Yet another Weather Injector...

Hi Neon,

so the refresh.lua file can be found in C:\Users\<your_user>\Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\weather. This should be the default for all. I've now fixed the single station issue and added a SUCCSESSFULLY REFRESHED THE WEATHER! text line for you to see when the weather is refreshed (at launch and then every 30 minutes).

I've also added the fog feature linked to visibility METAR entries and testing showed it worked.

Hope it does for you too...

Hi Neon,

so the refresh.lua file can be found in C:\Users\<your_user>\Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\weather. This should be the default for all. I've now fixed the single station issue and added a SUCCSESSFULLY REFRESHED THE WEATHER! text line for you to see when the weather is refreshed (at launch and then every 30 minutes).

I've also added the fog feature linked to visibility METAR entries and testing showed it worked.

Hope it does for you too...

So from what I can tell it is pulling the correct info (also UGTB is not a very good weather station) but I cannot find the refresh.lua. I even made a DCS folder in the saved games (normally we use DCS.openbeta_server but in theory that should matter)

I checked everywhere Saved games, the dcs install, even AStoDCS folder and nothing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What do I do with the .wx file that is created by ASN?

I have absolutely no clue how this works. I mean, where does this little program find the weather that is created by Active Sky??

Thanks for any help!

Jozeff

Hi guys,

sorry for being silent so much time! It's been quite a start of year :D.

I've just uploaded a new version of the app with fixes and other added features over the last.

I see there is quite a lot of confusion of what it does, how it does it and how it's to be used.

First and foremost, DCS has the lowest grade weather implementation of any sim out there. This is not a bashing, I'm just stating a known fact. In FSX/P3D AS can place real life clouds where they actually are with the observed characteristics (localized precipitation, localized turbulence, localized temperature, etc.) and this makes it possible to actually have real life implementations of weather radars, flight dynamics because of weather, etc. BMS also has an extremily complex weather system that rivals even FSX/P3D's though it can't place single clouds.

DCS on the other hand can have just a METAR and very simplified winds aloft. Yes, the dynamic weather scenario is a step forward, but it is even more limited as METARs cannot be matched even if you put in the right air masses over airports. I've, at the request of one of the users, actually tried to create a dynamic scenario with a lot of clouds but low winds - like in an oclus front towards the anti-cyclone. Not possible! I've gone from one air mass to maximum but it seems that wind is directly linked to cloud coverage. So I could not create a thick stratus layer (low wind, overcast). The only thing that worked was cumulus broken or overcast with huge winds.

Nevertheless, I know ED is working on it and this will be one of the new features that I, for one, am most excited about.

Coming back to the app, it does not meddle with dynamic scenarios (yet) as I found them to be quite limited, though I haven't have time to go deeper into the lua files. It just adds static weather read from actual AS weather snapshot. It is a fast way of reading the METAR and winds aloft above the interest station and puts it all over the map. It now does this continuously every 30 minutes so if you have AS running it will update that refresh.lua weather file. However, it will not update the weather in your ongoing mission because you need to end it, re-read the refresh.lua and restart the mission. But my missions don't last more than 30 minutes to an hour, so one snapshot should be OK. I made the continuous refresh feature for online servers. I don't know lua (my app is C++) but I presume there are ways of re-reading the weather file every x minutes so these admins can put a script like that on their server to run every hour and update the weather.

Hope you like it, and thanks Neon (also sorry about this) for answering a lot of questions for me,

Adrian

What do I type if use ASN p3dv4?

If I want the weather of 2nd February, do I have to tell ASN to retrieve that weather and save a ASN file somewhere?? Should I run ASN while running your app?

I get an error.....this app cannot run on your computer.. I use windows 10

Tnx

Jozeff

Yeah,

my free AV also screamed. I just told it to not be so harsh with this app. I don't know what has to be included in the package for the AV to not freak out.

Anyway,it works if you force it to leave it alone.

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, achitan!

Worked great so far. However....The refresh.lua file is 2.2 Gb large!!!

The file starts building and building until its more than 2 Gb.... Strange

What is happening here?

Thanks for suggestions

Jozeff

Edited by jozeff

Oh...I have forgotten to clean up the older refresh string :(. To tell you the truth, I haven't really test it in a continuous run environment. I'd only shortened the 30 minute refresh rate to just 10 seconds to test it in a fast manner. But I only wanted to see a new METAR successfully read.

I'll make the changes and put a new version today (I'm GMT+2 w/ +1 for DST now).

Thank you very much for your input!

Adrian

Haha, great thanks!!!

I wandered why this file would be a million times its size .....

Notepad++ kept crashing haha

Can you specify a date also? Now I can only fill in a month and a year

Thanks

Jozeff

Hi jozeff,

the day and hour are filled from the METAR. You don't need to put those in...if you want to change them, just put in whatever you like in DCS. Month and year are not contained in a METAR. Everything else is :)

Adrian

LROP 081400Z 16005KT 130V210 CAVOK 19/M04 Q1026 NOSIG

LROP - station

081400Z - day and time (8th day in the month, 14:00Z = 14:00 UTC)

16005KT - wind information (from 160 deg. at 5 knots)

130V210 - additional wind info (variating direction from 130 deg. to 210 deg)

CAVOK - Clouds And Visibility OK

19/M04 - temperature and dew point (19 C, -4 C)

Q1026 - QNH pressure 1026 mb

NOSIG - NO SIGnificant changes in the next 2 hours

Thanks jozeff,

on thing I can't re-create is the expansion of the refresh.lua file. I've been running the app for 2 hours now with updates every second. I've also changed the ASN METARs during this test a few times. My file stays at 2 KB at it should...the only thing that changes is the time of change of the refresh.lua file. Are you sure that the refresh.lua in your C:\Users\<you>\Saved Games\DCS\MissionEditor\weather increases in size?

Thanks,

Adrian

That part is based in theory only at this point. We know that you can add things to a mission by having one mission load into it.

IE: you can make a mission file as a lua script and load it in a mission. So in THIERY you should be able to run a lua file in a mission that is actually just the updated weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a FYI I get a WEATHER SNAPSHOT NOT FOUND when I try to use it with Active Sky XP

P3D works fine for reading now.

But the same issue as before no refresh.lua

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adrian Chitan\AStoDCS>DCSWeatherInjector.exe P3D 4 2020 UGKO 4 M

UGKO 222330Z 23008KT 9000 -RA SCT028 OVC050 07/05 Q1018 R25/29//50 NOSIG

SUCCSESSFULLY REFRESHED THE WEATHER!

Thats what the program says

I found the issue. The program is only looking for the folder DCS in saved games not DCS.openbeta or DCS.openbetaserver. I ended up making a symbolic link to my DCS.openbeta folder called DCS and it works fine now.

Capture.thumb.PNG.9816e06fb07a89f95d51f2a5bfab53e3.PNG

Edited by Neon

Oh, I forgot to mention (didn't know it was actually different), I never used the beta version of DCS. And will never do :). I'm always on the latest stable version. Superb that you fixed the issue!

And a new version is out https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VaT5_C94gk9ig52yEABAiHaToV09ouVk. Sorry about this, I just found another "rare METAR event" in terms of the "///" triple slash at the end of a nebulosity part. This would screw up the temperature reading. Now it won't anymore.

Adrian