Realistic flight controls

Is there such a thing as 'affordable' flight controls based on actual US fighter control sticks? Currently, I am looking mostly at the Saitek X5x HOTAS systems. I also know that Thrustmasters top-line HOTAS setup has the A-10 & F-18 options.

I wanted to know if there were other alternatives to investigate. I am sure this is a common question, but I couldn't find a thread that addressed this specific question.

Thank You!!!

AMD 1700X @ 3.9 GHz, OC'd Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 ti Windforce 4G, Oculus Rift CV1, OC'd G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666 C15 2x8GB, MSI x370 Gaming Plus

Good question. I was thinking less than $200 would be 'affordable'.

Thanks!

AMD 1700X @ 3.9 GHz, OC'd Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 ti Windforce 4G, Oculus Rift CV1, OC'd G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666 C15 2x8GB, MSI x370 Gaming Plus

Best option under $200 is prolly t1600 . I don't know if it is modeled after anything , and have no personal experience with it , but those that own it seem to like it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If we were to bump up the $500 range, does that change the options available? Also, I don’t have an issue with quality, gently used hardware.

If we were to bump up the $500 range, does that change the options available? Also, I don’t have an issue with quality, gently used hardware.

If you're willing to spend that much just get a TM HOTAS Warthog.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

That next you a Thrustmaster Warthog, modeled after the A10 Warthog stick and throttle.

There are minor changes, but most would say worth it. (The F-16 uses the same stick as the A10, so that's a bonus!)

Ah, okay that crossover makes sense.

In the end I’m just trying to get a better ideas of who sells realistic or replica flight controls from real fighters, outside of Saitek, Thrustmaster an the other two companies that have their own threads.

The TM Warthog HOTAS was just on sale for $300 a few days ago at Walmart. Of course this incredible deal is no longer available now but you can see this type of deal off and on.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Ah, okay that crossover makes sense.

In the end I’m just trying to get a better ideas of who sells realistic or replica flight controls from real fighters, outside of Saitek, Thrustmaster an the other two companies that have their own threads.

The only realistic flight controller that's a mainstream consumer item is the Warthog. The others are limited production and pretty expensive.

There are other options if you are any good at DIY, but not everyone is - or wants to make or adapt their own stick and throttle.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

Best option under $200 is prolly t1600 . I don't know if it is modeled after anything , and have no personal experience with it , but those that own it seem to like it .

I vote for VKB Gladiator Mk.II (grip "inspired" KG-12A Luftwaffe ) plus Tm TCWS throttle (somewhat F-18 "inspired - then 50% of "based on US fighter" premised is fulfilled :D) as sub $200 HOTAS.

An plus of Gladiator Mk.II over T.16000M use contacless sensor (MaRS) in twist axis, instead cheap potentiometer.

Good points ! I personally find the use of twist-grip rudder controls abhorrent , but clearly some prefer it .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I’d be interested in something that is DIY. Are there companies who make plans, or something like that? Just getting into DCS, but have lots of experience with iRacing, so am more familiar with the DIY opportunities in they area.

• ED Team

I have a DIY helicopter collective, and a real set of rudder pedals from a jet provost that I converted. It can be a lot of fun to make your own if you can acquire the hardware at a reasonable price.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

I’d be interested in something that is DIY. Are there companies who make plans, or something like that? Just getting into DCS, but have lots of experience with iRacing, so am more familiar with the DIY opportunities in they area.

Not as far as I know, which is why I'm hoping to start offering 3D printable models of various items of cockpit hardware very soon.

I have a stick grip design finished - suitable for third generation and earlier jets - and I'm in the process of making sure it's ergonomic, goes together properly and is durable.

I'll probably sell the 3D models, with comprehensive instructions, for about 20 Euros.

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

On used Hotas, the Thrustmaster Cougar is modeled after the F-16 stick .. I've seen very well kept samples being sold here on these Forums.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

On used Hotas, the Thrustmaster Cougar is modeled after the F-16 stick .. I've seen very well kept samples being sold here on these Forums.

The Cougar is NOT a good stick to recommend, especially used. The gimbals and pots in the cougar are pretty terrible and wear out extremely quickly. The only good thing about the Cougar is the Throttle grip and the possibility to do a FSSB Conversion on the stick. The Warthog is a MUCH better stick to get if you actually want something that will last a reasonable time. I say this as somebody who owns 2x Cougars and 2x Warthogs plus lots of other sticks.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

That may be so. But for somebody who is getting into Flight sim / DCS and just wants something that works out of the box and doesn’t need more money spent on it with new gimbal parts and hall sensor conversions etc then the Warthog is a very sensible choice. I’m all for continuing the life of old Cougar sticks (I’m in the process of upgrading my Cougar throttle before the F-16 comes out) but I wouldn’t recommend one to somebody new to DCS and is looking for something that just works

Proud owner of:

Yes, you are right in say that Cougar is nor advisable for one what just want "plug and play" - despite all "fuzzi-uzi" about in their heydays.

But since OP talk in DIY, depends on price he get a Cougar - that meet their premise of being based in USAF, is and good option for DIY upgrade.

DIY an grip, even with 3D Printer probable will ending costing more than buy an Warthog grip ( ~$120 time ago).

The Cougar is NOT a good stick to recommend, especially used. The gimbals and pots in the cougar are pretty terrible and wear out extremely quickly.

Mine was purchased new on early 2003 ... and I still use it as my main Hotas, so for a pretty terrible hardware it has actually given me many flight hours of service :)

... of course, over its more than 15 years of service it has needed repairs, and I've changed both gimbals once and the pots are now magnetoresistive units that are very precise and should last many years.

Anyway, the OP was asking about units modelled after the real thing .. and the Cougar fits the bill on that aspect.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 1 month later...

Any opinions on whether the Suncom F-15 sticks and/or throttle are worth looking at purchasing and possibly upgrading. Ideally, I would like an F-18 grip, but it’s my understanding the F-15 is very similar.

Thank you all for the feedback, thus far!

Looks like the throttle is modeled on the F18. Perhaps close enough for the $.

The radar elev and the TDC slew/depress work, I'll give it that.

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Any opinions on whether the Suncom F-15 sticks and/or throttle are worth looking at purchasing and possibly upgrading. Ideally, I would like an F-18 grip, but it’s my understanding the F-15 is very similar.

If you have a Warthog or Virpil base, buy the F-18 AddOn grip.

Suncom SFS throttle is easy for modernize for USB, that can be done with cheap ~$6 Arduino PRO micro and few welding.

Suncom F-15 joystick should be the same, but from practical point of view is practically impossible to use with sensor that not their original proprietary format potentiometer, due their "oscillatory disc" gimbal. Since their pot's are too old good change that worm out and so gimbal useless.

So rest the "F-15" grip that can be adapted for use in bases like Warthog and Virpil, need change the interior wiring.

Edited by Sokol1_br