Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre

Flappie

Fantastic. Brilliant work!

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, chromium !

I've learnt how to write a MapServer "MapFile". I've been through the obvious error messages and got away with it, but I'm now having a hard time trying to display the vegetation layer. For an unexplained reason, MapServer rejects it.

Here's what my current work looks like :

mapserver-wip.png

The (ugly) map you see is dynamically created through a standard WMS request. I'll deal with the ugly raster later, because I really want that trees to show up first.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK, I wasn't motivated enough to resume my work on the MapServer thing. But some insisting user asked me for a vector data or too, so... here's the whole vector data! All of those are my work, except for the MGRS grids.

Please feel free to make maps with those vector files, as long as you don't make money out of it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QKpwuJUYSI99aILSHN-4fq5OdmWR08Zs?usp=sharing

• 2 weeks later...

I got two days off. Time to get back to my web service project. This morning, I was able to:

• see my map through OpenLayers,
  • use a specific projection (Web Mercator),
  • add labels

For now, I'm not able to display my sweet sweet shaded relief TIFF image, and I don't know why. But now that I'm aware of OpenLayers having its own Shaded Relief filter, I feel relieved. :pilotfly:

Here's where I'm at:

04a2a41eed6b62f38402dd315b63f316.md.png

Edited by Flappie

:v: Here, that's more like it.

Now I need to find a way to shorten the loading time of both the shaded relief layer and the isolines layer. I'll try to use tiling.

z2kc.png

Edited by Flappie

I found a way to optimize the shaded relief layer! I made a TMS out of it. It is now loading faster than the vector layers.

My next tasks are:

1. redo the TMS with a lesser min-zoom and a greater max-zoom

2. try to blend most of the vector layers with the TMS (urban areas, vegetation, water, rivers, isolines...) so it loads way faster

3. add a search engine (town name, coordinates, MGRS area...)

Then I'll try to find a way to host the map somewhere on the Internet.

Edited by Flappie

Like always, great work Flappie! Your map is such a great asset, thanks!!

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass, Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero, Intel i7 7700K @ 4.8, Corsair HX 1000i, Nzxt Kraken 62, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum, Nvme SSD Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb, Asus Strix OC 1080ti, Philips 43" 4K Monitor + 2 x Dell 24" U2414H, Warthog HOTAS, Track IR 5, Obutto R3volution, Buttkicker Gamer 2, MFG Crosswind pedals, Occulus Rift CV1, Windows 10 Pro.

• 1 month later...

I'm back! I was silent for quite a while because I'd encountered a lot of issues making my own webmap server. Today, I've fixed most of the issues. Expect a brand new tool in the weeks to come. :)

Nice, welcome back !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

• 4 weeks later...

Even if it's not featuring the radio beacons yet, here's a first version of the Caucasus webmap: http://dcsmaps.com/caucasus/openlayers

It lags a little from time to time, probably because I've chosen a cheap hosting offer.

Please tell me what you think about it. :)

Edited by Flappie

Only tested on my phone, but it's really looking promising!

Good job!

May I ask, is there a possibility to get access to the tile server URL or WMS/WMTS for it? I hope to be able to add it in the mobile maping tool I use, Oruxmaps.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

May I ask, is there a possibility to get access to the tile server URL or WMS/WMTS for it? I hope to be able to add it in the mobile maping tool I use, Oruxmaps.

The way the map is currently displayed is only half WMS. I used OpenLayers2, which is kind of old. I'm working on an OL6 layout, which will feature full WMS support. I hope it will be way faster.

The way the map is currently displayed is only half WMS. I used OpenLayers2, which is kind of old. I'm working on an OL6 layout, which will feature full WMS support. I hope it will be way faster.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

That's excellent, thanks Flappie !

Do you think that we can help with hosting ? Are there any fees on your side ?

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !