Civ. Traffic Let's Talk About It...

StormBat

I really like to fly over cities, towns, and highways in DCS World, especially in my Huey or KA-50.... To see the CIV traffic going their merry way to work or home or wherever gives me a sense of really being in this occupied world... BUT and it's a big one... When the Civ vehicles just appear or disappear like magic or turn a 180 in less then a sec, or go through (like a ghost) actual placed units for a mission, it just destroys the immersion, and I think what's the point?

Is this something that has been brought up? Can it be fixed? Because I just notice it more often than not, and I've decided to disable it all together until it's fixed or corrected, because right now it kills my immersion and I've noticed it a lot too when I record videos and put them on You Tube. Love DCS World, Love all the aircraft that I have purchased, so not putting you guys (ED) down. I just think that if your going to have CIV Traffic, then make it as realistic as possible but whatever you do don't leave it in the state it is now either. Anyway not the biggest thing to attend to in DCS World, but I hope one day it does get some attention. Cheers. :pilotfly:

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

The civ traffic are just moving scenery objects. To make them do what you requested (driving physics, obstacle detection, collision) they would have to be real units which would cause a tremendous impact on performance, given the number of civ vehicles.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If you are flying Combat with placed units, why not just turn them off...civ vehicles have no place in combat areas anyway.

If you are just joyriding and sight seeing in cities like Vegas or Dubai let em roll.

Doubtful ED will ever tweak civ traffic for the reasons QuiGon states.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

For a flight sim, the civilian traffic seems fine. The only issue I have is that you can only turn them on/off as a whole, rather than exclude them from specific areas. Some buildings can blow up next to a road and cars will keep driving right by at leisurely pace. Even this isn't a big deal though.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Given their deathwish interactions at intersections , a blown-up building beside them is no big deal :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The civ traffic are just moving scenery objects. To make them do what you requested (driving physics, obstacle detection, collision) they would have to be real units which would cause a tremendous impact on performance, given the number of civ vehicles.

I understand that, and thanks for responding, much appreciated. Is there no way though that it can be tweaked so vehicles just don't appear/disappear or turn 180 on a dime, say within 3 to 5 km of human players in aircraft or vehicles controlled by human players? Sorry I know nothing about coding, or how all that works. But I guess it's all about resources and how it effects performance? Anyway Thanks again for the reply. Cheers. :pilotfly:

X570S AORUS PRO AX MOTHERBOARD, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-core Processor, GIGABYTE GEFORCE RTX 3090 TI, 64GB DDR4(Corsair Vengeance LPX), DARK ROCK PRO 4 250W TDP Heatsink, Corsair AX1600i Power Supply,  2TB SSD, Windows 10 64 Bit  VR: HP Reverb G2, VIRPIL: VPC Constellation ALPHA Prim[R], VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base

civiliian traffic or military traffic, there should be an air traffic. flying helicopters, planes here and there. it will make editor flights much more fun

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

But I guess it's all about resources and how it effects performance?

That's how it works. The more details you want, the more performance it costs. As a dev you have to decide where it is worth to sacrifice performance for more detail in simulation and IMHO a more detailed simulation of civ traffic isn't worth the performance impact. I would prefer ED to enhance the simulation elsewhere instead.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

From my experience in various combat zones, civilian traffic varies from light to heavy but is hardly ever off. If there is a curfew in place, sure, there is nearly none, but those are the ones we're looking for, isn't it?

Edited by Britchot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU - Intel 8088 @ 4.77 MHz; Memory - 128KB; 360KB double-sided

5 1/4" full-height floppy disk drive; 10MB Seagate ST-412 hard drive

JG-1 MiG-21bis Checklist

civiliian traffic or military traffic, there should be an air traffic. flying helicopters, planes here and there. it will make editor flights much more fun

Look up The civilian air traffic mod and the MOOSE Random Air Traffic scripts- very easy to implement for random military and civil air traffic. Highly versatile and requires very little if any scripting knowledge with excellent video guides on YouTube.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

• 2 weeks later...

The best is when you are tracking a convoy on your targeting pod, and the civilian traffic drives right through them like they are ghosts.

I generally keep it turned off. Stuff like that kills immersion more than it adds. At least for ground pounding / combined arms stuff.

Edited by HawkEXO

Look up The civilian air traffic mod and the MOOSE Random Air Traffic scripts- very easy to implement for random military and civil air traffic. Highly versatile and requires very little if any scripting knowledge with excellent video guides on YouTube.

Shouldn't have to find mods for something that should be implemented by default.

RTX 2080ti, I7 9700k, 32gb ram, SSD, Samsung Odyssey VR, MSFFB2, T-50 Throttle, Thrustmaster Rudder Pedals