AMPCD

Nospin44

Was watching the fighter pilot podcast earlier today where they comment on a Hornet startup video. They noted it to be around Lot 14 F/A-18C and it had monochrome DDIs like ours but the HSI on the AMPCD was white in black. Was this Lot specific?

• 2 weeks later...

Probably. Seen some super hornets with BW ampcd

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Do you mean BW specifically, or non-colour non-map AMPCD? For the latter you can click Mode (if I remember correctly) on the left side (OSB 18 I think) and it should change from a moving map to HSI on black background on our Hornet in DCS. For the former, don't think it's implemented. Although I believe someone mentioned something about changing the font colour through a .lua file, not sure if anyone else might recall this?

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Do you mean BW specifically, or non-colour non-map AMPCD? For the latter you can click Mode (if I remember correctly) on the left side (OSB 18 I think) and it should change from a moving map to HSI on black background on our Hornet in DCS. For the former, don't think it's implemented. Although I believe someone mentioned something about changing the font colour through a .lua file, not sure if anyone else might recall this?
You can change the font color to white, but this also affects the friendly HAFU color, changes it to white as well. Seems that while hostile and unknown HAFU's have their own color, the friendly HAFU just has the AMPCD font color.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

I mean specifically white and black hsi when the moving map is hidden.

Was watching the fighter pilot podcast earlier today where they comment on a Hornet startup video. They noted it to be around Lot 14 F/A-18C and it had monochrome DDIs like ours but the HSI on the AMPCD was white in black. Was this Lot specific?

The MPCD in that video was in full color. Just like in DCS. Check out 10:15 in the original video (not sure of the timestamp in the FPP video).

Edited by G B

• 6 months later...

yea in many instances AMPCD in F/A18C's seems to have white font color as opposed to green

jibJsgV.png

given one can find references of green font, this perhaps would mean that font colour can be changed based on preference?

2fvArqD.png

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Just as an aside, nobody IRL (at least in the US) calls it an AMPCD. Everybody says MPCD.

i know its called that interchangeably but people use the term AMPCD to avoid confusing with preceding MPCD which is an older color capable (CRT as opposed to LCD) display that debuted with F/A18C Lot12 Night attack.

similarly if you want to play semantics... one could argue endlessly why in the super Hornet Left and right displays are still called DDI's and lower Center display is still call an MPCD, when all displays can be considered "digtal display Indicators" or especially in the case of the present day super Hornets, "multipurpose Colour Displays" as all are capable of multipurpose use and of displaying colors.

AS is the air forces term multi function display is instead used, but honestly mulifunction = multipurpose. They are different words but basically convey same meaning. Besides being proffered selected terminology for a given service its all just semantics.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Does anyone know if our Hornet can display the map in monochrome on the left/right DDI?

Yes that is a noted capability. It will remain to be seen if ED will simulate that.

Edit:

From a totally different thread that this image was posted but in this image is something that resembles an Island shape on the A2A search radar, with what looks to be a 7th waypoint ( Some additional sensor fusion?)

Not sure if it is indeed what it looks like though, but that look like a monochrome map, that is for some reason displayed on the A2A Radar page

FS251B5.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

i know its called that interchangeably but people use the term AMPCD to avoid confusing with preceding MPCD which is an older color capable (CRT as opposed to LCD) display that debuted with F/A18C Lot12 Night attack.

similarly if you want to play semantics... one could argue endlessly why in the super Hornet Left and right displays are still called DDI's and lower Center display is still call an MPCD, when all displays can be considered "digtal display Indicators" or especially in the case of the present day super Hornets, "multipurpose Colour Displays" as all are capable of multipurpose use and of displaying colors.

AS is the air forces term multi function display is instead used, but honestly mulifunction = multipurpose. They are different words but basically convey same meaning. Besides being proffered selected terminology for a given service its all just semantics.

Not trying to play semantics. Everyone in practice called it MPCD every time, regardless of lot. I flew A-F, lot 8 through 38, in USMC and USN squadrons. Never heard anyone say the word “AMPCD” out loud once, regardless of what’s in NATOPS.

Agree with your point about DDIs. Just the way it is I suppose.

Yes that is a noted capability. It will remain to be seen if ED will simulate that.

Edit:

From a totally different thread that this image was posted but in this image is something that resembles an Island shape on the A2A search radar, with what looks to be a 7th waypoint ( Some additional sensor fusion?)

Not sure if it is indeed what it looks like though, but that look like a monochrome map, that is for some reason displayed on the A2A Radar page

FS251B5.jpg

Thats not a map. The display is getting ready to crap out, but hasn't done it enough for it not to still be usable.

Thats not a map. The display is getting ready to crap out, but hasn't done it enough for it not to still be usable.

ahh i see

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Hi got pissed off at not being able to lock-up that one bogie and punched the screen :P

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for that, but i knew it.

My Question is about how to change that map!

Depending on the format i may be able to draw my ACO on it and then load it on the ampcd. So i won't use routing to draw my faor and so on...

You can't change the moving map easily. You'd have to go into the terrain files and replace all of the charts, for each zoom level. And there are a lot of them.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro