Why is the map always zoomed in?

Rhinozherous

Hello

this is just a small thing, but everytime I use it I ask myself, why?

When you activate the F10 map, why is it zoomed full in? This is the most useless zoom of a map. At least in DCS. Even full zoom out would be better. But why not just a medium zoom?

I dont want to be nitpicky, but when I use the F10 map I am mostly in a hurry (air2air, air2ground...) and dont need a full zoomed in map.

I just asked myself... why?

Thank you!

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

If you use VoiceAttack, It can default zoom your F10 view to whatever you like. Just a thought.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I think the default zoom is what the mission was saved with.. Mission builders don't think about zooming out when they save because they are usually zoomed in, working on details.

You can edit the mission and save it zoomed out if you want..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

Good call.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Tbh I find some missions where the map is actually zoomed out upon opening the map

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So how do you set it in the mission editor?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

So how do you set it in the mission editor?

Just set the actual zoom (your zoom!) with the scroll wheel before saving the mission

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

you can simply press the magnifier with the full screen map button and this will snap the zoom out to max.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I think the default zoom is what the mission was saved with.. Mission builders don't think about zooming out when they save because they are usually zoomed in, working on details.

You can edit the mission and save it zoomed out if you want..

Sent from my Moto Z Play using Tapatalk

Yeah this, I noticed this a long time ago, so now whatever starting F10 map zoom/location I want to use during the mission, I just move the view on the mission editor, save the mission with the camera in that position and then on mission when I hit F10 it'll start at the same zoom and position when I saved the mission.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Awesome, never knew that. Thanks chaps.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

• 2 years later...

while this maybe awesome for solo flights what about if you are in a MP server and the map is always zoomed and for others it fine.. what the go there??

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

1 hour ago, Targanon said:

while this maybe awesome for solo flights what about if you are in a MP server and the map is always zoomed and for others it fine.. what the go there??

Ask the server manager to re-save the mission with a more sensible zoom.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

...and why does this need a workaround to begin with instead of being fixed ages ago...

Modules so far: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Mirage F1, MiG-15bis, MiG-19P, MiG-21Bis, Mi-8, Ka-50 BS2/3, AH-64D, A-10C II, F-4E, F-14, F-15E, F-16C, F-86F, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Syria, NTTR

14 hours ago, NSAdonis85 said:

...and why does this need a workaround to begin with instead of being fixed ages ago...

11 minutes ago, Rebel28 said:

In multiplayer why doesn’t my setting of the map zoom save on the client side? It should.

Because multiplayer in DCS is… odd. In particular, the way missions are translated from their assumed SP environment to MP is odd in how it applies a lot of implicit and explicit settings in the mission editor. This is just another case of the ME storing local data from the mission-creator in the mission file and then applying them to clients because it doesn't quite know what else to do.

There's a very similar bug quirk where you can't not (yes, double negative) enforce settings in MP, but the mission editor makes it look like you can. In actuality, you're choosing between enforcing the difficulty and sim settings as set up in the mission options screen, or enforcing the difficulty and sim settings as set up on the mission creator's local system (because those systems are included in the .miz file along with various user data for no sane or sensible reason).

The map issue is most likely yet another case of the game assuming that the mission will be run in SP and that some settings will therefore be overwritten by the player's setup… but there is no such setup so it instead defaults back to something rather nonsensical that probably shouldn't be stored in the mission at all.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

• 3 weeks later...

I got it sorted now THanks for you r reply.. 

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane