Community A-4E-C

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

I've never piloted a real A-4, but the manual of the real thing says:

"TRANSONIC MACH CHARACTERISTICS
At airspeeds up to Mach 0.85 no unusual tendencies
are apparent and stick forces are low to moderate.
A mild nosedown trim change occurs at Mach 0. 85
and increases slightly up to limit Mach number.
This trim change can be countered by applying small
increments of noseup stabilizer trim"

Mach 0.85 is about 566 knots at Sea Level.

WOW!!!! I can't believe how detailed they've made the new FM!!! Thanks for the clarification Rudel_chw.

• Like 2

First off, a big thank you for everyone involved in making this mod. I tried it a little bit sometime ago, with the version 1.4 I think. While I appreciated the level of detail in the avionics and cockpit modelling etc., I felt that the standard flight model (SFM) felt too... "sterile" and the performance of the aircraft seemed unrealistically good. Now, with the new, more advanced External FM in version 2... wow. I'm impressed! The aircraft feels alive. It feels like it is small and agile and nimble (especially the roll rate is ridiculous :D) and at the same time it does not have tons of thrust and will lose energy in heavy manoeuvring. And the buffeting shake and rattle when manoeuvring at low speed / high AOA, clunks and thuds of the flaps, slats, spoilers and landing gear, the sound of airflow... The thing really feels alive! I have no real-world experience in aviation, but for its seat of the pants feel, I rate this module right there at the same level with HB's F-14. And in VR it really feels like you are wearing the jet, and not just sitting in it, as it conveys how small the cockpit really is.

So, the purpose of this long-winded flow of thoughts is to encourage everyone to check the A-4E-C version 2 out. With the previous wersions, I was not a believer, but now I am converted! And to think that a module of this caliber is free!

Because of how fun it is to just fly around in this thing, I've put on the VT-7 training squadron livery and just started again basic flying, pattern work, dead reckoning and TACAN navigation, air to air refueling and, eventually, carrier landing practice… Because of the absence of a HUD, I think this is excellent practice for the Tomcat, in which my carrier landings are horrible…

I also attach here a training mission I use to practice landing patterns, navigation and aerial refueling in the NTTR, in case somebody wants to try it out. https://youtu.be/JU-2ltCMGCE

Finally, I have a small wish for the developers of this mod. Would it be possible to add empty external tanks to the stores? I recently came across an interview of a former TA-4 instructor pilot in youtube, who mentioned that the TA-4s were loaded with empty wing tanks especially during carrier quals, because if a student would break the landing gear, the aircraft could make an emergency landing on a land-based runway using the empty tanks as skids! So that would be a cool loadout option to have! (The HB’s F-14 has empty external fuel tanks as stores option, so I think it is possible.)

TA-4E_001.jpg

TA-4_002.jpg

Nellis A-4E-C training.miz

A4E-000.png

A4E-001.png

Edited by MagicSlave
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, MagicSlave said:

I also attach here a training mission I use to practice landing patterns, navigation and aerial refueling in the NTTR, in case somebody wants to try it out. https://youtu.be/JU-2ltCMGCE

Thanks a lot for sharing the mission, very toughtful 👍

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Switched to the dev version now, great experience. Had some fun with the ultrafast one after dropping from CBU pods back in the first beta before that though awesome.png

Wheel brake axes are now as in other modules, they use the full range, works well with my UJR setup (I kinda like to have that so I can decide not to brake differentially for slowing down just with the slider) and I had to invert the axes as well just like in other modules. I'm also very happy with the increased NWS authority now, so much better!

Just a few things I noticed (in the first beta and the dev ver I run now):

- I mapped the AFCS HDG SET thingto my throttle unit, but it doesn't take multiple inputs when held down which is very inconvenient for dialing in a heading as you have to click again and again for every single degree. Works OK when scrolling with the mouse or VR controller though.

- I can't scroll the reticle depression thing, neither with mouse, nor with VR controllers. I have to left click and drag, which is kinda weird with the latter. Being able to scroll would rock

- I somehow experience like having half the fps within the cockpit as opposed to being external or in basically any other module. Weird about this is I didn't have that on my first flight, after which I went into the special options and made some changes there including the trim speed down to 50%, which is the only one of them still left now. Haven't tried going back to 100% to see if that causes it though. Might do that on my next run and report back on it.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I was able to land without exploding, which is great. Did the power cart change design? 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

How do you aim in ACM? Given that the A-4 carries precious few rounds and that they don't seem to do all that much damage unless you are really close, it's imperative to make every round count. The F-86 had a lead computing gun sight, but the A-4 appears to have none. Do you just aim it like a WWII warbird and use your best guess and experience? And, yes, I know the A-4 is not supposed to be a fighter, but adding a lead computing gun sight would't detract from its light attack mission. And they even used the A-4 in the Top Gun school to simulate enemy MiG-17s...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

...  I know the A-4 is not supposed to be a fighter, but adding a lead computing gun sight would't detract from its light attack mission.

Did the real A-4E had a lead computing gunsight?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

1 hour ago, Doc3908 said:

How do you aim in ACM? Given that the A-4 carries precious few rounds and that they don't seem to do all that much damage unless you are really close, it's imperative to make every round count. The F-86 had a lead computing gun sight, but the A-4 appears to have none. Do you just aim it like a WWII warbird and use your best guess and experience? And, yes, I know the A-4 is not supposed to be a fighter, but adding a lead computing gun sight would't detract from its light attack mission. And they even used the A-4 in the Top Gun school to simulate enemy MiG-17s...

The sight on the A-4 is completely old school, you can manually change depression, and that it. It's like a rife's iron sight.

On 2/19/2021 at 10:39 AM, Tomcatter87 said:

Thanks for that very cool update! Since I'm kinda having a hard time dogfighting in the scooter. I depart controlled flight quite often or end up bleeding all of my energy. From the Tomcat, I'm used to use rudder to roll, but the A-4 doesnt seem to like that. What about AFCS and stability augmentation? Leave it on or switch it off? Are there any advices what to do? What turning speed is the best?

First of all the A-4 is not exactly meant as a dogfighter - so I would think that is the first part of the problem. 😅

Since the wings of the A-4 a somewhat delta-shaped I figure it has a typical high AOA at the expense of rapid energy bleeding character (like the Mirage e.g.).

Therefore I would always try to drop my nose when in need of turning rates.

I haven't seen any suggestions for best turning speed (probably because it's an "A"-4 and not an "F"-4).

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

What also needs to be borne in mind is that the A-4s used for Aggressor training are very different beasts to the A-4E we have in DCS; they were often stripped of their avionics and their pylons, reducing the aircrafts weight significantly and thus increasing their Thrust:Weight and reducing their wing loading. Some also had uprated engines, increasing the T:W even further.

That said, bleeding your E in an A-4 dogfight is going to be an inevitability; with no afterburner you can't brute force your way through manoeuvres like the dedicated air superiority machines can. As Hiob says, you'll tend to nose low during sustained turns to try and mortgage some altitude for E but you'll have to fly smart and aggressive - and hope your opponent flies dumb - to be victorious. If your opponent hits the vertical anytime you try to force an overshoot or look like you're gaining angles, it's going to be a tough fight for even a hotrod A-4, let alone for you in a fleet standard jet carrying a lot of black boxes.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 2

After a few hours of flying against various AI opponents, I'm quite comfortable with the way the A-4 flies. All the "enemy" is set to "veteran" except for the F-15 (because all it does on "veteran" is endless vertical loops). I did give myself a "handicap" - I start with 55% fuel, but the opponents are loaded with 75-80%. In all engagements against the AI, I was shot down only once and that's because I got distracted and let the F-15 get behind me. Of course, flying against a competent human player is a whole different ball-game - the AI is too predictable and limited in what they do. But at least this shows that the little Scooter is not as helpless as one might think. Hope you enjoy this video. (There will be part II at some point - against Red aircraft.)

25 minutes ago, Doc3908 said:

After a few hours of flying against various AI opponents ...

Sincerely, I don't get the interest on using the A-4 like if it were a WW2 fighter ... I prefer to use it for attacking enemy ground forces 🙂

If you are into intense dogfighting (which I totally get!) than the WW2 birds are the way to go....

or take an F-16 against a Mig-29 or a F-86 against a Mig-15.

But why would you take a ground attack aircraft for dogfighting?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

I don't see anything strange with using A-4 as a dogfighter. It was after all used as an agile subsonic agressor for many years in pilot training. A lightly loaded scooter shot be interesting to put up against some other planes. Don't know if I'd go as far as Eagle. Not that I've even done it yet, I'm using it for ground pounding, but will eventually entertain it in some light air to air as well :).

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

It‘s absolutely ok to dogfight with the A-4. It‘s a game after all. You can mess around as much as you like.

The thing was the „I had a hard time dogfighting in the A-4“....well, yeah, of course - bc it‘s not a dogfighter.

...and when you really are into dogfighting, then why picking an A-4?

We were just wondering - no judgement intended!

3 minutes ago, Hiob said:

... It‘s a game after all. ...

We have different focus, to me DCS is mostly a flight simulator ... if I wanted a game, I would be playing Arma 3 then 🙂

2 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

Sincerely, I don't get the interest on using the A-4 like if it were a WW2 fighter ... I prefer to use it for attacking enemy ground forces 🙂

Point taken. I'm definitely into A2A but, in this case, I  just want to find out what the airframe is capable of. I used to fly the old ver.1.4 against F-16, F-18, and JF-17 carrying an assortment of AIM-120C, AIM-9M/X, and SD-10s - just so I can see what it takes to survive against a superior opponent. Flying against superior opponents helps improve my situational awareness and makes me look for non-standard ways to survive (and maybe win). All in good fun! 🙂

Cheers!

Doc

Edited by Doc3908
  • Like 1

Was reading I was supposed to delete my 1.3 bindings and I didn't... they're still there and everything seems to work...

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

11 hours ago, Hiob said:

It‘s absolutely ok to dogfight with the A-4. It‘s a game after all. You can mess around as much as you like.

The thing was the „I had a hard time dogfighting in the A-4“....well, yeah, of course - bc it‘s not a dogfighter.

...and when you really are into dogfighting, then why picking an A-4?

We were just wondering - no judgement intended!

Well, since (a different version of) the A-4 played a prominent role as a dogfighting adversary training american pilots, I think it's legit to test how the A-4 mod performs in that arena. After all, we fly it from the supercarrier without having regrets. And not to forget the Skyhawk had an air-to-air kill in Vietnam. With a Zuni rocket. 😉

• Like 2

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

Hi , good morning. I have an issue with new version 2.0. It never happens before with other versions like 1.4.

The issue is that when i select the slot, it brings me to a free camara on the air, and its unflyable.

Any help? Thanks!!! It is correct instaled.

Most likely this, Faviou2:

Source: installation help on the A-4 Discord channel:
The module is installed correctly, but I am unable to take control of the aircraft.
Ensure you have installed Microsoft's Visual Studio 2015, 2017 and 2019 Redistributable libraries. Windows users running DCS world are typically running x64, so you will want to download and install vc_redist.x64.exe (~15 MB) from the following page, install the library, and then restart your computer:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads-2647da03-1eea-4433-9aff-95f26a218cc0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

On 2/20/2021 at 3:48 PM, Doc3908 said:

The radio certainly works, but...

1. You have to tune to the appropriate frequency (e.g. carrier) - if you don't, then easy-comm does nothing when in the air.

2. As seen in my video above, I contact the carrier and call "See you at 10". I am advised to contact the tower, which is usually automatic when I am close to the carrier. However, from time to time, I fly past the carrier and nothing happens (as was the case in the video). I even called "see you at 10" a second time and was, once again, advised to contact the tower, but there's no way to initiate such communication (that is a Supercarrier issue). 

3. TACAN and ICLS do not work with Supercarrier. The A-4 works fine with land-based TACAN stations and, apparently, with Stennis (haven't tried myself yet). But I have never gotten it to work with any of the supercarriers.

4. TACAN apparently also doesn't work with AAR tankers.

You don't actually need to tune the radio with easy-comm's on, you just need the radio on. Currently easy-comms will set the frequency however the display will not update. I recommend flying without easy comms though because the radio is fully functional.

TACAN is a workaround and doesn't hook into the CockpitBase code the same way the radio does. Unfortunately although completely possible to reverse engineer the TACAN, it is not possible to create an instance of the TACAN meaning the only way to create a TACAN device would be to write your own which would require the header files from the SDK. Which of course we do not have.

ILS can be hooked similar to the radio, however one cannot tune the native ILS device to the carrier frequencies. So there is no point in replacing the existing workaround we have anyway.

• Like 1

I guess it's a bit late now but, here we go: The solution to the no cockpit problem that I had was the missing C++ Redistributable. With that out of the way, I can say that I am in absolute awe with this mod. A big thank you to those involved in making it and to those that helped me fix my issue!

Cheers!

• Like 2

Все буде добре