New windows activation required for cpu change ?

Thinking of plugging in a 6700k or 7700k . Will a new Windows activation be required ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Windows has been using serial identification for awhile now. Essentially, when you activate windows it takes an inventory of the major hardware. So, if you wipe and reinstall on the same hardware typically activation is never required. However, when you change cpu, MOBO, or HD it typically will. The idea is to prevent the same copy of windows from being installed illegally on other machines.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

(Sigh) thanks !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Not sure about Windows 10, but in the past I don't believe swapping the CPU would trigger an activation. The verification hash they use was created using serials off of various parts together, like the Mobo, CPU, Video card, memory etc.. Pretty sure the MOBO would require reactivation but I don't believe a CPU by itself would.

If you try it, please report back what happens as this would be good information to know..

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

I do IT for a living ( not being an ass just letting you know where my information comes from ) I can tell you CPU does require activation. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.Vcw13.com

Asus Z270 Prime-A | i7-7700k | 32G Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 | EVGA RTX 2080ti | 2x 960 EVO M.2 in RAID 0 | 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog | Pimax 5K Plus

https://www.youtube.com/c/OverKillSims

I do IT for a living ( not being an ass just letting you know where my information comes from ) I can tell you CPU does require activation. :)

Yep, I do too, and I wasn't sure if it did or not.. (We don't do ANY CPU updates here in Manufacturing..)

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Yes and no.

I have changed board and CPU and neither windows nor DCS recognized it, but all parts were identical, just a stupid RMA. That was with a Z170 and 6700k setup like 2 years ago.

Usually, yes, touch the CPU and you have to reactivate, same for the motherboard.

Just sometimes, people get lucky and it swallows it without any hiccup.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks again-even if it is not what i want to hear :)

The Windows 10 Re-activation Trick

It’s pretty simple:

If necessary, change your Win 10 account to a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account

Upgrade, and tell Win 10 to re-activate

Change your Win 10 account back to a Local Account if you want

DONE!

Let’s break each step down with some extra details…

Step 1: Change your Windows 10 account to a Microsoft Account

UPDATE: Maybe not… Read this instead: VICTORY! Reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade

This just means that instead of logging in to Win 10 with a local account and password, you’ll be logging in to Windows using your online Microsoft account. That means you’ll need to either use your Microsoft online password to sign in to Windows (temporarily), or you can set up a 4-digit PIN code as the password.

The key here is that when you link your copy of Windows 10 to your online Microsoft account, they store your “activation key” so to speak. After your hardware upgrade, and because your copy of Windows 10 is linked to your online Microsoft account, you will be able to re-activate without reinstalling everything.

To switch to a Microsoft Account, just do the following:

Click Start (windows logo) and then click Settings. Click the Update & security item. On the next screen, click Activation in the left-hand column:

26 February 2017

You’ve upgraded to Windows 10. All is well.

But then one day, you decide to upgrade your motherboard, processor, and RAM…

With Windows 7, you didn’t have anything to worry about. Most likely, Windows would reactivate after your upgrade, and if it didn’t, an automated phone call to Microsoft was all it took to get back up and running.

But then came Windows 10: You now have a digital entitlement, which then changed to a digital license, which means… ??? Furthermore, until recently your ONLY option was to reinstall everything.

So how the heck do you reactivate Windows 10 after a major hardware upgrade?

The Basics

First of all, before you upgrade your puter, you should probably read my post from 2010 entitled Upgrade Your Motherboard Without Reinstalling your OS.

The simple trick in the above post still applies. In some cases, if you are also going to upgrade your graphics card, it’s a good idea to change the Display Adapter driver to the “Standard VGA” one, just in case.

Otherwise, it’s a piece of cake.

It’s pretty simple:

If necessary, change your Win 10 account to a Microsoft Account instead of a Local Account

DONE!

UPDATE: Maybe not… Read this instead: VICTORY! Reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade

This just means that instead of logging in to Win 10 with a local account and password, you’ll be logging in to Windows using your online Microsoft account. That means you’ll need to either use your Microsoft online password to sign in to Windows (temporarily), or you can set up a 4-digit PIN code as the password.

The key here is that when you link your copy of Windows 10 to your online Microsoft account, they store your “activation key” so to speak. After your hardware upgrade, and because your copy of Windows 10 is linked to your online Microsoft account, you will be able to re-activate without reinstalling everything.

Click Start (windows logo) and then click Settings. Click the Update & security item. On the next screen, click Activation in the left-hand column:

Then, you just click the Add an account link, and sign in to your online Microsoft Account:

26 February 2017

With Windows 7, you didn’t have anything to worry about. Most likely, Windows would reactivate after your upgrade, and if it didn’t, an automated phone call to Microsoft was all it took to get back up and running.

But then came Windows 10: You now have a digital entitlement, which then changed to a digital license, which means… ??? Furthermore, until recently your ONLY option was to reinstall everything.

The Basics

First of all, before you upgrade your puter, you should probably read my post from 2010 entitled Upgrade Your Motherboard Without Reinstalling your OS.

The simple trick in the above post still applies. In some cases, if you are also going to upgrade your graphics card, it’s a good idea to change the Display Adapter driver to the “Standard VGA” one, just in case.

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

Then, you just click the Add an account link, and sign in to your online Microsoft Account:

You’ll need to enter your Local Account password. From this point on, you’ll need to sign in to Windows itself using your Microsoft account password. You can change this later after your upgrade and re-activation is complete.

https://scottiestech.info/2017/02/26/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows-10/

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

26 February 2017

The Basics

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

26 February 2017

The Basics

It’s pretty simple:

DONE!

You’ll need to enter your Local Account password. From this point on, you’ll need to sign in to Windows itself using your Microsoft account password. You can change this later after your upgrade and re-activation is complete.

https://scottiestech.info/2017/02/26/upgrade-your-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows-10/

Thanks , guess i'll go ahead with a motherboard/cpu/cooler (and later , memory) change then .

This depends on whether your license for Windows 10 is OEM or Retail. OEM is linked to one computer. Retail, you can take with you to your new build but can only be activated on one PC at a time..i.e. if you activate it on a new build it will be deactivated for your old build. There are probably security measures in place to keep you from just activating it every time you sit down between two different computers.. so best to buy another license if you need to run two machines.

You can run command prompt and type "slmgr -dli" and press enter.. a window will pop up in windows stating either Retail or OEM.

Just to share personal experience - I upgraded my copy of win7 pro to win10 pro when the free upgrade was offered. My license for win10 is retail, I had no issue activating windows 10 when I upgraded from my i5 2500k to my 8700K beyond having to remember my microsoft account details.

I doubt you'll even have to download any new drivers or reinstall windows if all you're swapping out is your cpu and everything's up to date already. might have to "activate' again but if its a retail copy there should be no issue with that. I think it unlikely, as only one component of your build is changing. If all else fails, call microsoft and see if the customer service rep can see you just made a simple component change. Barring that, let the dent in your wallet be a lesson to you about ensuring the license key you buy for Win10 is retail.

If you do go with a new mobo yeah just plan on reinstalling windows lol.. i'd also download bare minimum sata/chipset/network drivers to a usb thumb drive or SSD/harddrive that isn't what you plan on using for your OS install, so you have no issues getting on the internet and downloading the rest.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

This depends on whether your license for Windows 10 is OEM or Retail. OEM is linked to one computer. Retail, you can take with you to your new build but can only be activated on one PC at a time..i.e. if you activate it on a new build it will be deactivated for your old build. There are probably security measures in place to keep you from just activating it every time you sit down between two different computers.. so best to buy another license if you need to run two machines.

You can run command prompt and type "slmgr -dli" and press enter.. a window will pop up in windows stating either Retail or OEM.

Just to share personal experience - I upgraded my copy of win7 pro to win10 pro when the free upgrade was offered. My license for win10 is retail, I had no issue activating windows 10 when I upgraded from my i5 2500k to my 8700K beyond having to remember my microsoft account details.

I doubt you'll even have to download any new drivers or reinstall windows if all you're swapping out is your cpu and everything's up to date already. might have to "activate' again but if its a retail copy there should be no issue with that. I think it unlikely, as only one component of your build is changing. If all else fails, call microsoft and see if the customer service rep can see you just made a simple component change. Barring that, let the dent in your wallet be a lesson to you about ensuring the license key you buy for Win10 is retail.

If you do go with a new mobo yeah just plan on reinstalling windows lol.. i'd also download bare minimum sata/chipset/network drivers to a usb thumb drive or SSD/harddrive that isn't what you plan on using for your OS install, so you have no issues getting on the internet and downloading the rest.

Thanks !

This differs from Nation to Nation.

Under german law, OEM = Reatil. We can use any one for any Computer.

I bought an 10 for 3,63€ two weeks ago on eBay and a 2019 Office Pro Plus for 16,67€ without ANY problem on activation.

No need to buy them for hundreds of dollars.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X