Movable minimap

JG13Wulf

As we don't have GPS in warbirds, I think we really miss à minimap that can be moved.

F10 map is cool but you can't see anything and it's dangerous while flying in formation with the squadron.

Kneeboard are usefull but too restrictive.

Isn't it possible to have a map that can be moved with mouse clic and kneeboard size ?

That would be great for warbirds pilots.

Thanks.

EDIT : Copy of post 12

Here come a video from a well known ww2 flight simulation that is probably still the reference for ww2 combat simulation :

2001 and they understand in their first version it was the feature needed to navigate from one point to another.

Note the difference with kneeboard :

We can't move the map in kneeboard. So if you don't have a flightplan made on editor or if the flight get lost or if you must change your plan (because it's war) you get out the kneeboard and there is only fullscreen F10 map to navigate. That annoying.

I think it's needed to have this for warbirds pilot. I don't ask for navigation help. I'm asking for a map with nothing on it that I can freely watch without getting blind because it take fullscreen ...

So no, the answer "get the GPS" is not what I want.

Edited by JG13~Wulf
  • Like 1

I can hear the pitchforks on whetstones already :lol:

This is a great option for using modern navigation on older birds.

And torches being lit...:)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Not really historical so no ...

I'm here for the warbirds and to fly them in historical context. Not to add fancy GPS on them.

Then don't enable/use it.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

GPS gives you Alzheimer's

the kneeboard map and a compass is all I need.

• Like 1

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

buy NS430 and use popup in warbirds.

There you go you have your GPS based/NAV/COM system with a moving map, even if its a simple one lacking the color spectrum

• Like 1

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Guys, I don't want to have a GPS ! It's not historical to have this in warbirds.

I'm asking for a simple map like in F10 but not in full screen ! Just the size of the kneeboard !

Navigation is made with watch and details on the ground you can spot on the map !

It's a basic feature for warbirds simulator. So I'm going to fly one of them and make a video to show you.

Here come a video from a well known ww2 flight simulation that is probably still the reference for ww2 combat simulation :

2001 and they understand in their first version it was the feature needed to navigate from one point to another.

Note the difference with kneeboard :

We can't move the map in kneeboard. So if you don't have a flightplan made on editor or if the flight get lost or if you must change your plan (because it's war) you get out the kneeboard and there is only fullscreen F10 map to navigate. That annoying.

I think it's needed to have this for warbirds pilot. I don't ask for navigation help. I'm asking for a map with nothing on it that I can freely watch without getting blind because it take fullscreen ...

So no, the answer "get the GPS" is not what I want.

Should've call it a papar map to save us any confusion.

Basically the wish is to be able to control the kneeboard map by zoom and 4-dir which I'm all in for.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Should've call it a papar map to save us any confusion.

Basically the wish is to be able to control the kneeboard map by zoom and 4-dir which I'm all in for.

Sorry I'm not english. I modifiy the title ;)

Yes it's the idea.

• 2 years later...
10 hours ago, _SwiVet_ said:

I've seen this type of map you speak of in a spudknocker f86 tutorial, i believe it is a module (NS430) as mentioned above.

Maybe NS 430 do it but it's not what WW2 pilot are looking for : another module to pay to be able to play these plane. There is already too much to pay to have a limited and not great experience ... 😞

A knoeeboard size F10 map should be something that part of the free game but I'm more and more disapointed by what ED make for WW2. Like lot of feature, this might never happen and someday they will not understand why there is so few people flying WW2 on DCS ...

Aucune description disponible.

lol funny picture......I hear you tho a smaller map would be nice but ED are trying to keep everything as a pure simulator as possible, even tho the huge f10 map covering your screen isnt realistic......But at this point i'm glad to have it....Best thing is not use it in a dogfight at low altitudes....😅

⁼ЅϮгаίϱϦϮеϗ цр, ϜІу ГϊϱϦϮ⁼

15 hours ago, _SwiVet_ said:

lol funny picture......I hear you tho a smaller map would be nice but ED are trying to keep everything as a pure simulator as possible, even tho the huge f10 map covering your screen isnt realistic......But at this point i'm glad to have it....Best thing is not use it in a dogfight at low altitudes....😅

yes i'm glad to have this at least too.
But F10 cover all screen and happen to make a big lag when loading in and out for some people.

I think F10 map isn't realist too and a kneeboard size movable minimap would be the best way to simulate in a game because in reality, you can have the map partially open and you can look few second to it and then turn your head to not loose the horizon. 

The best way to simulate with 100% realism would be to have a real HD map to print (not a good solution as no WW2 is in a finished state).
Or to have an Ipad (or = ) to have the map next to you.
But for a computer game, developper must come with the idea everything should be doable inside the game. Not everyone want to buy or print to be able to play correctly.

Just for the fun about the realism, I ask for this in private month ago and here is the answer I get

"Usually use widest kneeboard and mark my position. I think of it as I'm a good navigator and mark the map with a crayon."

So yes it work but it make all the navigation fun out of the game. And it's even less realist. 😞

• Like 1