TGP display question

TMS up

Question, I believe the F/A-18C's Left and right DDIs are only capable of a few colors, while I believe the AMPCD has full color..

I was wondering how the TGP will display on the DDIs. Would the image be completely green like the Optical Mavericks? Or would it be the traditional black & white? What about the AMPCD?

Thanks!

If your question is for LITENING pod, i think it will be black and white, like it was in good old A-10C. But I don't know about ATFLIR pod.

It'll be green on the DDIs i'dve thought, they can't do black and white. AMPCD is probably black and white, but I don't know.

Official video from Raytheon: https://youtu.be/KGEuNTzmYJQ

I really want to know when this video was made.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I dont know when the video is from.. BUT a few of the early pods was used in combat in afghanistan and later on in 2004 Deployments were extended to the legacy F/A-18C in mid-2004, and the pod is also fully compatible with the F/A-18A+/B+ models.

here is an article about it.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2006-12-12/proven-combat-raytheon-asq-228-gets-upgraded

I dont know when the video is from.. BUT a few of the early pods was used in combat in afghanistan and later on in 2004 Deployments were extended to the legacy F/A-18C in mid-2004, and the pod is also fully compatible with the F/A-18A+/B+ models.

here is an article about it.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2006-12-12/proven-combat-raytheon-asq-228-gets-upgraded

My comment was more due to the video having a very 90s, early 2000s vibe and it was funny, but thanks for the info. I didn't know that the ATFLIR was so late tech. The DCS Hornet has 2005 systems, so we're lucky on that.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

It's possible that video was made for a product upgrade or released because someone at Raytheon decided "they needed a social media presence" in 2012. I wouldn't assume it wasn't available until 2012 just because that's the date it was posted on youtube. According to a public release DTIC report, the ATFLIR pod program started circa 1998.

TGP will display as monochrome green only on all 3 displays regardless of Litening or ATFLIR. Some one posted recently that AMPCD uses the ddis display driver. So green on all.

Interesting, so regardless of WHOT or BLKHOT, it's pure green.

No, its not. Green image is much better.

The human eye is most sensitive in the "Green" part of the spectrum, same reason that NVG's came in green originally.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The human eye is most sensitive in the "Green" part of the spectrum, same reason that NVG's came in green originally.

and yet many avionics and software designers have decided to move away from the GReen in displays.

The F16C viper post CCIP uses White and blue formatting, and the Super Hornet since lot 25's DDI's exhibit all White instead of green. ( minus some minor stuff that was yellow or RED, or, green colors)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

and yet avionics and software designers have decided to move away from the GReen in displays.

The F16C viper post CCIP uses White and blue formatting, and the Super Hornet since lot 25's DDI's exhibit all White instead of green. ( minus some stuff that was yellow or RED colours which remains )

The point is in situations where you are limited to monochromatic its generally a good choice. If you have colors then that's generally a better way to go.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).