Accurate map for DCS 2.5 Caucasus theatre

Flappie

On 9/22/2022 at 7:46 AM, davidp57 said:

I love it ! Stop playing with your crayolas and set this up in my A-10 😉

I've just finished the 0.5M raster chart. I now begin working on the 0.25M raster chart, which is the most precise. I hope Quantum GIS won't crash when I ask it to render the whole 0.25 map. Previous versions were very prone to crash, which used to slow down my pace. We'll see.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

I have some more work to do: extend the Black Sea area a little bit to fit the interesting chunk of the biggest map (0.25M), find a way to avoid this nice little QGIS bug (I need to create 4 images, then stitch them together), create another PHP array script to generate the 0.25M map tiles...

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Good luck, friend !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Thanks! I was able to add the missing Black Sea bits, and I've just found an elegant way of rendering 4 images which stitch together flawlessly! 🥳 This means no more technical limitations.

• Like 1

Po po po ! Bravo !
Can't wait... Every day I fly in the dark (in my A10, AH64, where the maps in the systems are important).
Don't stop with Caucasus, Syria is nice too 😄

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

1 hour ago, Flappie said:

I still don't know which terrain to do next, but Syria will be done someday, that's for sure.

Yes Syria please. I did not know you were doing this. That's wonderful.

Edit: Sorry how can we install this to use as minimaps? I have scrolled whole pages but may be I have missed it.

Edited by Rapierarch
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rapierarch said:

Edit: Sorry how can we install this to use as minimaps? I have scrolled whole pages but may be I have missed it.

So far, my accurate Caucasus map is available in:

• CombatFlite (comes with the software)
  • Tacview (comes with the software)
  • DCS User Files as a GeoTIFF (use in Photoshop or GIMP or QGIS)

The kneeboard/ME mod is not there yet, but I'm working on it. 👍

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Flappie said:

The kneeboard/ME mod is not there yet, but I'm working on it. 👍

will ME integration allow us to use it as minimaps for moving map system in the modules?

Except nevada and south atlantic none of the maps have all useful scales. This renders doppler map of Hind utterly useless. I'm craving to have them 🙂

My raster map(s) will be seen:

• in the ME
  • in the automatic kneeboard pages (the ones with the flight path shown in violet)
  • and in aircraft MFCDs / moving maps

They won't show up in the Ka-50 ABRIS, since it uses the ME vector map.

Most DCS airplanes have access to the 0.5M raster (the yellow-orange-red map), which covers the whole terrain area. This raster shows a good precision compromise.

The Mi-24, on the other hand, only have access to the 1M raster (not so precise) and the 0.25M raster, which is the most precise raster we have for Caucasus. Unfortunately, this raster is limited to a previous DCS/LockOn extent, as can be seen here:

0.25.jpg

So far, I found no way of adding the missing tiles, and I'm not sure I can do it. I should ask devs about it. I'd be happy to complete the map if they let me do it.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 4

Thanks Flappie, interesting info as always !

Tell me if you need an alpha-beta-happy tester...

• Like 2

The 0.25M raster is so huge it gave me a hard time. I'm getting there... but I think I have a small offset issue... 😄 I guess it's just a matter of filenames.

offset.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the progress report; can't wait!

Again, tell me if I can help. I'm a programmer, I may be able to solve your filename problem ^^

9 hours ago, bingbean said:

Does the Mi-24P use this map for zoom in scale? If yes , is there a way how can i replace this incomplete useless piece of ××× , with another layer of map what covers all areas?

I answered the question here, and it's a no. But I asked devs to complete the incomplete 0.25M raster chart. Wait and see.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 2

I answered the question here, and it's a no. But I asked devs to complete the incomplete 0.25M raster chart. Wait and see.

O.k. thanks.  Then i ask different.  Can i use your map , to replace incomplete 0.25M raster chart default map?

If yes , how?

If no, can you ask the devs to use for Mi-24P complete 0.5M raster map until they finish the incomplete 0.25M raster map? I find the 0.5M pretty detailed.

42 minutes ago, BaD CrC said:

Hi Flappie! Don't forget the choppers! AH64 and Mi24 could use a true to DCS in cockpit map more than any FW! 

I have the chopper community in mind for this project. Whichi is why I added extra details (lighthouses, obsctacles height, stadiums...). I think you misinterpreted my answer. It's not that I don't want to do it. I say I cannot extend the current 0.25M raster chart coverage. Try to open this file, and you'll understand:

\DCS World\Mods\terrains\Caucasus\RasterCharts\rasterCharts.sup5

20 minutes ago, bingbean said:

O.k. thanks.  Then i ask different.  Can i use your map , to replace incomplete 0.25M raster chart default map?

Yes, and that's the whole point of this kneeboard mod project, but you won't gain much, since I can only replace a tile with another tile. I cannot add unexisting tiles. Unless someone finds a way to edit the "rasterCharts.sup5" file, of course.

22 minutes ago, bingbean said:

If no, can you ask the devs to use for Mi-24P complete 0.5M raster map until they finish the incomplete 0.25M raster map? I find the 0.5M pretty detailed.

The problem is that it would probably piss players who never fly over Caucasus. The issue does not come from the Hind module, it comes from the Caucasus terrain.

• Like 1

Hey! Here's the first version of my Caucasus raster chart mod: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmalAqGbEduugvh54thylKRVLfeyiw?e=r6DdgT

1. Download zip.
  2. Unzip into "/DCS World/" or "/DCS World OpenBeta/" (core game files). Accept overwrite.
  3. Enjoy.

Raster charts are seen in the mission editor, in the kneeboard and in your aircraft MFDs/moving map system.

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Hey! Here's the first version of my Caucasus raster chart mod: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmalAqGbEduugvh54thylKRVLfeyiw?e=r6DdgT

1. Download zip.
  2. Unzip into "/DCS World/" or "/DCS World OpenBeta/" (core game files). Accept overwrite.
  3. Enjoy.

Raster charts are seen in the mission editor, in the kneeboard and in your aircraft MFDs/moving map system.

Thanks Flappie! Does this version include the missing 0.25M charts? Did you get any response from the dev's?

Edited by Rapierarch