First Hornet grip video?

ChicoMadera

What?

It's available for pre-order ($169.99) at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-VG-18-Grip-Add-PC/dp/B07H1Z3L67/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Fa18+stick&qid=1559925484&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I've placed my order on a leap of faith that it will be compatible with my Virpil T-50 base.

I never expected it to be that expensive. I paid 220 USD at a retail store for my TMW stick only (never liked TMW throttle). I was expecting price tag around 100USD for a grip without a base.

Plus, is this really metal? Wasn't the real thing made out of some sort of plastic?

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Probably... RAZBAM's working on it and no matter how long it takes, it rather should come within the next decade. It's the next thing they want to release.

Where was this stated?

2080Ti FTW3 Ultra - G.Skill RJ 32GB (16x2) DDR4 3200 - Ryzen 2700X 4.2Ghz OC - Corsair H100i Pro - Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2TB - TMW HOTAS w Delta Sim - F/A-18C grip - 10cm Sahaj - TrackIR 5 Pro - Rift CV1 - MFG CWind - BuddyFox UFC - DSD RK II - Cougar MFDs w/ LCDs - Foxx Mounts - VPC MongoosT-50CM base

- Maps: NTTR, Persian Gulf, Normandy

- Modules: FC3, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C, F-16C, F-86, KA-50, P-51D, WWII assets, and [insert campaign name]

Dreaming of the F-15E / F-14D / Rhino

Looking at the stick again, isn't it too forward tilted compared to the real aircraft? I think Thrustmaster should've made it tilt towards the back a little in its neutral position.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Too bad it isn't. It would literally have been perfect for the radar antenna elevation or the Tomcat's DLC if it was an axis spring loaded to center itself upon release..

It does return to center.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Looking at the stick again, isn't it too forward tilted compared to the real aircraft? I think Thrustmaster should've made it tilt towards the back a little in its neutral position.

Looks pretty much identical to the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Looks pretty much identical to the real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does, that's not my point. I just think IRL, the entire stick is slightly tilted backwards in its neutral position, so the grip is slightly tilted backwards, for a more natural grasp.

I might be wrong of course, I only have pictures as reference.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I've paid a lot for my build. But €200 a replacement stick grip merely to make the Hornet's feel more authentic, well... frankly I feel insulted. I think they've grossly overestimated DCS' community's anticipation of this product. My guess is the overwhelming majority of people will stick (no pun intended) with their original grips.

The fact remains that these products are mass produced in China and rest assured it'll be for a fraction of the cost for what they'll be selling them for. My experience with working for American companies is unless they make money over fist they're not interested. I use to work for Mira and whilst working there I learned that the heating elements they had made in China would cost around £5 to produce, yet Mira sell them here in the UK for over £100.

It's nothing more than corporate greed. You'll be amazed how cheaply Thrustmaster will have those stick grips produced for, yet they expect people to pay €200 for one lol! Thrustmaster and anyone else who attempts to sell the community this grip is going to get some heat for sure.

Corsair 500D SE|Corsair AX1600i|Windows 11 Pro 64Bit|Intel i9-12900K 3.2Ghz@stock|Gigabyte Master Z690|Corsair H150i Elite Capellix|Gigabyte Vision RTX 3090| 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR5 5600Mhz|Alienware 34 AW3418W Display|Track IR 4 Pro|Logitech 7.1 G930|Samsung Evo 970 NVMe TB SSD|Slaw RX Viper Pedals|Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| F/A18-C Grip|HP Reverb 2|Logitech Lightspeed 502|Logitech Z906 5.1

Can't really justify the pricetag myself either. I mean... I'd probably use it every time I was in one of the dcs aircraft that use this grip style. But at the pricepoint it's not a priority.

I'm with another poster.. if they made an improved gimbal system, sold it with the grip for like $280 i'd be into it.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

It does feel slightly overpriced compared to the current TM Warthog price, but e.g. Virpil TM-compatible grip was more than $150 on release IIRC and it's all plastic.

I didn't really care about it when it was announced, but it kind of grew on me and I'm seriously considering getting one for the other TM base I have.

The Tomcat grip is a bit too basic control wise, so I think this would be a more useful option.

Putting that amount towards the Winwing set might be a better investment, but with postage and customs it would add up quite a lot. In this economy? My thought, exactly.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

They are trying to figure out their price point. Eventually it'll sell along side the warthog at a different (higher) price. It has nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing (duh!). Everything with what people want to spend on a joystick. Some will spend 100, some will spend 200 and some will spend 500. TM has the low and medium price points dominated. Evidently they have their eye on enthusiasts who have $$$ and think the warthog isn't all that

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

They are trying to figure out their price point. Eventually it'll sell along side the warthog at a different (higher) price. It has nothing to do with the cost of manufacturing (duh!). Everything with what people want to spend on a joystick. Some will spend 100, some will spend 200 and some will spend 500. TM has the low and medium price points dominated. Evidently they have their eye on enthusiasts who have $$$ and think the warthog isn't all that

I mean, here in the UK it's only £9 more than a T50CM2 grip.

T-50CM2; £170.96 (not including the shipping which is about 15 euros, comes to about £188 w/shipping)

TM Hornet; £179.99 and has a free shipping option.

The TM Warthog stick w/gimbal is £233.33. on Amazon right now.

It's not THAT expensive here, and that's all with 20% VAT (tax)

Edited by OxideMako

T-50CM2; £170.96 (not including the shipping which is about 15 euros, comes to about £188 w/shipping)

Hornet stick here is $229. Warthog stick with base is $247.

Does that sound fair to you?

Buzz

Exactly.

Action is always at the margins. I'm not gonna spend 200 on a warthog because it's not that much better than my T16K. But I would at least consider 400 for the f18 stick and a virpil base.

Which is where this is going. Figuring out a way to beat virpil and other niche providers at the top of the market.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

For someone flying Hornet most of the time this is a good thing to have I believe. But for me as someone who is flying most modern DCS modules - this is not interesting at all. Especially with that price tag. I am the proud owner of TM Warthog hotas which is just perfect ergonomic solution with more than enough switches, hats and buttons. And yes, I bought that Virpil WarBRD base recently. And that was hell of an addition for my hotas. So for me not being a Hornet only purist this adds very little.

But it got me thinking that timing of this product might be little bit off considering the recent Viper announcement. I understand they needed to finish this, but anyways... I am also a little bit dissapointed (just a little bit, thankfuly the WarBRD exists) they did not come with the new base solution with the new stick.

But, hey, for anyone going to buy this - enjoy and have fun with it, guys! :-)

GIGABYTE Z390 GAMING X | i5 9600k @4.7 GHz | Noctua NH-U14S | MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti @OCed | Patriot 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | 1TB SSD + 1TB HDD | Win10 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + WarBRD | Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals | 1440p AOC Q2790PQU

I had seriously been interested in buying a Hornet Stick, but very disapointed in dsicovering TM only made it a GRIP only option.

considering i dont have TM Warthog stick base, this is very unreasonable expectation and financially nonviable to first buy the WArthog stick and then spend $300 CAD just for the F18 grip alone to use that Warthog's base.

Really bad move on Thrustmaster behalf for not offering an option that comes with a Base, and sell it as as Stick. Not everyone out there has the TM Warthog, and youve basically limited sales potential to TM warthog users only.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD