Joystick disaster...

markturner1960

So, having just got my force sensing base set up and working, Last night while doing a test flight using he BFM mission, my warthog joystick snapped off in my hand, at the narrow point where the screw collar meets the stick!!!

Does anyone know if there are replacement parts available for this moulding? Its made of that crappy kind of cast metal, not sure exactly what....

What am I looking at regarding replacement? although my warthog is fairly old, its not had loads of use, been sitting idle for most of the last 3 or 4 years while I had a hiatus from simming.....

I do have an F-18 grip ordered from TM, but meantime I am stickless....

Any suggestions?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

This is not uncommon. Thrustmaster Warthogs do break at this very spot. Actually, mine did as well (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=214094) . To me Thrustmaster Support offered to order only a complete new stick (w/o) base as minimal repair part for this issue. Quite pricey, and still lying in my Sim Room unused. :doh:

You might als check this thread and the corresponding shapeways site for parts.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160114

Edited by JaBoG32_Prinzartus

Windows 10, I7 8700k@5,15GHz, 32GB Ram, GTX1080, HOTAS Warthog, Oculus Rift CV1, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] ЯБоГ32_Принз

Fantastic, thanks guys, will order the part now......

Can you both confirm, that the part I need is this one: https://www.shapeways.com/product/M7GXUWE2B/thrustmaster-joystick-tailpiece-m?optionId=59123349

How easy is it to replace? Do I need the metal one do you think? Or are the nylon ones strong enough?

Thanks again

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I tried the Nylon one for the FSSB R3 and it's not strong enough - it doesn't break but there is a lot of flex. So I took steel.

I also took the 13° forward angle as I find that way more comfortable - my stick is mounted not on the desk but lower with a desk mount.

"[...] because, basically, in this day and age, if you get to the merge and no one's died - it's not good for anybody." - Keith 'Okie' Nance
"Nun siegt mal schön!" - Theodor Heuss, September 1958

"Nobody has any intention of building a wall." - Walter Ulbricht, June 1961
"Russia has no plans to invade either Ukraine or any other country.
" - Vladimir Chizhov, Russia's ambassador to the EU, January 2022

Better get the nylon version. The metal printed maybe has issue in treads, see in Debolestis topic.

Btw - are option for print with 13 degrees tilt forward, like real grip.

Not sure if available but Real Simulator show a F-16 grip in proper metal. Not that "jewlry" metal used by TM.

Edited by Sokol1_br

I ended up buying the 15°offset piece because I wanted the comfort with center stick flying.

Works great, needed some minor fitting and I sent a message to debelostis about my issues.

Other than that, the tailpiece works wonderfully. I couldn't recommend it more!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well my nylon bits arrived today, great service, however, I seem to have made myself another issue, I had to carefully cut a small cable tie, to un clip the wires from the base connection from the board and the scalpel slipped and I sliced through a small black cable on the bottom LH side of the PCB....

I am pretty pissed off, as I don't see any easy to get this fixed......its really thin and there does not appear to be any slack....

I was being so careful as well......

OK, will do so, but will describe as best I can......

If you split the grip, you will see there is a PCB in the middle of the unit. The connector wires for the plug in the base come up through the broken metal tube at the base, just at the end of the PCB. On the bottom of the PCB at the left is a connector point that has 2 wires going into it, one is black, this is the one I sliced through......

• 2 weeks later...

Well I just got a real simulator F-16 grip to go with my R3, so hopefully will be up and running with that fairly soon. meantime my broken warthog will gather dust unless I can get it mended anywhere......

anyone got any suggestions as to who might be able to do that?

Thanks