More new guy questions please

John Galt

Preparing to jump in when the F16 is released and I get a new computer, so question one, if I install DCS World on a computer create a log in and account and purchase a plane or campaign etc but not install it on that computer. Later, with a new machine after downloading DCS and logging in, can I still access my purchase after say 3 months and install on that computer? ( I want to take advantage of summer sales ) Question two, can you play multiplayer with wifi?

Thanks for any help.

Not 100% clear on what you are asking. But from a steam perspecive (since thats what I use)

If you buy it on steam now (or pre-order it) it will be available in 3 months, or 3 years. As I understand it You do get a limited number of "reinsatalls" on new systems (like 10). And you can recover some of them if you uninstall it on the old machine. If its on the same system you can re-install as much as you want (it tracks major hardware changes to determine "new system"). I'd assume the ED store is pretty similar.

There is multiplayer. And yes you can use wifi, though latency and other things tend to be better over wired connections (based on my laptop being wifi from 3ft away and my new rig being hard wired).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

If you don't install the module then yes. If you do install it and then buy a new computer, you have to follow a procedure first regarding the license, on your old computer (not sure how to properly uninstall the license, search the forums, it's mentioned a few times I think).

And yes. Wifi is possible. Wire always better tho, as Harlikwin said.

If you don't install the module then yes. If you do install it and then buy a new computer, you have to follow a procedure first regarding the license, on your old computer (not sure how to properly uninstall the license, search the forums, it's mentioned a few times I think).

And yes. Wifi is possible. Wire always better tho, as Harlikwin said.

I’m not sure if things changed but you should be able to install each purchased module on multiple computers on a single account but you can’t play that account on two computers simultaneously online.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Yeah I'm pretty sure they changed the licensing scheme from the old "limited number of activation's".

I'm pretty sure now you just log in to DCS and whatever your login has access to you get. <-- period

That said...

I do recommend that you just purchase through the DCS shop as opposed to Steam. ED gets more of your money, It's more mobile on your PC (moving from one HDD to another without having Steam move it for you), updates and new modules tend to come out a short time sooner, You can do the Open Beta version (maybe you can on steam too...). In any case... the big thing is to get more of your money to ED and not Steam. Steam has plenty :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Guys, DCS has been (almost) keyless for quite some time now. There are only a handful of old modules still using the old Starforce DRM and its 10 activations thing.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

There are only a handful of old modules still using the old Starforce DRM and its 10 activations thing.

To be precise, the A-10C, Blackshark 2 and Flamming Cliffs 3, still use Star Force ... strangely, the individual FC3 planes (A-10A, F-15, Su-27, Su-33 and Su-25A) are already keyless, which seems odd.

All campaigns and all Maps are also keyless.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Never had problems with the StarForce activations anyway. Never deactivated any module, had some of them activated several times due to hardware changes, but I still have enough activations left. Apart from that, when they're down low, they'll replenish once in 3 months or so, basically you wouldn't run out of them if you bought a new rig 4 times a year. And in the very case you'd be down to zero, just contact the ED support, might even be necessary to contact StarForce, but AFAIK they'll help out in such cases. So nothing to be afraid of.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Also, check module prices on Steam vs. ED direct, some of them are substantially less $$ on the ED site and they are NOT Steam compatible. I like that Steam is easy to set up/buy modules and it auto-updates but consider costs as you can not use direct ED purchased modules in a Steam version of DCS (since 2017 I believe).. For me, as I didn't know about the "stop compatibility date cutoff" it's not a choice anymore.

Edited by GaryR

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Preparing to jump in when the F16 is released and I get a new computer, so question one, if I install DCS World on a computer create a log in and account and purchase a plane or campaign etc but not install it on that computer. Later, with a new machine after downloading DCS and logging in, can I still access my purchase after say 3 months and install on that computer? ( I want to take advantage of summer sales ) Question two, can you play multiplayer with wifi?

Thanks for any help.

yes you can in both questions

however make sure you have good internet speed with wi-fi at least 5-8mbps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

Thanks Gary and Eldur good info and especially the price difference, not something a new player would know.

Yeah, starting out you need to decide cause once you start buying planes/terrains/modules whichever way you go thats the way your stuck with (unless you have a few wheelbarrows of cash laying around to buy two of everything!).. and look into VoiceAttack and Viacom Pro, cost about $20 all in and looks to be a great way to get things done while flying.. I have a hard time remembering the 20,000 KB commands.

Edited by GaryR

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR