Rift Vs Rift S?

fael097

hey Rift S owners, how is it compared to the og Rift?

specially screen resolution / screen door effect, how clearly can you read stuff, DDIs, AMPCD, etc?

is it worth upgrading?

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Got the two versions. Barely used the first Rift (SDE makes gauges difficult to read and enemy difficult to spot, external sensors are clumsy to setup, no way to reach keyboard without taking the headset off), now my head is almost permanently stuck into the rift S.

I know, right? I got the rift last year and I use it every now and then, but resolution/SDE makes it hard to enjoy it and want to play again. I really think if I didn't have a resolution problem I'd live inside the cockpit.

do you have any difficulty reading anything? I mean, I really want to buy it but I'm afraid of doing it then realizing it's like 50% better but some stuff are still unreadable

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

I would recommend the VR Sub-forum.

https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=497

gotcha, thanks.

Rafael

Rift S is a big step on. Except for the lack of IPD adjustment so if you have a wide or very narrow IPD then it might not work for you.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Rift S is a big step on. Except for the lack of IPD adjustment so if you have a wide or very narrow IPD then it might not work for you.

Fully agree!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

hey Rift S owners, how is it compared to the og Rift?

specially screen resolution / screen door effect, how clearly can you read stuff, DDIs, AMPCD, etc?

is it worth upgrading?

If you are not sure if it will suit you, order from amazon, try it for yourself, and if you don´t like it, send it back. I know i kept mine (S), but maybe you think different (and its fine). :thumbup:

Edit: oh, i forgot to add i had a cv1 to compare with, i sold it later for 225€ so upgrade operation was 225€, imo was worth it every €, its impresive value for the money.

Edited by Lexe
added info

I just switch over from the Rift to Rift S and the difference is amazing. I love the fact no external sensors are needed and the pass-through is also very helpful. It is also more comfortable and I was fortunate enough not to have an issue with the IPD.

ASUS TUF GAMING X670E with AMD RYZEN 5 7600X, 64GB DDR4, ASUS TUF GAMING 4080

Pico 4, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Formally Known As: wpnssgt (google it :smilewink: )

do you have any difficulty reading anything? I mean, I really want to buy it but I'm afraid of doing it then realizing it's like 50% better but some stuff are still unreadable

It depends on the plane, really. I find Harrier much easier to use, than the A-10C. It only takes a little lean to read stuff for the tiniest of details, like the little fonts besides the buttons on the MFDs.

A-10C map display is horrible to read for me (maybe it's the contrast), but the Harrier one is very nice. Same with the HUD. Everything is in bigger fonts, perfectly fine and without jaggies.

Not everything is perfectly clear from the default position. I did expect a bit better clarity, but it's definitely not a deal-breaker. For example the ENG page. It has tiny letters and if you try to read that from the default position, there's a struggle. Lean in a bit around the UFC and everything is clear. It takes a little movement to clear and enlarge just a bit, to make it clearly readable.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I spend a lot more time in DCS in VR now with the Rift S thanks for one due to the better resolution actually making it pleasurable to fly, not a chore dealing with poor res, and secondly after updating my mobo Bios so now the whole DCS experience is smooth.

Before with the CV1 - DCS in VR was fun no doubt - but the res just didn't make it super enjoyable for me and I didn't really relish flying in VR like I do now.

If you are on the fence - do it. The cost is good in comparison to the other options and Oculus software is good and they are working on making the whole experience better.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks for all your input.

I also found this video, if anyone is interested: (nevermind the accent)

it's not exactly what you'd see, but you can have an idea. sometimes it looks like just an average/good upgrade but other times it looks like a major improvement from the cv1.

I'm just glad I didn't buy the Vive, it looks nasty. never used one though

but it's looking good, I'm definitely gonna give it a shot

Rafael