Real life Hornet Grip Material?

memoric

It's probably a quality/cost issue. For a grip like this you'd want to use a high strength plastic like fibreglass reinforced Nylon (the stuff you'll find in everything from power tools to Magpul Pmags). The disadvantage, from a production point of view, is that GF Nylon is quite abbrasive, and it wears out the injection moulds relatively quickly compared to other materials, increasing the production cost. Using die cast zinc is most likely a cheaper option.

Keep in mind the new stick is made for the Warthog base. So, to keep the same feel it needed to be about the same weight as the Warthog stick. It took metal to do that. They even added some material to the top to keep the CG the same as the Hornet stick is tilted forward.

Buzz

+2. Pre-ordered my TM Hornet stick last night.

Doesn't matter what the stick is made from, it's not gonna experience high G's anyway.

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

After having the Hornet grip in my hands today, I pre-ordered. Guys it really feels incredible; I did not think I would like it so much.

I guess it depends on the size of your hand. One of the reviews I posted he didn't like how it was layed out. Mostly the pinky button and lever switch. How did that feel for you?

What size glove do you wear?

Buzz

I guess it depends on the size of your hand. One of the reviews I posted he didn't like how it was layed out. Mostly the pinky button and lever switch. How did that feel for you?

What size glove do you wear?

My hands are just medium size. The button layout seems fine; at least when the stock is lower than your chest. With the stick between the legs I had no issue pressing any button.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Ok, thanks. I have big old bear paws for hands. I live in a very small town at 9000ft in the Rockies. I have no chance to hold one unless I buy it.

A decision i'll have to make. I need to decide if I want to fly a Navy Hornet or the Air Force Viper. Then deciding on a grip will be easy. I'd rather focus on just one plane and get as good as I can.

Buzz

After having the Hornet grip in my hands today, I pre-ordered. Guys it really feels incredible; I did not think I would like it so much.

That's great to hear! Definitely feeling a bit better about the pre-order after seeing your post.

lutFJb0.png

Ok, thanks. I have big old bear paws for hands. I live in a very small town at 9000ft in the Rockies. I have no chance to hold one unless I buy it.

A decision i'll have to make. I need to decide if I want to fly a Navy Hornet or the Air Force Viper. Then deciding on a grip will be easy. I'd rather focus on just one plane and get as good as I can.

Don't forget, it will also be the perfect stick for the F-15E :smilewink:

Edited by TacoGrease
Don't even trip, dawg (formatting)

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

Yes, that's true but I have the perfect stick now for the Viper and that won't cost me anything.

Hard to pass that up. Especially, since i'm a fan of the plane too.

I believe the right throttle of the Warthog is also taken from the F-15E.

Buzz

Being made of polymer does not mean is gonna have the same weight or touch of the real one. I'm curious how much is going to weight the TM grip.. can't imagine with the same weight than the T-50 which feels like a toy compared with the Warthog.

TM Warthog is a bit over 1000g, TM Hornet is a bit over 800g. Real Hornet grip is also a bit over 800g.

Doesn’t really matter though bc required actuation force in the Hornet (the real one) is higher than any joystick base we have available to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

TM Warthog is a bit over 1000g, TM Hornet is a bit over 800g. Real Hornet grip is also a bit over 800g.

Doesn’t really matter though bc required actuation force in the Hornet (the real one) is higher than any joystick base we have available to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are you basing the stick force comment on? I’ve been curious about stick feel in FBW jets since spending time in the hornet module, as I don’t like the feel of sim sticks (or, at least, have yet to find one with the feel I want) and am curious about the real thing, as it's essentially a sim stick with no linkage to control surfaces.. Anything you have would be interesting- angle/travel for max input, deflection/centering force, pilot AMAs, etc

I’m surprised that the stock warthog isn’t heavier than the real hornet. I found the stock WH w/o extension excessive, particular centering force, and generally unrealistic feeling. I’ve found the warbrd far more precise, but the angle too much (have high hopes for new t50).

Edited by sk000tch

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about