What a game changer VR is!

Bullant

The best I have ever managed with air to air refuelling is a lucky contact that might last a second or two.

I loaded up a training mission last night with the Rift S and not only was I much more easily able to hold formation with the tanker, connecting the probe felt like a conscious decision, not just good luck.

I even managed to stay connected for more than 2 minutes on one of my hookups!

I am so sold on VR.

The only thing really making life difficult for me now in AAR is stick sensitivity, a bit of stiction that has started to appear in my warthog ... and the tanker decided to turn just as I am about to hookup lol.

Screen_190607_213826.thumb.png.6a936fafa8eb2dfb4db23d0eb147cb69.png

Screen_190607_214310.thumb.png.b87761e044cb932d25cfc0d27a55677c.png

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

The best I have ever managed with air to air refuelling is a lucky contact that might last a second or two.

I loaded up a training mission last night with the Rift S and not only was I much more easily able to hold formation with the tanker, connecting the probe felt like a conscious decision, not just good luck.

I am so sold on VR.

The only thing really making life difficult for me now in AAR is stick sensitivity, a bit of stiction that has started to appear in my warthog ... and the tanker decided to turn just as I am about to hookup lol.

Keep at it. You should be able to hook up with the tanker while he's in the turn. VR makes it infinitely easier with realistic depth perception. As to the stick, what are your curves set to? I have a dead zone of 10 I think and set both pitch and roll curves to 30. It will keep the roll rate slow and more precise until you need it. The manual says use your trim.. right. Lastly there is a Japanese brand white grease made for plastics that is really good, I'll post the name when I find it again. I would deflect the stick over and squeeze the grease in before taking out the gimbal. The wires that go through the gimbal break easily and Thrustmaster charges $70 for a replacement ribbon cable. Splicing them back together required more delicacy than my normally dexterous digits were capable of. I just bought another stick lol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

The ole' stiction inducing plastic ball of the Warthog stick. Time to open her up and regrease and then ......

... No, ... wait. It is time to head online and order a VKB Gunfighter MCG PRO :)

If I had a dime for every stictioning Warthog stick .....

If the reviews are good there might be a winwing Hornet HOTAS setup in my near future. Fingers crossed :)

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Keep at it. You should be able to hook up with the tanker while he's in the turn. VR makes it infinitely easier with realistic depth perception. As to the stick, what are your curves set to? I have a dead zone of 10 I think and set both pitch and roll curves to 30. It will keep the roll rate slow and more precise until you need it. The manual says use your trim.. right. Lastly there is a Japanese brand white grease made for plastics that is really good, I'll post the name when I find it again. I would deflect the stick over and squeeze the grease in before taking out the gimbal. The wires that go through the gimbal break easily and Thrustmaster charges $70 for a replacement ribbon cable. Splicing them back together required more delicacy than my normally dexterous digits were capable of. I just bought another stick lol.

Yeah I almost had it in the turn, almost lol.

I don't have any curves set on the stick so this might be something I need to look into, because it is way to sensitive around the centre point when trying to AAR.

I don't know why the tanker does not perform correct radio calls before turns.

As they should make a radio call informing the turn, and then start the turn once they receive radio message to confirm previous.

Now the tanker just suddenly turns.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I am so sold on VR.

Welcome to the amazing VR.

VR was my cheat around air to air refueling. I could hold on to the tanker only with autopilot engaged but with VR, pure joy to do it without autopilot.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I am so sold on VR.

Yup. Depth perception is everything in hitting the tanker. As far as the Warthog stiction goes, I just recently received a 40cm extension and cable kit from a guy in the UK who sells a whole variety of Warthog extensions on Ebay. Hopefully gonna get a chance to try it out this weekend. I did a trial fit, and the stiction is pretty much eliminated by the extra weight, leverage, and longer throw provided by the extension. It seems to behave more like a real stick now, rather than immediately wanting to snap back to the center. Just have to work on remounting the Warthog base to my mobile control cart so I can get it all plugged in and try it out. :pilotfly:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I got a 15 cm extension, works a treat but requires unusual placement of the stick. Now AAR difficulties are solely the responsibility of the clown behind the stick, I’m getting there :-)

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I don't know why the tanker does not perform correct radio calls before turns.

As they should make a radio call informing the turn, and then start the turn once they receive radio message to confirm previous.

Now the tanker just suddenly turns.

Wait'll you start doing carrier landings. You turn on to final and say, dang I coulda swore there was a carrier *right there*

If it doesn't happen to take off in another direction, VR is really helpful. Even just being on the deck of the carrier is breathtaking

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I found dogfighting in VR to be such a great experience, it was so much easier to keep track of my target than using head tracking. Haven't tried air to air refuelling in VR yet - but that is high on the list of things to do (when my replacement headset arrives).

Oh boy, last week I received my Rift S and although having had little time to 'play', I'm so impressed by the immersion VR provides. Simply amazing.

The first couple of quick spins I did even induced mild dizziness and light motion sickness! However I was able to get used to this very quickly.

My most memorable experience so far is when I was practising vertical take-offs and landings in the Harrier. After some time I somehow messed up transition to vertical flight, resulting in an uncontrolled departure from flight; I was rapidly loosing height, nose pointing straight down from a few hundred feet. I was totally immersed and I swear I experienced that panicky feeling we all have had prior to some emerging danger or dangerous situation. I even leaned back in my chair, starting to raise my arms in front of my head, awaiting impact.

Only then I realized I was sitting in my chair behind the computer wearing some big, black goggles... Amazing.

Oh boy, last week I received my Rift S and although having had little time to 'play', I'm so impressed by the immersion VR provides. Simply amazing.

The first couple of quick spins I did even induced mild dizziness and light motion sickness! However I was able to get used to this very quickly.

My most memorable experience so far is when I was practising vertical take-offs and landings in the Harrier. After some time I somehow messed up transition to vertical flight, resulting in an uncontrolled departure from flight; I was rapidly loosing height, nose pointing straight down from a few hundred feet. I was totally immersed and I swear I experienced that panicky feeling we all have had prior to some emerging danger or dangerous situation. I even leaned back in my chair, starting to raise my arms in front of my head, awaiting impact.

Only then I realized I was sitting in my chair behind the computer wearing some big, black goggles... Amazing.

That is it. The experience is so unbelievably immersive.

I hope the devices are made to last because I cannot do anything else on my PC beside VR since I got it. It is always in use.

Have fun and welcome to vr.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset