DCS World beginner tips please.

OldnSlow

Hi guys,

I am mature age (63). I have just started playing DCS World and would like to get proficient with the Su-25T. I have completed all the training missions to a reasonable standard and am not sure where to go next.

I attempted the first mission of the campaign (with all labels turned on) and when I saw the number of threats/targets I was totally overwhelmed and exited the game. Can you suggest any beginner missions or any way to ease into this sim?

I also have the A10C, would this aircraft be more suited to a beginner?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Welcome to the fold:D

Both planes are good - I find the A10c a great plane to fly and it is relatively easy to master the basics

Learning to use the Mission Editor is also good - you can then create your own missions to help learn different aspects and gradually increase the complexity of what you are facing

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hi, And welcome! I would say that if you can do all the training missions for the SU25-T, now is the time for either multiplayer or learning the mission editor. or join a squad. the A-10 is an awesome aircraft, however the systems are somewhat complicated. there are several excellent campaigns for it too

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would strongly endorse the A-10 as an excellent aircraft to learn on. I have been flying it for over 5 years, and find it robust and forgiving. Nevertheless, it is a capable aircraft that can carry out just about any role - except possibly air defence, although I have taken out the occasional unwary AD fighter with it. If you want to take it further, it is also a complex aircraft with a wide range of weapons available to it

It is definitely a ‘gentleman’s aircraft’. As for age, I become 76 next week and am still coping.

Can you suggest any beginner missions or any way to ease into this sim?

Welcome to the wonderful world of DCS, henceforth to be known as "how to spend most of your spare time" :D

I haven't flown the Su-25T campaign (and have only logged maybe two hours in the jet), but I think the campaign that comes with the aircraft is indeed pretty difficult; isn't it a full blown war scenario? That's not well suited for beginners.

There should be lots of single missions (main menu: MISSION) and quick start missions (main menu: INSTANT ACTION); some of those will be pretty difficult as well, but some would probably be a lot easier than the campaign.

Then there's the =1&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=29&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter"]User Files download section on digitalcombatsimulator.com where you can filter specifically for Su-25T single missions (or multiplayer, of course). These come from users and will vary a lot in quality and difficulty.

What really helps, in my opinion, is to use the Mission Editor in order to set up some very simple training missions for yourself. The ME seems very complicated at first glance, but there should be tons of tutorials on YouTube that offer a quick introduction. And placing a few ground targets plus your player controlled Su-25T is actually very simple and straightforward.

This way, you'll know exactly where to go and what to do, and you can set up all kinds of training tasks, like navigation, ground attack against fixed targets, ground attack against moving targets, threat evasion against AAA, threat evasion against SAMs, threat evasion against enemy aircraft, bad weather flying, and so on and so forth.

I also have the A10C, would this aircraft be more suited to a beginner?

Yes and no. The A-10C is muuuuch more complicated systems-wise. Personally, I've always found that to be a great reason to choose this aircraft over the Frogfoot. :)

The A-10C is by far my favorite module in DCS, and I'm still learning new stuff about the jet after hundreds and hundreds of hours in it - but that's learning in a positive way. :thumbup:

One very big upside for the A-10C is the immense amount of content for it. Some of the 3rd party campaigns are just excellent (I haven't flown all campaigns; they're probably all excellent). They won't have you fly in highly contested airspace. Instead, there will be very clear mission objectives. In order to achieve these, you need to know how to handle the jet, its avionics and its weapons, to quite a high degree of proficiency. I've always found this to be much more entertaining than a WW III type kill'em all scenario.

Whichever way you go, DCS is likely to offer you many hours of fun and entertainment, and loooooots of learning about aircraft and military aviation. :thumbup:

I'm another 76 year old. I fly the A-10C and it's a great plane. Pretty easy to fly but the systems do take some time to learn. Just do it one bite at a time.

I've never flown the SU-25T, so I can't compare. I think you'll enjoy the Warthog. I assume you have no interest in the fighter jets? How about the WW2 planes?

Buzz

Welcome to the DCS community! Lots of folks here willing to help out!

My best advice is this... don't try and learn everything at once, you can't. I've been playing for 8 months in a single plane (The F-18) and I've had fun the entire time learning how to fly, taking it bit by bit, I'm only just beginning to be a competent pilot in a combat situation. Don't consider yourself slow, just inexperienced in flying a combat jet. (Like the vast majority here, we do have some military and former military pilots here). I'm 34, my dad is 70 and an IFR pilot and says I pick things up much faster than him....it still took me months, and I know I have years ahead of me to become "good".

So, first rule of flying: Fly the Plane.

Learn the plane, learn some procedures and practice them. Etc.

The A-10 is a study level aircraft, so every button, switch and dial works. It's a change from the SU-25, but also adds a whole new level of immersion. It goes from being a plane game to a flight simulator when you have to flip the switches, wait for the APU to spin up, etc.

For practice, what I did was create "safe" training environments, slowly stepping up the skill level needed.

I used the quick mission generator, hit advanced, and turned AAA and SAM sites off for red force. I'd set enemy fighters to none when I first started too, this essentially gave me a massive target practice range where I could learn CCIP bombing, mavericks, etc, start learning to shoot AA missiles at enemy helicopters, and just...take it slow. And yes, I died in these missions, Turns out tanks still have mounted machine guns. They can still hit you. LOL

Eventually, I added in a couple enemy fighters. (Easy AI, then worked my way up).

Took me MUCH longer to finally beat SAM sites and harder enemy fighters. Honestly felt like anytime I saw an enemy fighter I was resigned to die. Same for SAM sites.

Youtube helped me immensely in learning some tactics for missile evasion, and how to fight back.

So my advice? Go slow, learn one thing at a time. What that one thing is being whatever strikes your fancy. I started just wanting to fly a fast plane at low levels. Didn't take long to hit that checkbox.

Then I wanted to drop bombs. Hence, quick mission 'safe' zones. That led to learning how to shoot missiles. Leading to air to air combat, leading to learning the Radar, then the RWR, etc etc.

I'd like to add that the A-10C has a pretty complicated HOTAS for managing all the systems, which quickly becomes frustrating to use with anything less than the actual Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog joystick and throttle duo.

Try reading Chuck’s guide to the aircraft and see what you think.

Skickat från min G8441 via Tapatalk

I'd like to add that the A-10C has a pretty complicated HOTAS for managing all the systems, which quickly becomes frustrating to use with anything less than the actual Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog joystick and throttle duo.

Try reading Chuck’s guide to the aircraft and see what you think.

Skickat från min G8441 via Tapatalk

Oh I didn't even think about control setup.

Yes, a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle at the minimum if you are going to fly the HOG. You need those HAT switches!

Welcome! I would say the A10C if you have it is your best bet. It's benign to fly and you can learn the systems at your leisure. If I could go back 10 years or so I would give the following advice:

1. Turn labels off and leave them off, It's easy to spot targets with them on but....If you ever fly online you'll be in for a shock as everyone has them turned off. Learning to spot targets and use the pod is all part of the fun!

2. Don't use simple radio, same reason as point one

3. Fly all the training missions and map your HOTAS buttons as you progress through the missions, as you need them.

4. Start flying the campaigns and single player missions and repeat them until you are proficient with all the systems and weapons you need.

5. Find a flying buddy who can help you and give tips as you fly.

6. DON'T get despondent, DCS is a study sim, the more you fly and challenge yourself, the easier it will become.

7. Get proficient with the mission editor and create your own training missions.

That is all.... ;)

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

Welcome! I would say the A10C if you have it is your best bet. It's benign to fly and you can learn the systems at your leisure. If I could go back 10 years or so I would give the following advice:

1. Turn labels off and leave them off, It's easy to spot targets with them on but....If you ever fly online you'll be in for a shock as everyone has them turned off. Learning to spot targets and use the pod is all part of the fun!

2. Don't use simple radio, same reason as point one

3. Fly all the training missions and map your HOTAS buttons as you progress through the missions, as you need them.

4. Start flying the campaigns and single player missions and repeat them until you are proficient with all the systems and weapons you need.

5. Find a flying buddy who can help you and give tips as you fly.

6. DON'T get despondent, DCS is a study sim, the more you fly and challenge yourself, the easier it will become.

7. Get proficient with the mission editor and create your own training missions.

That is all.... ;)

Good post. I'd only add that even if you don't fly online to keep all the aids turned off. More challenge, more fun.

Buzz

Thank you so much for all your replies with all the great advice.

I have started to use the mission editor and have created a mission with lots of benign targets (the same as the excellent Robert Sogomonian YouTube videos). I will also have a look at the quick mission creator.

It seems the watchword is "perseverance". I will continue to learn and hopefully become more proficient over time.

Cheers guys! :thumbup:

The first step is to not quit the game, there can be some offline prep, but most of the getting-used-to is not necessairly playing the tutorials but getting used to how the game works.

If you force it into tutorials you'll still be skipping many other things and you'll have to learn that later, if you prefer that way than fine, but I don't, I prefer more natural and slower approach.

The second step is to not play missions/tutorials at least a few weeks, take a whole month just learning the controls and random flying, it's about getting used to the simulator it self, that's going to help a lot when you get into training missions later, that kind of stuff can't be learned quick, at least for long term memory.

Training missions will not be enjoyable if you're rushing into them, IMO. Since you already completed them, and you were overwhelmed in the first campaign mission, I'm assuming you basically jumped straight in, there's no more tutorials, well there could be, but for the getting-used-to, there is none you have to do it manually.

Welcome to the fold:D

Not exactly how I would like to referr to the DCS Community ... it's not like ED is The Borg ... or similar.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Worrazen...........Definitions of Welcome to the Fold.

1. A fenced enclosure for domestic animals, especially sheep. 2. The sheep enclosed in such a pen. 3. A flock of sheep. 4. A church and its members. 5. Any group of people bound together by common beliefs and aims, or by mutual loyalty.

I'd say the DCS community fits right into #5

I think you took a cheap shot.

Buzz

I am a 71 yr old w/ maybe 8 months on DCS. Started w/ the P51 and then tried the A10c which was WAY over my head. No problem flying the plane, just the systems. Did a few tutorials and didn't know the meaning of a lot of the phrases. Then there was a sale on so I bought the FA18 because I really enjoy carrier landings. This is almost all I have flown for the last 4 months or so and still not great at the carrier but getting better. One thing I found that I really like is a slightly different screen setup. In Windows my screen is the common 1920x1080. In DCS I set it to 1920x1000. This way, while in the DCS game, I still have the bar across the bottom w/ the icons for Chrome, and File Explorer, etc. So when I have a question, I pause DCS, and go to either the web, or some text or pdf info I have downloaded and saved, get my answer, and un-pause DCS. BTW I use the VKB Gladiator stick because it is one of the few better quality sticks that also has twist for the rudder. I do use the Warthog throttle. I held off for a while because it's about $240, but it is a fantastic piece of equipment especially for the tiny throttle changes needed to do the carrier approaches. Maybe pedals some day but, for now, I don't see the value per $. BTW2, I fly the FA18 90% of the time but there are times I get frustrated so it's best to walk away. Then I flip over to the P51 and fly some of the instant action missions. Always fun to have unlimited ammo and blast the crap out of some tanks or troop carriers or take a transport out of the sky.

Edit to ad; One other upgrade that is absolutely worth the $ is TrackIR5. Getting rid of all the keyboard crap for changing you view makes the game 100% better.

Edited by CBStu

One thing I found that I really like is a slightly different screen setup. In Windows my screen is the common 1920x1080. In DCS I set it to 1920x1000. This way, while in the DCS game, I still have the bar across the bottom w/ the icons for Chrome, and File Explorer, etc. So when I have a question, I pause DCS, and go to either the web, or some text or pdf info I have downloaded and saved, get my answer, and un-pause DCS.

Quick hint: You can play DCS full screen in your monitor's native resolution (1920*1080 in your case) and use the key combo ALT+TAB to get out of DCS. Just make sure that you have at least one window open before starting DCS; that could be Chrome or Windows Explorer or anything else. Then ALT+TAB will take you to that other window, and from there you can search the web, and later return to DCS, which will then switch back to full screen.

I am a 71 yr old w/ maybe 8 months on DCS. Started w/ the P51 and then tried the A10c which was WAY over my head. No problem flying the plane, just the systems. Did a few tutorials and didn't know the meaning of a lot of the phrases. Then there was a sale on so I bought the FA18 because I really enjoy carrier landings. This is almost all I have flown for the last 4 months or so and still not great at the carrier but getting better. One thing I found that I really like is a slightly different screen setup. In Windows my screen is the common 1920x1080. In DCS I set it to 1920x1000. This way, while in the DCS game, I still have the bar across the bottom w/ the icons for Chrome, and File Explorer, etc. So when I have a question, I pause DCS, and go to either the web, or some text or pdf info I have downloaded and saved, get my answer, and un-pause DCS. BTW I use the VKB Gladiator stick because it is one of the few better quality sticks that also has twist for the rudder. I do use the Warthog throttle. I held off for a while because it's about $240, but it is a fantastic piece of equipment especially for the tiny throttle changes needed to do the carrier approaches. Maybe pedals some day but, for now, I don't see the value per $. BTW2, I fly the FA18 90% of the time but there are times I get frustrated so it's best to walk away. Then I flip over to the P51 and fly some of the instant action missions. Always fun to have unlimited ammo and blast the crap out of some tanks or troop carriers or take a transport out of the sky.

Edit to ad; One other upgrade that is absolutely worth the $ is TrackIR5. Getting rid of all the keyboard crap for changing you view makes the game 100% better.

There's an easier way than messing with your resolution. Try this.

Let's say you want to look at a manual while flying. It can be any PDF file. Bring up the manual before going into DCS. Leave up the manual and start DCS.

While in the cockpit. Pause the game. Then click on Left Alt and Tab at the same time. The PDF manual will pop up. When done reading you click anywhere on the cockpit and the manual will pop off the screen. LAlt-Tab and it's back. If you have the manual expanded then just minimize it and it will pop off.

This can also be done with going online while flying. Whatever you leave running will pop up when pressing LAlt-Tab while flying.

edit....Yurgon..I started my post before seeing yours. We think alike.

Buzz

edit....Yurgon..I started my post before seeing yours. We think alike.

Haha, yeah, but that reminds me of a fun story, and comes with a bit of a warning when ALT-TABing in multiplayer (when the game can not be paused by the clients).

There I was in an A-10C training flight with a trainee. He'd just completed an instrument approach to Creech AFB with go-around with me as chase. I was in the process of overtaking him and taking back the lead position when my right engine failed. I assumed this must have been a random failure. Unable to maintain altitude and already slow on speed, I decided to emergency jettison my stores and mentally prepared to land at Creech in order to get the jet repaired. As I checked the cockpit, I realized the right engine T-handle had been pulled - D'OH!

After selecting another PDF document on the second screen, when I clicked back into the DCS window I must have inadvertently clicked the right engine T-handle, but I didn't realize that until a few minutes later.

So, guys, if DCS doesn't have the focus and is running (not paused), be careful where you click in the DCS window, the first mouse click will already register. :thumbup: