Introduction Community Project OpenFlightSchool

kaltokri

I want to present our (Freddo & mine) community project OpenFlightSchool.de or short OFS

(please don't confound with ordo franciscanus saecularis which owns all ofs domains 🙂 ).

• Website: https://www.openflightschool.de/ (translation from german to english is still in progress)
  • Discord: https://discord.gg/rj5Xcd5
  • DCS-Server: Up to now 4 DCS-Server online (OpenBeta only).
    Different Missions, z.B. Rakus Training-Mission (but enhanced and stabilized. Sorry but briefing isn't translated yet).

We (Freddo a.k.a. Pelzfrosch and I) want to establish a virtual flight school following the example of JFS or JointOps.
It is a free virtual flight school which depends on eLearning, but we want to provide practical lessons and events, too.

We are providing also DCS servers (OpenBeta only) with trainig missions. Just search for OFS in the server browser (but briefing isn't translated yet).
At the moment you will find only basic courses designed for absolute beginners and stripped down to the most necessary.
But continuing courses are in preperation already. And later we want to create professional courses with real life procedures, too.

A lot of stuff is available in English already.
I'm from Germany and so it is easier for me to create content in my native language and even that takes all my free time.
We have some supporters for the german content and one very committed translator. But we hope to find more people for it in the future.

The eLearning software we are using is capable of multilanguge support.
I hope the english and german version can benefit from each other, by translation german courses to english and vice versa.

We need persons as trainer for practical lessons or supporting rookies.
Personally I enjoyed two flight schools in the past (JFS & JointOps) and I hope OFS will be a good successor.
So please leave a comment here or send me a PM if you are willing to help creating a great place for learning DCS and other flight sims. :pilotfly:

Best regards,
Kal

Edited by kaltokri
updated
  • Like 1

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Here some news:

• Simple Radio Standalone:
    We have installed a SRS server for our each DCS servers (OB & Stable). Auto-connect should work, but if it don't you find connection data on the dashboard on our OFS website after registration.
    Please enjoy. :)
  • We have announced OFS also on hoggit. Please do an upvote to ensure that as much people as possible read it!
  • The german DCS F-14 pilot basiccours:
    The simplified procedure are almost finished. But we still need to do the shut down of the systems. Then the missions, checklists and the cockpit.
    I don't know how much longer we will need, but we are working hard to finnish the course.
  • XPlane:
    Freddo is actively looking for people to help us build the XPlane area.
    If you can and want to help, please contact us.

Best regards,

kal

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

Hello, everybody,

here's the deepl translated news from the german project:

Presentation of the project in Steam:

I also introduced the project in Steam.

See https://steamcommunity.com/app/223750/discussions/3/1643167006282993337/

We will try to use all channels to make the project known.

We don't earn any money with it. We just want as many people as possible to know and use the OFS.

I would be very grateful for a few thumbs up in Steam.

Also more upvotes in hoggit would be great.

F-14 basic pilot course:

The procedures are now finished and the cockpit description is progressing well.

F-14 basic weapon course:

Gladius starts now with the weapon basic course, while I finish the basic course.

As soon as I've finished the basic course, I'll help it finish.

Discord further expanded:

Aza has expanded the Discord section. I think it's good and hope you like it.

More dates in planning:

The OFS meeting already takes place every Tuesday at 9 pm local german time.

There we will discuss what is new, what is still to be done and which open questions need to be clarified.

Anyone can participate in this Meeting!

Additionally we want to establish a regular date as a crawling group. This will be something like the Tuesday Night Noob by hoggit, but in German.

I.e. everyone can come by and ask questions. We try to answer them. But of course this is a bit more difficult with DCS,

by the number of modules and their simulation depth. Of course we can also fly together in that time. And later we will also do small practice missions. The date has not yet been fixed. Please contact us if you want to help somehow.

You can also give us your opinion!

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

Thank you Emmer.

News from the German OFS:

DCS F-14 basic course:

I'm still working on the cockpit overview. But it's getting slow.

I was slowed down by my new VAICOM PRO in German project.

And parallel I read the F-14 Guide from Gladius for correction.

DCS F-14 weapon basic course:

I hope Gladius soon finds time to start creating.

New meeting:

Next Tuesday 16.07.2019 we will hold the meeting 'crawling group' weekly from 20 - 21 o'clock.

It is meant for the following:

- Beginners can come by and ask questions about the OFS or a simulation game.

- We try to help if someone has problems:

- e.g. with take-offs or landings

- software or hardware, e.g. TrackIR, VR headsets, joysticks, etc.

- Depending on the situation, we practice a few simple things or fly a round or a small simple mission.

Just have a look and come to our TeamSpeak server.

Translated with http://www.DeepL.com/Translator

News from the German OFS:

DCS F-14 basic course:

The course is finished and will be corrected by several people. I hope to release it next week.

DCS A-10C weapon basic course:

I will now continue to work on the A-10C Basic Weapon Course and finish it.

First crawling group:

On Tuesday the 16.07.2019 from 20 - 21 o'clock was the first meeting 'crawling group'.

Pleasing was the high participation of 10 people. However, it was still a bit chaotic and haphazard.

We will consider a topic for next Tuesday. One possibility would be navigation.

But we also have to see if we can get some documents (like diagrams etc.) by then.

And we have to see how we can do the presentation. I'm thinking of a TeamViewer meeting. Or are there other good solutions? Suggestions for further topics are also welcome.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

We have already some very good volunteers for this project, but I hope to find 3-4 more. Come on, it will be fun.

We have restructured our Discord to include also english channels:

https://discord.gg/JTPT67r

Please feel free to join.

At the moments most of our members are from germany, but I hope this will change rapidly. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Gosling and I started to translate to content.

Open Flight School EN is coming!

But we need more people who help us with translation and content creation.

I hope to find some JointOps mates from the past joining us.

~S~ kal

• 1 month later...

Has it really been six weeks since my last posting with news?

Crazy as time flies. Sorry for the long break.

On the one hand some people were inactive during the summer holidays, but on the other hand a lot has happened within the project.

In the German part of OFS:

- The F-14 pilot basic course is finished and open to everyone. Please take a look and send feedback via PM to me.

- The following courses are being actively worked on:

- F-14 Basic Weapon Course

- F/A-18C Advanced Course

- Huey Basic Course

- The following courses are currently paused for various reasons:

- A-10C Basic Weapon Course.

- Mig-21bis Basic Course

- Su-33 Basic Course

- Ka-50 Basic Weapon Course

I would like to emphasize the basic course for the MB-339 Aermacchi. It is an Italian two-seater trainer which was developed as MOD and is available to all free of charge. This is of course a great thing for us as a flight school, because not everyone wants to buy a Yak-52 or L-39 "only" to learn to fly properly.

The course is almost finished.

In the English part of the OFS the translations run at full speed.

• 1 month later...

MB-339 basic course finished, F-16C basic course started and internal restructuring

We have finished the basic course for the MB-339. Many thanks to Brodo for the creation.

Gosling is already working on the English translation: https://www.openflightschool.de/course/view.php?id=139

Work on the F-16C basic course has begun. First parts have already been published in German and English.

https://www.openflightschool.de/course/view.php?id=141

I have started to extend the Su-25T trial course to a complete basic course. This will take some time, but the first new areas are already publicly available:

https://www.openflightschool.de/course/view.php?id=6

As the OFS team is growing, we have decided to change the organisation.

A core team of dedicated tutors and authors will push the creation of the extended courses forward.

The work on courses for IFR and ATC/GCI via LotAtc has started.

LotAtc is currently being actively tested. This also applies to DATIS (DCS World Automatic Terminal Information Service).

• 1 month later...

i would like to enroll in the f16 course and later theuh-1h course

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

i would like to enroll in the f16 course and later theuh-1h course

Hi BlacleyCole,

I'm sorry to inform you that we are still in the creation/translation process and are not able to accept students. :(

We are still searching for more people who are willing to create/translate the content and act as tutors. :helpsmilie:

Can you explain what you need someone to do I’m a pm to me

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

• 6 months later...

The MB-339 Basic Course is now available in German and English.

Brodo has created the course in German and Gosling has translated it into English.

Together they have created a detailed checklist and improved the course together.

I would like to thank them both for their work and commitment.

I think the result is great. Have a look yourself:

https://www.openflightschool.de/course/view.php?id=139

The MB-339 is a nice and free training aircraft for DCS.

The Italian Air Force even uses it to train their pilots:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4363940&postcount=627

• 2 years later...

A little update:

We are still around! The OFS recently had its 6th birthday 🙂 .

5 groups of A-10CII training and 11 (!) groups of F/A-18C training. Rough estimate we have 40 students in training now.

And that doesn't include the 1on1 training in WW2 through Knauf and the weekly F-14 & helicopter trainings.

Preparations for an F-16C course series are already underway in the background. But this will still take some time.

We have a hard time to find tutors for courses in EN.
The material is already translated and prepared.
I hope we find some volunteers soon.

If you are willing to teach people the A-10CII or F/A-18C with prepared slides (theory) and practical lessons, then don't hesitate to contact me!

We are also open to cooperation with virtual squadrons.

Hi kaltokri,

actually, I thought a german based squad that doesn't have too strict rules with Training and demanded times online might be something for me.

What are your usual hours for training and flights ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hi BitMaster,

we are a flight school and not a squad.

It depends on the aircraft you want to learn.

Yes, flight school, I got that right.

F/A-18, F-16, F-15E, Apache.

It's basically the lack of time that holds me back to study those systems in-depth by my own. Those days when I had that much time and patience are gone. That's where collective

learning with a teacher who knows what I lack is a good thing.

You know what the aircraft can do, you know what you need but where the heck is it buried, in which order do I push the knobs and dials and all that..

I have given up to know all modules I own so far that I can take them to combat, that wish will go the grave with me, haha.

I want to Focus on those 3 above, maybe include the Tomcat at a later stage.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

We have a waiting list for F/A-18C course series in German. If we reach 5 people we can start the next group (Number 12!).

F-16 will take some time for creation.

F-15E: No plans to create courses or trainings yet.

Apache: Every Tuesday is a Helicopter Training. Just chat with the rotor head guys in our Discord.

Hi CaptJackG,

sounds great. I've send you a pm.