SAS engage on/off

NeMoGas

So I have noticed when I turn all SAS channels off there seems to be no difference in flight characteristics vs all SAS channels on. However I did notice that if I put the autopilot engage switch below the SAS channel switches on, it seems to change the characteristics.

This is with all the autopilot settings turned to off. It seems to damp the roll and also the pitch. I looked in the manual and the NATOPS, but it mentions nothing about this switch needing to be on for SAS to function.

So the question is, is this a bug or am I missing something here?

Edited by NeMoGas

When the autopilot engage switch is on the aircraft is in a sort of 'stick steering' mode. It's very useful. Not sure what the limits are though.

When you press the HOTAS autopilot button the autopilot reference light to the left of the ADI\TV display goes out and the aircraft follows the mode you set on the panel.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

with the Autopilot engages switch on, the jet goes into a kind of attitude hold mode. The limits are something like 60 deg nose up / nose down and same the same for angle of bank (could be wrong, as I am not looking at the documentation right now).

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

I discovered this as well from NATOPS. Just using engage switch puts the autopilot in an attitude hold state. Puzzling is it functions still after pilot stick input in contrary when a HDG or ALT mode is selected, the AP will disengage those modes and a pinky switch press is needed to reengage.

As far as the SAS goes, I’ve noticed there is a difference when I fly it. The controls are super sensitive almost where I find it difficult to control, especially the roll SAS. Also, if that’s the case then why would you disengage it for the fence-in? I can understand more control authority, but if you can’t control it very well then what’s the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Also, if that’s the case then why would you disengage it for the fence-in? I can understand more control authority, but if you can’t control it very well then what’s the point?

I heard that it becomes important at the edge of the flight envelope, e.g. very high AoA. In this regime, it can lead to unintended behaviour...

SAS engage on/off

I heard that it becomes important at the edge of the flight envelope, e.g. very high AoA. In this regime, it can lead to unintended behaviour...

Hmmm... that seems backwards to me. Even NATOPS says “all SAS switches should remain on in flight”.

Even under Flight Characteristics chapter for Roll SAS says....

“High AOA handling qualities are significantly improved by keeping ROLL SAS ON.”

Interestingly enough....

“Pitch SAS increases damping of the longitudinal, short- period dynamic response, but the aircraft can be operated safely throughout the flight envelope without it.”

Makes me wonder if turning the pitch SAS off is what was really intended and not roll SAS?

Edited by Eagle7907

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Not all NATOPS are equal, and for aircraft with multiple variants in service it should tell you which airframes are applicable to that volume. Are you perhaps reading the NATOPS for B model Tomcats with the Digital Flight Control System (DFCS) update?

Hmmm... that seems backwards to me. Even NATOPS says “all SAS switches should remain on in flight”.

Even under Flight Characteristics chapter for Roll SAS says....

“High AOA handling qualities are significantly improved by keeping ROLL SAS ON.”

Interestingly enough....

“Pitch SAS increases damping of the longitudinal, short- period dynamic response, but the aircraft can be operated safely throughout the flight envelope without it.”

Makes me wonder if turning the pitch SAS off is what was really intended and not roll SAS?

Your NATOPS is for a DFCS equipped jet. It was standard procedure to turn off roll SAS for high AOA flight since the SAS does not function properly in the AOA range where roll reversal occurs.

This is pretty standard for SAS equipped fighters like the F-4 phantom as well. Since most swept wing jets experience high AOA roll reversal the SAS functions become counterproductive at high AOA.

-Nick

I think I may have found my issue. It seems as if the F14 automatically trims itself out when the autopilot engage switch is turned on. Even with alt and heading hold off on the autopilot control panel.

Yeah, I always fly with autopilot turned on (even when dog fighting lol). In fact, engaging autopilot is one of the first things I do after takeoff. It help so much with the trim that there is really no need to fly with it off in any situation imo.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Your NATOPS is for a DFCS equipped jet. It was standard procedure to turn off roll SAS for high AOA flight since the SAS does not function properly in the AOA range where roll reversal occurs.

This is pretty standard for SAS equipped fighters like the F-4 phantom as well. Since most swept wing jets experience high AOA roll reversal the SAS functions become counterproductive at high AOA.

-Nick

Ah okay. I wasn’t aware there was a difference. That makes sense now and opens another can of worms regarding other things I’ve cited. What exactly does HB model so I can get the correct information?

Ah okay. I wasn’t aware there was a difference. That makes sense now and opens another can of worms regarding other things I’ve cited. What exactly does HB model so I can get the correct information?

The AFCS SAS system that was fitted to all F-14s (A/B/D) from introduction till 1998-2000 when the fleet was upgraded with DFCS starting with the F-14A models.

-Nick

I hit the paddle switch disconnect when I want full control of the bird, and it really is a different dance with only yaw sas on.

AP is excellent when on approach, it lightens pilot load, it’s essential in turbulence, and Case 3.

Other than that cruising with AP is a no brainer.