Lining up a CCIP bombing run

Neutrino

What's the best way to line up a CCIP bombing run?

The tutorial has you entering a steep -60 degree dive from about 4000m when hitting a nav marker. At this point the targets are nearly directly below you therefore you cannot see them beause they are obstructed by your fuselage, you only know when to dive because of the nav marker.

In the absence of such a training marker, and ideally with labels off, how in a 'real' mission would you be able to set up a similar bombing run? How can you tell when you are at the right angle over the target?

Enter in a curved fashion, where you can look over the side. With the laser it’s pretty accurate so honestly as long as it doesn’t kill you it’s a good idea. The above tutorial profile works well for a heavily defended area where you can’t fly low.

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

In the absence of such a training marker, and ideally with labels off, how in a 'real' mission would you be able to set up a similar bombing run?

In reality with the Su-25A you would be in contact via radio to the ground troops you are supporting, so you know where they are. They would signal their location with flares or smoke grenades if they can't visually tell you their location.

And then they would inform you the enemy location on map or direction and distance from the visual mark (smoke grenade as example) and then what you are suppose to be looking at.

And you will not be flying at 4 km altitude, you would be at 1-2 km altitude ready to drop bombs.

You can do all the bomb dropping in CCIP at 15-30 degree diving depending your speed.

Of course you can try to do the bomb dropping from 4 km altitude but you are not going to be so accurate as the targeting system doesn't include wind correction, so your CIP is likely around 100 meter in various scenarios.

How can you tell when you are at the right angle over the target?

You look at your attitude instrument of course :-)

You see your angle right at it.

And you use your usual SI system simplicity to calculate the correct range based your altitude by using trigonometry.

In head you can calculate that if you are at 4000 meters and you need to dive in -60 degree angle, then you need to start your dive at 7000 meters range.

If you fly at 2000 meters, then at 30 degree dive you do it from 1200 meters.

If you learn the basic few angles and altitudes, you get quickly a feeling that you can visually gain and quickly get to the attack runs.

It is better not to follow the tutorials and guides literally, but actually just learn the method and then follow your gut feeling.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

You can do all the bomb dropping in CCIP at 15-30 degree diving depending your speed.

Of course you can try to do the bomb dropping from 4 km altitude but you are not going to be so accurate as the targeting system doesn't include wind correction, so your CIP is likely around 100 meter in various scenarios.

That seems counter intuitive, I'd have thought that bombing at a steeper angle would be _more_ accurate, you're releasing your bombs at a higher speed so they will be less effected by wind. If this weren't the case why would dive bombing ever have been a useful technique?

You look at your attitude instrument of course :-)

You see your angle right at it.

And you use your usual SI system simplicity to calculate the correct range based your altitude by using trigonometry.

I think I'm not explaining myself clearly. When you are approaching the target, flying straight and level at altitude 4km, you know where the target is but you can't see it because it's under your plane and you can't see through the fuselage, so looking at your attitude indicator doesn't tell you anything about your vertical angle to the target so you know when to dive.

Similarly what instrument gives you a precise measurement of your range to the target when you can't see it, to enable you to calculate the point at which to dive using trigonometry?

You can always go a snake like turn back and forth to keep your eyes on what’s straight ahead.

I believe dive bombing was most popular to increase accuracy with out any bombing aids, such as the laser rangefinder on our Sukhoi. It is still useful, but more often than not I find myself hugging the ground in the 25

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg