warheads, some of which can be configured with 3 different fuzes. Basically, there is the Mk 24 GP warhead that has a delay fuze built into the base. The delay is 5ms, for use in armor piercing applications with an inert steel nose cone attached. It can penetrate 2 inches of steel, 3 feet of concrete and up to 30 feet of dirt. Then there is a point detonating (PD) fuze which provides instantaneous detonation for general purpose, which mounts on the nose in place of the steel nose cone. Finally, there is a proximity (VT) fuze which can attach to the nose to provide for air burst, fragmentation of the Mk 24 warhead. You would think that would be enough, but there is also a Mk 32 warhead that is called ATAP (Anti-tank, Anti-personnel). It only accepts the PD and VT fuzes. With the PD fuze, it effects a shape-charge and can defeat pretty much all conventional armor (to 18 inches), including tanks and battleships, as well as blasting a ring of anti-personnel/soft-target fragmentation out to 70 feet radius. The VT fuze sacrifices anti-tank function for a wider area of anti-personnel effect, by air bursting. And then there is the Mk 33 warhead which is a parachute flare that can rapidly place itself 3 miles in front of the launching aircraft and provide 1.7 million candle-power of light for 70 seconds. There is also a Mk 34 smoke warhead (WP-white phosphorus and RP-red phosphorus) and a Mk 63 HE-fragmentation warhead.

The lower-powered MK 16 rocket motor was used from 1960 to beyond 1971. Pretty much all of the Vietnam War. The MK 71 motor entered service in June 1971 and was more likely used mostly by the US Marine Corps with the A-4F and A-4M Skyhawks in the 70's and 80's and beyond. The MK 71 Mod 1 is apparently still in inventory today.

Interesting note: The Zuni rocket was developed for use as an unguided aerial rocket against aircraft. It was developed with the proximity fuze. The only air-to-air victory of an A-4 in the Vietnam War was the shooting down of a MiG-17 with a Zuni rocket! I would presume one with a proximity fuze. The rocket motor of the Zuni was used to develop the AIM-9B Sidewinder. And that is why the Sidewinder is 5-inches in diameter...it is a Zuni rocket motor with a seeker head and steerable fins attached.

Invisible HIPEG Mk 4 Mod 0 Gun Pod

Hello all.

I just want to fact check before writing up GITHUB bug report.

Does anyone else have a bug regarding invisible HIPEG gun pods on centerline and wing pylons, or it is something that is broken on my end, eg. incorrest update of the mod?

Thanks and regards.

Edited by JamesB86

Community A-4E-C

Dear.

I'm having this problem, after some minutes of flight the turbine just turn off without touch anything, I was at 80% of rpm at a low-level flight. Random failures deactivated in the DCS options. Any thoughts?

Thank you.

Edited by arturojgt

Installing A-4E-C master

Hello people,

I'm having trouble installing the "A-4E-c master" on my DCS.

I downloaded the A-4E-c master and put it in the folder it asks for

but the A4 does not appear in the manager model

what can i be doing wrong?:cry::cry::doh:

thanks.

Hi. I can’t reply chaff and flares after rearm, any advice?

Sorry. I just confirmed that this is a bug from the last public release version. I’ve fixed it in our dev branch for the next release.

Community A-4E-C

Thank you, where can I read the reported bugs? GitHub?

Edited by arturojgt

Need help with Deploying the Shrike

So I decided to set up an Iron Hand/Sead mission against an SA-6 battery (3 TELs, 1 Radar, I think it's called the 1S91 not sure and a 4 trucks to simulate spare missile carriers). I also added in a Shilka SPAAA (don't know whether it's possible to actually kill it with the Shrike).

Tried at least 12 times: Wait for the tone, make sure target is within Shrike's range, launch a single Shrike and turn to 'beam' the radar.

-10 out of 12 times the 'Beam-Rider' missile finds the beam (or at least it seems to) as it lofts up. 2 times it goes ballistic.

- Almost every time whether my 'Scooter' is being painted by the radar (threat light on and at times a few missile launches), or not the first missile misses by a few feet (usually it overshoots).

- I also tried the really close in approach (approach the battery at deck level and pop-up at the last minute and engage) but that's a total failure as the Shrike lofts up and over shoots by a large margin.

- I have had limited success but only when I launch the 2nd missile.

This is not a bug report. I love the mod and am anxiously awaiting further development. It's just that I'm failing to understand and apply the correct procedure. I've seen one of the dev's older videos in which he engages and kills and an S-400 radar. So the 'Gainful' (I'm assuming) should be easier. :helpsmilie:

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

Thanks again to the people who have done this, very excellent stuff, appreciated.

Fingers tightly crossed a Phantom comes along one day :D

Let's hope so. :)

CPU: Core i7 7700k, Mobo: GA-Z270x Gaming 7 rev. 1, RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz, GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Amp Edition, SSD: Samsung 850 pro 512 GB, SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 EVO 512 GB (RAID 0), Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD, HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Black, TrackIR 5, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, CH PRO Pedals.

When will AFM be implemented in this bird? Thanks

According to the A-4E-C team's latest post, they are evaluating JSBSim, a flight dynamics library used on Flight Gear open source flight simulator.

Let's hope they can integrate it to our beloved A-4.