DCS-BIOS over RS485

Hansolo

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Anyway to use the other TX/RX (pin 19/18, 17/16, or 15/14) on a MEGA card instead of the TX/RX by defaut? (pin 0/1)

To use it has a SLAVE but I need the TX/RX pin 0/1 for a shield on this card.

Want to do this :

unknown.png?width=680&height=522

Thanks a lot!

[Edit] I found an alternative sketch how works with!

Edited by Roger01

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I am having a problem with using Megas as slaves when using a prototype shield in the DCS-BIOS RS485 network system. There is no activation of the Rx or Tx on the Arduino Mega slave if the shield is used. Without the shield it works as it should.

I am connecting to pins 0, 1, and 2 as I believe is correct, and the Max485 is receiving 5v and the VIN pin is receiving 12v. I have this working for another Mega slave without a shield.

I am using the Flightpanels branch of DCS-BIOS.

I would expect the shield to simply be a connection interface, but it stops the comms between the master and the slave. Anybody else have a similar problem? Or better still, a solution!

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

4 minutes ago, No1sonuk said:

Have you checked the wiring of the shield?

They only fail when used with RS485 network. If I use as a serial solo panel direct into a USB port, no problem…. 

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

bsd sig 2021.jpg

7 minutes ago, molevitch said:

They only fail when used with RS485 network. If I use as a serial solo panel direct into a USB port, no problem…. 

🤔🤔
Then I'd say you need to investigate how you're connecting the RS485 driver chip.

Having said that, what do you mean by "direct into a USB port"?  I didn't think the Mega could do that.

Which specific shield are you using?

Edited by No1sonuk

55 minutes ago, No1sonuk said:

🤔🤔
Then I'd say you need to investigate how you're connecting the RS485 driver chip.

Having said that, what do you mean by "direct into a USB port"?  I didn't think the Mega could do that.

Which specific shield are you using?

The Max487 chip is connected to a 4 pin connector, or rather to the 2 signal and 1 ground. The other from the 4pin is carrying 12v to the vin pin. On the other side of the max 3 wires to D0, D1 and D2, etc. as directed byHansolo. 

when I say “direct into a USB port”, I mean by a cable…

The shield is one I have used before, a Wingoneer off Amazon. 

What I am at a loss to explain is:
1. The shield works when a serial sketch is used, but not when a slave sketch is used.  
2. The RS485 network works when the max487 is connected to the Arduino with no shield, and the switch wires also. With the shield in place, the Rx and Tx diodes do not light up. Remove the shield, it all works. 

So right now I am contemplating dumping the shields in favour of wires soldered onto header pins connected directly to the Arduino.

i will take some pics and post later.

Edited by molevitch

bsd sig 2021.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

need help. made the master slave system 487 according to the drawing. if one NANO, then everything works. when more than one NANO, interference occurs. It looks like there are not enough resistors somewhere?

oshwlab.com/qrethus/arduino-nano-and-max487-chip-with-female-rj45-connector

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/19/2019 at 5:13 AM, Hansolo said:

5. The Arduino Mega must be used as Master as it has sufficient RX/TX ports. At least two sets of RX/TX are needed to run DCS-BIOS RS485 Master.

Regarding this, is the Arduino Mega a *HARD* requirement in code, or does it just happen to be suited due to the number of serial ports it has?

I assume 1 port is needed to speak to the host PC and then at least one extra to connect the transceiver to.

In some Arduinos the UNO for example, the USB is connected via a USB/Serial adapter to the solo UART on the chip so that naturally rules the UNO out.

The Leonardo has 1 port in addition to the dedicated USB/serial, sounds like for a single transceiver this should be valid.

The Pro Micro also has the dedicated USB/Serial interface + one additional UART - very compact and cheap to buy.

The FlightPanels arduino library now claims support for STM Blue Pill, that has 3 UARTs plus dedicated USB/Serial... ~ USD$5 shipped in single units i think?

Am prepared to do my own testing (when appropriate parts arrive) but wonder if someone closer to the code could clarify weather the Mega is essential, or just an ideal candidate.

R7 3800X - 32Gig RAM -- All SSD -- GTX1070 -- TM Warthog, MFG Crosswinds & TiR

• 2 weeks later...

Am prepared to do my own testing (when appropriate parts arrive) but wonder if someone closer to the code could clarify weather the Mega is essential, or just an ideal candidate.

Has there been any update to this?

also interested to identify suitable cards for this framework.

can someone from the DCS-BIOS team assist?
thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 11:11 AM, Roger01 said:

Hello, my slaves and master cards for exemple. I have othesr pcb like this with 12v led backlight controler but I don't use it :

IMG_20210529_100756_8.jpg?width=750&heig

IMG_20210529_100812_1.jpg?width=677&heig

IMG_20210529_100623_7.jpg?width=443&heig

Are you powering your MAX487's from 12v? Datasheet says absolute max is 12v and im a bit afraid to do this, is it working fine?

---

OT: Just thought i would throw in a little PSA here after pulling my har for over an hour. I had RS485 working intermittentently so i thought it was a hardware or DCS BIOS issue. Turns out - if you disconnect your COM port in DCS BIOS, it will not work properly until you reload DCS. So the procedure is to connect the Ardiunos to power, launch DCS BIOS and connect the com port, then load the flight in DCS and don't reconnect COM port while DCS is running, then it just started working according to instructions in this thread. Thanks a lot for posting this!

Edited by maciekish

I powered my 487s with 5V from the arduino regulators.

Connected to the 5V pin means it gets power no matter how you power the arduino.

As for connecting DCS-BIOS: I regularly connect and disconnect USB-connected arduinos with no issues while a mission is running. I use the Flightpanels fork.  I don't know if the connection problems are related to the Hub version.

• Thanks 1