[NO, NOT ACCURATE] ILS - ICLS airports

Padonis

4 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

I realize that perhaps you have never touched the Hornet addon, but if you were to try it in bad weather without ILS on a runway it is extremely difficult. The real ones have ILS.

Most (maybe all?) IFR approaches aren't supposed to be for 0 visibility. Yes an ILS approach will give you a lower ceiling and visibility requirement. But Tacan approaches are perfectly valid. An example of the differences:
ILS or LOC/DME X 21L at Nellis AFB is 200ft ceiling 1/2 mile visibility minimum
TACAN X 21L at Nellis AFB is 700ft ceiling 1/2 mile visibility minimum 

And if its needed, you always have GCA and PAR.

Additionally, thanks for being the reason that so many of the valued SMEs in this community eventually just leave. Because when they do pipe up with their gouge, some people just spit in their face and say they are lying.

Edited by Swiftwin9s
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

18 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

I realize that perhaps you have never touched the Hornet addon, but if you were to try it in bad weather without ILS on a runway it is extremely difficult. The real ones have ILS.

ILS is no prerequisite for bad weather or IFR landings. ILS and ILCS are two superficially similar, but ultimately also very different systems. And no USN or USMC Charlie Hornet, which is what is modelled in our game, carried ILS equipment. None.

Thusly you are still wrong.

Edited by Shimmergloom667
  • Like 2

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

17 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

ILS is no prerequisite for bad weather or IFR landings. ILS and ILCS are two superficially similar, but ultimately also very different systems. And no USN or USMC Charlie Hornet, which is what is modelled in our game, carried ILS equipment. None.

Other than (as GB wrote earlier in this post) Blue Angels

• Like 1

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

1 hour ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Other than (as GB wrote earlier in this post) Blue Angels

Right! 🙂

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

20 hours ago, Cab said:

This is not true 

Well what do you use in bad weather? Interesting.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:18 AM, Hulkbust44 said:
On 1/19/2022 at 4:07 AM, SUBS17 said:

And you claim to be an Archangel that's not from around here. You have a history of being delusional and wrong, as you are here.

That is not how you spell Arkangel. Also all of those mystery videos come from there and not here.

5 hours ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

ILS is no prerequisite for bad weather or IFR landings.

No you are wrong. ILS is what you need for bad weather in a jet fighter, without it life is very, very stressful for the pilot. Knowing where the runway is, is extremely important. In the old days using the older systems it was suicidal to make an approach in some places unless the weather cleared. It is an unrealistic view to think that it is safe to operate without it. The buttons on the aircraft, it says ILS for a reason because it has it.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

16 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

Well what do you use in bad weather? Interesting.

PAR, ASR, TACAN. In other aircraft, VOR, VOR/LOC, RNAV. 

ILS is just one of many options.

You're not listening.

Edited by Cab
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, _Spad_ said:

The Hornet is quite capable of flying an instrument approach using TACAN, without the need for an ILS. If your unsure how to do it, this video demonstrates how.

Also, if your ceilings are much lower than those shown in the video, you should probably find a different airfield.

https://youtu.be/Jyl54RNsWrE

Have fun then in IFR with just Tacan, but it is not enough for IFR. You need that touch down point and TACAN is not accurate enough in fog.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

10 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

Have fun then in IFR with just Tacan, but it is not enough for IFR. You need that touch down point and TACAN is not accurate enough in fog.

Have you ever heard of sound flight planning, non precision approaches, circling approaches, alternate minimums etc?

It may surprise you, but in some places it’s actually possible to obtain an instrument rating (IR) without being endorsed/approved to fly ILS approaches. My first real world IR didn’t include GPS or ILS approaches; the first because the aircraft wasn’t fitted with one, and the second because there wasn’t an ILS nearby to fly during the test flight. Granted these are civilian terms/concepts, but military’s have their equivalents.

In a nutshell, IFR ≠ ILS.

I have a genuine question, have you ever flown a real aircraft yourself?

I ask because you refuse to listen to people in this thread that are real world pilots, some of which even have substantial experience on real F/A-18s. Why on earth would you assume you have more knowledge then they do?

Edited by norman99
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

If the airfield is completely socked in, you shouldn't go there.  1000' ceilings are considered IFR conditions and a TACAN (or any other non-precision) approach is just fine for them.  Do answer Norman99's question, though.  What aircraft have you flown and how much time do you have in it/them?

• Like 2

Swiftwin is right, it's pretty obvious this Subs guy neither knows what he is talking about, nor is he willing to learn. Nothing can be gained by engaging in discussion.

• Like 1

• ED Team

reminder to all to treat each other with respect. 

thanks

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

New technology that is being tested includes a new type of device that gives accurate Navigation data on altitude, speed, AoA which is extremely good. This technology leads to Auto-Landing and Auto-Inflight Refuelling. Also it connects to the Helmet so that the pilot can see literally everything.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, SUBS17 said:

New technology that is being tested includes a new type of device that gives accurate Navigation data on altitude, speed, AoA which is extremely good. This technology leads to Auto-Landing and Auto-Inflight Refuelling. Also it connects to the Helmet so that the pilot can see literally everything.

Tehcnology that while interesting, is totally irrelevant for our Hornet...

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

7 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

It will feature in later versions no doubt. What do you mean our version? Do you at all use DCS?

Our mid 2000s USN Hornet?

And yes, I am flying the F-16 right this minute.

• Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 1/28/2022 at 3:29 AM, SUBS17 said:

It will feature in later versions no doubt. What do you mean our version? Do you at all use DCS?

You are talking about ILS CAT IIIC. It has existed for a significant time in the civil world and permits autolanding. Implementation in a fighter may or may not ever happen given the cost/weight/maintenance issues required.

When the rest of the conversation refer to TACAN etc, they are talking about the TACAN Approaches not just the aid. Any navaid can have an approach built around it, and these days you can have approaches built entirely around GNSS/RNP without any ground based aid. (Even the GNSS approach can be flown in the F18 although given the lack of a data cartridge is too cumbersome to program in to be useful.)

The aim of any instrument approach is to safely descend an aircraft to a point where they can get visual and land. All a precision approach (like an ILS) gives over a non-precision approach (TACAN/VOR etc) is a glideslope and usually lower minima.

While I would love to see the option for ILS as I am Australian and tend to replicate Aussie models which had the ILS, the ability to recover off TACAN, DME, and even NDB approaches is there, you just need to put the time in to learn how to fly them.

14 hours ago, Ourorborus said:

You are talking about ILS CAT IIIC. It has existed for a significant time in the civil world and permits autolanding. Implementation in a fighter may or may not ever happen given the cost/weight/maintenance issues required.

When the rest of the conversation refer to TACAN etc, they are talking about the TACAN Approaches not just the aid. Any navaid can have an approach built around it, and these days you can have approaches built entirely around GNSS/RNP without any ground based aid. (Even the GNSS approach can be flown in the F18 although given the lack of a data cartridge is too cumbersome to program in to be useful.)

The aim of any instrument approach is to safely descend an aircraft to a point where they can get visual and land. All a precision approach (like an ILS) gives over a non-precision approach (TACAN/VOR etc) is a glideslope and usually lower minima.

While I would love to see the option for ILS as I am Australian and tend to replicate Aussie models which had the ILS, the ability to recover off TACAN, DME, and even NDB approaches is there, you just need to put the time in to learn how to fly them.

No I am talking about something way different, it literally is 3 wire every landing. It is not ILS and it provides more precise data for Airspeed, Location, Altitude and AoA. We're talking decimal points here.

Edited by SUBS17

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

48 minutes ago, SUBS17 said:

No I am talking about something way different, it literally is 3 wire every landing. It is not ILS and it provides more precise data for Airspeed, Location, Altitude and AoA. We're talking decimal points here.

Without searching all over the net...  the only thing I heard of was Magic Carpet for the Rhinos and Growlers but that's basically software.

13 hours ago, Gripes323 said:

Without searching all over the net...  the only thing I heard of was Magic Carpet for the Rhinos and Growlers but that's basically software.

He's referring to secret alien technology that only he knows about. TL;DR: ignore everything Subs writes. Don't give him the attention he craves.

• Like 4

Just let me clarify, you want ILS added to the hornet because you have no idea how to shoot a TACAN approach. Yet you somehow know of a super ILS that gives a "3 wire everytime"........ Please elaborate, I am interested how you can get a 3 wire off an ILS. (PS.You do know that airfields don't have a "3 wire" and carriers don't have ILS don't you?)

• Like 1