VR Friendly DCS

jmod

As VR is getting its real place, I was wondering if ED is also planning to make DCS more VR friendly, like:

1) Standard Systems Modeling (SSM) Cockpits to be clickable.

2) Right click on mouse to bring some action items (like F1, F2, ... F10 view), or even adding custom commands like on/off gears ...

3) Optimization (multi-CPU/GPU) support to give the smoothest experience in VR

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

Can't see right-click mouse ever happening, as it's coded into the controls of too many modules - and 3rd parties would not be happy if they had to recode everything, regardless if ED wanted to (which I really can't see them doing).

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

I was talking about that in the past. Right now our mouse cursor is 2D inside 3D environment. And here is a leying major problem for interaction in the cockpit.

The mouse cursor has only X and Y axis and it is locked to the view not to the 3D spacing inside the cockpit so when you move your head it is moving the cursor as well.

The mouse cursor should get 3, X, Y and Z axis and be positioned relative to cockpit space independent from direction of view.

I was talking about that in the past. Right now our mouse cursor is 2D inside 3D environment. And here is a leying major problem for interaction in the cockpit.

The mouse cursor has only X and Y axis and it is locked to the view not to the 3D spacing inside the cockpit so when you move your head it is moving the cursor as well.

The mouse cursor should get 3, X, Y and Z axis and be positioned relative to cockpit space independent from direction of view.

You can turn off head mouse. You can use VoiceAttack to position the mouse precisely over any instrument in the cockpit.

You can turn off head mouse. You can use VoiceAttack to position the mouse precisely over any instrument in the cockpit.

Personally , i like the head mouse . Very fast ufc entries for example . Re: VoiceAttack , something like "cursor left , right , up , down" ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Personally , i like the head mouse . Very fast ufc entries for example . Re: VoiceAttack , something like "cursor left , right , up , down" ?

If you want the mouse to appear over the landing gear lever for example, you might use ‘gear up/down’ to bring the mouse up over the pixel coordinates of that lever and execute a left click.

If you want the mouse to appear over the landing gear lever for example, you might use ‘gear up/down’ to bring the mouse up over the pixel coordinates of that lever and execute a left click.

Interesting . Thanks for the reply !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

It's a lame excuse that physics/math simulator can not leverage multi-tasking, there are lots of independent operation in an frame that can be done in parallel. The big barrier is to redesign and re-architecture (from ground up) something that was started 30 years ago.

This is what new Microsoft Flight Simulator is doing:

:)

It's a lame excuse that physics/math simulator can not leverage multi-tasking, there are lots of independent operation in an frame that can be done in parallel. The big barrier is to redesign and re-architecture (from ground up) something that was started 30 years ago.

This is what new Microsoft Flight Simulator is doing:

:)

Damn. I didn't even know MS was rebooting the franchise. I hope it's optimized for VR as well.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

VR Friendly DCS

It's a lame excuse that physics/math simulator can not leverage multi-tasking, there are lots of independent operation in an frame that can be done in parallel. The big barrier is to redesign and re-architecture (from ground up) something that was started 30 years ago

30 years is a long time to figure it out. you’d think it would be a solved problem by now. yet none of the sims do it.

maybe they need some help?

or maybe they are just being stubborn.

30 years is a long time to figure it out. you’d think it would be a solved problem by now. yet none of the sims do it.

There's a saying in technology that I love. God created the heavens and the Earth in 7 days. (Because there was no install base)

It's very hard to change something mid-stride when you have customers. Hard to maintain the (some) backward compatibility etc. It's even harder for developers to change the engine and the IDE.

In the future, could AI do things like this? I guess the MS 2019 video hints at it, although I'm guessing 98% of it is marketing than reality.

But Nvidia recently pulled off one of the holy grails: Computer drawn human face that's indistinguishable from a picture. I certainly couldn't tell which was a computer drawn face and which was an actual picture.

So although the new maps took a LONG time to come to fruition, the upcoming changes like Vulkan adoption will go a long way to opening the road to multi-core engines.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Or just have the gear go up when you say "gear up." It's more immersive than you might think. When you cheerfully announce to your flight "3, wheels up" you can program it to retract gear, wait four seconds and then retract flaps. Later when you announce "fence in," have it turn your lights off, master arm on, arm countermeasures, turn on seeker head cooling... you get the picture. ALso check out vaicom pro (watch the spelling, https://www.vaicompro.com/) which controls your comm menus. "Overlord, bogey dope" and "Chief, apply ground power" make stuff happen. It's really cool (really cool!) when youre working with a forward air controller.

There are a number of possible solutions to working stuff in VR.

For FC3 you need buttons and lots of them (or voice attack, which is pretty slick here). A USB keypad is another inexpensive way to get started. (hint: glue beads to some keys to help you find them by feel)

For high fidelity modules, you need a pointing device. Miles's finger-mouse looks interesting. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861. Otherwise you can use oculus controllers, a trackball, or a mouse.

Voice attack can help with both if it can accommodate the way you speak. It's not perfect.

Whatever you choose will require some getting used to. Pick something and put the time in. I will say, you do get used to the mouse. Head movement is your coarse adjustment, mouse movement is the fine adjustment. You learn to coordinate the two. (hint: get a gaming mouse, that'll give you some extra buttons for common functions that are never clickable like map view, kneepad view or chat window)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Or just have the gear go up when you say "gear up." It's more immersive than you might think. When you cheerfully announce to your flight "3, wheels up" you can program it to retract gear, wait four seconds and then retract flaps. Later when you announce "fence in," have it turn your lights off, master arm on, arm countermeasures, turn on seeker head cooling... you get the picture. ALso check out vaicom pro (watch the spelling, https://www.vaicompro.com/) which controls your comm menus. "Overlord, bogey dope" and "Chief, apply ground power" make stuff happen. It's really cool (really cool!) when youre working with a forward air controller.

Can you say "Go kill enemy!"?

There are a number of possible solutions to working stuff in VR.

For FC3 you need buttons and lots of them (or voice attack, which is pretty slick here). A USB keypad is another inexpensive way to get started. (hint: glue beads to some keys to help you find them by feel)

For high fidelity modules, you need a pointing device. Miles's finger-mouse looks interesting. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861. Otherwise you can use oculus controllers, a trackball, or a mouse.

Voice attack can help with both if it can accommodate the way you speak. It's not perfect.

Whatever you choose will require some getting used to. Pick something and put the time in. I will say, you do get used to the mouse. Head movement is your coarse adjustment, mouse movement is the fine adjustment. You learn to coordinate the two. (hint: get a gaming mouse, that'll give you some extra buttons for common functions that are never clickable like map view, kneepad view or chat window)

Why wouldn't it be able to? If you have a funny accent that VA gets wrong, then you just need to type the command that VA reports. There's no point programming in the Queen's English if you have an thick Geordie accent. I don't understand why people have such trouble with this.

Anyway, the pixel coordinate trick is useful in various non obvious ways, but my point is that VA can emulate a mouse click.

They don't have money/people to do it, as simple as that. It's definitely possible, there is no technical constraints preventing them from doing that. MS Flight Sim will prove it.

• 4 weeks later...

(Near) future is like "Augmented Reality <-> 5G <-> AI / Cloud Computing". Softwares run on powerful multiple(+100) CPUs/multiple (accelerated) GPUs on servers (cloud) and send data over wideband 5G to our virtual reality headsets (edge clients). That's why it is important to redesign old softwares to leverage the architecture.

(Near) future is like "Augmented Reality <-> 5G <-> AI / Cloud Computing". Softwares run on powerful multiple(+100) CPUs/multiple (accelerated) GPUs on servers (cloud) and send data over wideband 5G to our virtual reality headsets (edge clients). That's why it is important to redesign old softwares to leverage the architecture.

Unfortunately that wouldn’t solve the latency issues

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 4 weeks later...
they solved the speed of electromagnetic energy problem?

LOL...

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

5G is about to reduce latency.

Sounds like somebody has been taken in by the expensive adverts using lots of serious sounding jargon =) Marketing =/= reality

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 5 weeks later...