Recommended F/A-18C book/read - RAVEN ONE, by Kevin Miller

F1GHTS-ON

Slight thread drift from DCS, but if you enjoy the DCS Hornet as much as me, you MUST read this book. Set in Persian Gulf/gulf of Oman and written by a Hornet driver with over 1000 traps, it is if this book were written with DCS and flying in the Gulf Map in mind. Just knowing your way around the cockpit switches makes this read easier to follow. Great explanations on fuel management and working the jet around the boat.

• 1 year later...

I've just finished this book. I'm not sure what to say.

To its credit, this book may be interesting just for the description of the operations on a carrier.

But the plot is below average, not really credible and the story has no rhythm. Moreover, the author has a poor command of English and makes a lot of mistakes, he is obviously not meant to write books. The need to make the US show its superiority over another country (this old Vietnam complex) and the childish arch-enemy duel complete this sad picture.

The take away just doesn't justify the time spent reading this, so I can't recommend it. Instead, read "Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat" from Dan Hampton, even if that guy has a little superiority complex, he has a very good narration, very educational. And the story, which is real, is much more gripping.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR