Moving DCS World and Modules To A New PC

I have just ordered the bits to construct a new PC as my old rig is getting on for five years old now. So far so good.

The fly in the ointment is the fact that I have a shockingly slow rural internet connection and we are too far from the main infrastructure to get better. I manage a giddy two and change, megabits a second on a good day.

Since I have most of the modules DCS has to offer, downloading this amount of data takes well over a week, night and day.

I have an SSD on my old PC purely for DCS. Is there any way at all of using the bulk data on that drive and avoid a humongous amount of downloading?

I have plenty of activations left and intend to keep the old PC in a pretty much workable state as a backup. Maybe even buy a dual licence for the tomcat and give backseat rides using my old Rift.

• Like 1

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

The way I would do it - TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Deactivate all modules.

Download the installer to the new machine and run it.

When it gets to the stage of downloading the bulk, stop it.

Now copy over everything onto the new machine over that new install you started but stopped. (you can move your saved games folder but you may want to just let DCS create a new one. Your controllers will be screwed but that's unavoidable due to device addressing.)

Run it and activate modules.

Any issues, run repair.

Good luck

I have just ordered the bits to construct a new PC ...

I have an SSD on my old PC purely for DCS. Is there any way at all of using the bulk data on that drive and avoid a humongous amount of downloading?

The easiest way, is to take that SSD with DCS on it and connect it onto your new rig using a Sata cable and then start the new PC and copy the whole /Eagle Dynamics/ folder onto the SSD of your new rig. After the copy finishes, you can return the SSD to your old rig.

Also, you should copy your /Saved Games/DCS/ folder, to keep your current DCS preferences, logbook and campaign status.

I have plenty of activations left and intend to keep the old PC in a pretty much workable state as a backup.

OK, but be aware that every time you run DCS again on your old Rig, you will confuse the DCS protection system and use up a star force activation, as it will act like if it was copied onto another computer ... this will happen each time, so it is pretty easy to exhaust all your activations if you go back and forth between the two machines, so be careful there.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I just bought the A10c and plan to change cpu next week. Does that mean if i run out of activations at some point I will have to buy this module again ?!!

Is the activation linked to the cpu or the motherboard or the SSD? Damn if i knew that I would have bought it steam

I just bought the A10c and plan to change cpu next week. Does that mean if i run out of activations at some point I will have to buy this module again ?!!

On the /Doc folder of DCS there is a Guide about how the Activation works.

Is the activation linked to the cpu or the motherboard or the SSD? Damn if i knew that I would have bought it steam

The A-10C uses the same copy protection system (star force) on both ED store and Steam.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Ah ok thanks Rudel, i've just read that doc so basically since i activated it yesterday I only have 9 left and when i change my cpu this week, i need to deactivate and reactivate and it will not screw me of one more activation.

I really hope so. I really hate this kind of DRM, what is wrong with linking the module to your account, works fine really.

Anyway, at least they say that there is an automatic activation every 31 days once i run out of activations (which will inevitably happen to me) so I should not have to buy again this module hopefully because that would have been unacceptable to me.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Fynek

Ah ok thanks Rudel, i've just read that doc so basically since i activated it yesterday I only have 9 left and when i change my cpu this week, i need to deactivate and reactivate and it will not screw me of one more activation.

I really hope so. I really hate this kind of DRM, what is wrong with linking the module to your account, works fine really.

Anyway, at least they say that there is an automatic activation every 31 days once i run out of activations (which will inevitably happen to me) so I should not have to buy again this module hopefully because that would have been unacceptable to me.

Thanks for your help.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Even if you run out, you get up to one activation a month that you can use. I'm down to 3 or 2 on some and don't really care. It's not like I'm going to update MBs/CPU's/GPU's once month or anything.

But the new module manager makes it easy to activate and deactivate.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Even if you run out, you get up to one activation a month that you can use. I'm down to 3 or 2 on some and don't really care. It's not like I'm going to update MBs/CPU's/GPU's once month or anything.

But the new module manager makes it easy to activate and deactivate.

Point well taken , but i don't think gpu's count against activations . At least i don't remember having to deal with that about 10 months ago . Now where did i leave my glasses ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Point well taken , but i don't think gpu's count against activations . At least i don't remember having to deal with that about 10 months ago . Now where did i leave my glasses ?

Hmm, I wish I could help. I think I've always upgraded the CPU with with the GPU.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Point well taken , but i don't think gpu's count against activations

No, they dont ..the aspects taken into account for StarForce purposes are:

An activation will be required if the hardware/software changes exceed 12 points as rated below:

CPU ID: 13

Windows PID: 3

Computer Name: 3

Hard drive volume serial number: 3

MAC address: 6

RAM amount: 6

What I never got to find is what hard drive does it refers to: the boot drive, or the drive where DCS is located?

• 2 months later...
The easiest way, is to take that SSD with DCS on it and connect it onto your new rig using a Sata cable and then start the new PC and copy the whole /Eagle Dynamics/ folder onto the SSD of your new rig. After the copy finishes, you can return the SSD to your old rig.

Also, you should copy your /Saved Games/DCS/ folder, to keep your current DCS preferences, logbook and campaign status.

Do this after DCS world install has finished?

Asus ROG Z390, I9 9900K , 32 GB DDR4, EVGA GTX 2080 Ti , Win10 64, Rift CV1 & S VR

Do this after DCS world install has finished?

¿? this thread is about moving an existing DCS, to avoid doing a new install.