How is the VR performance improvement?

Rakamora

As I haven't received this update automatically, could somebody please tell me where I go to get it and install it?

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

@parxuk, goto Start/EagleDynamics/ Update DCS world..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Thanks @the_nephilim, but mine isn't finding any updates and says the currently installed version is the most up to date.

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

My performance is way better than it was and its not placebo because there was a very noticible stutter whenever I looped in a plane that is now gone. And I don't know if it's this update or not, but DCS looks fantastic in VR these days!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I concur . Took a quick test flight in the Caucasus , and noted no stuttering when i quickly looked to the side in a place where i normally get them under that circumstance .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

T4Fc4FA.png

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

T4Fc4FA.png

Yes the VR patch is not in yet, but they fixed a memory leak and replaced trees with ones that perform better. So, overall perfromance was increased with the 2.5.5 beta patch but the VR patch has yet to come.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Yes the VR patch is not in yet, but they fixed a memory leak and replaced trees with ones that perform better. So, overall perfromance was increased with the 2.5.5 beta patch but the VR patch has yet to come.
Imperialist lies! ;)

Well, what I mean is that they fixed a bunch of performance related stuff for 2.5.5 that in the end led to the famous "50% increase for VR hysteria". We got a bunch of those in 2.5.5 but not the "only affecting VR performance fix" they have been testing. But I am pretty sure that we already got ~25 of the 50% - at least I feels that way for me, being a glass half full placebo guy ;)

I am VERY happy with the stuff we already got in 2.5.5. The annoying micro stuttering when looking to the sides are almost gone. Feels silk smooth with 45+ all the time now so any improvements are just icing on the cake for me...

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and DCS on separate Intel 665P NVME SSD

What exactly is the VR "performance patch" supposed to do?

How come there is so much overhead for improvement?

Also, obviously skeptical of claims of "50% improvment". Usually means something like "1-50% with an average somewhere close to 8%".

And what does improvement mean? 50% faster FPS would be great but 50% blacker blacks not so much.

The 50% came from Wags that it is the benefit. Likely there is somekind double drawing or so going on so they can directly drop 50% of the rendering requirements.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Only performance improvement you will see is in Multiplayer, because you can't enable shadows. No shadows = big performance boost. In single player, everything is the same until they do include the rest of the code. Hopefully next week.

I have a test mission that I created for testing P5K+ visibility. And it's showing 5-10 FPS improvement. *BUT* it could be because I updated the Pitool to the latest.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Title.

Was the 50% increase an exaggeration?

Depends on the context, I didn't happen to focus on VR-specific stuff, but a small and easy to fix thing in code can mean huge things in practice, if any of you are following Dolphin-emu progress reports such cases are documented time and time again ... optimization is a big deal.

About the impact of LABELS: Stable 2.5.4 (I'm Stable-only these days)

ku1JRs7.png

02C45cX.png

Those could be draw call (CPU) related, something that might have been improved too even without the need of Vulkan API.

Same thing for the trees. The engine may be processing multiple trees more efficiently.

As in this example below, on the one hand it's not only about the API, if an implementation (code) of the graphics engine lacks optimizations it doesn't help if a cool new API is used. DCS may had some of those improvements in 2.5.5

1oeqPml.png

However on the other hand, you can see how massive the improvement can be when API features fundamentally better capabilities, not only does each draw calls cost much less on Vulkan API, it has the features to do things in one draw call that previous APIs cannot, so to answer the question, rumors of +50% increases MAY NOT BE SO FAR FETCHED. And the bigger question is, if +50% with just existing implementation improvements, what about the improvements with the new API .... so there you go :)

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

I also noticed a major improvement with 2.5.5. I don't get any stutter at all in GULF no matter where I am in the city, and which plane I fly with. And this is with the increased resolution of Rift S. If the VR improvements are not in, I wonder what they are going to be like..

The 50% came from Wags that it is the benefit. Likely there is somekind double drawing or so going on so they can directly drop 50% of the rendering requirements.

One thing that ever seems strange to me was the poor performance when looking at the sides compared to front views. This is something easy to find when flying over forests at caucasus. If you are looking forward the fps are fine, but if you look a forest from the side the fps go down. Like if the engine ever is rendering the front view and when looking at the sides it have double work to do.

One thing that ever seems strange to me was the poor performance when looking at the sides compared to front views. This is something easy to find when flying over forests at caucasus. If you are looking forward the fps are fine, but if you look a forest from the side the fps go down. Like if the engine ever is rendering the front view and when looking at the sides it have double work to do.

I get this also when looking at 3/9, but my frames don't drop. The scene just judders, not smooth at all.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Just had a chance to finally check out 2.5.5 Open Beta.

Wow, I most definitely got a boost in VR performance with my Rift S.. And I know it is not about the performance increasing coming that Wags is talking about, cause this is flying the Spit over Normandy. Normandy is not included in that increase Wags is talking about.

Better performance on the ground and in the air, nice surprise.

Can't wait to see what the VR performance increase they are working on brings to the other maps. Might have to get back to learning the F/A 18-C.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Wow, I most definitely got a boost in VR performance with my Rift S.. And I know it is not about the performance increasing coming that Wags is talking about, cause this is flying the Spit over Normandy. Normandy is not included in that increase Wags is talking about.

Can't wait to see what the VR performance increase they are working on brings to the other maps. Might have to get back to learning the F/A 18-C.

Hi dBurne, can you also test Caucasus map, and check your performance, especially the side views.

Thanks!

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Same here, and I get that better performance without even having the shaders mod installed like I did with 2.5.3 and 2.5.4. One thing I have noticed, however, is that there now seems to be this random sun glare issue, usually with the right eye.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I get quite a drastic difference dependant on aircraft, is that an issue with my cpu?

For example the new mig 19 i struggle to maintain a decent frame rate vs the harrier for example. f14 way worse than the f18.

So i do get better performance with these trees but certain aircraft are difficult in vr.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//