TM Hotas X to Warthog worth it?

Hey guys,

I've been flying the Hornet for the past 6 months and it's been all great except for the controls.

I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X and I feel it's not precise enough to do recoveries and especially AAR which is just impossible to do with this stick. The midpoint "bump" in the throttle control really kills the feeling of "where you are" with throttle power for example (once you hit that bump of course).

I've been seriously thinking of buying the Warthog Hotas but I'm not sure those problems will be solved because I've never actually tried it before. Also I'm not really keen to buy rudder pedals because of space issues etc which Hotas X solves for me (could use my gamepad for the rudder maybe).

Anyone went through similar problems?

Thanks!

J :pilotfly:

Hello,

I had the TM X like you and I have now the TM T16000 + Twcs: it's night and day in term of precision.

So with the warthog it will be even better.

FYI I am real military pilot and the T16000 is for me précise enough to feel like IRL.

The "problem" with the T16000 is the lack of stick buttons and hats, which then relegate you to the keyboard.

The X56 has virtually the same number of buttons as the Warthog, but unlike the WH, it has a twist for rudder. This is the one I'm looking at right now, as I don't want' rudder pedals either.

Tim

The "lack" of buttons is solved with "modification button" (the orange ones) that are behind the throttle. It's very useful and I don't use the keeboard except for the view buttons (F1 to F11).

I don't recommend the X56 because of the neutral of the stick which is very weird.

The T16000 is very precise thanks to the "Hall effect"

So my advice is : T16000+Twcs+rudder (the best price quality ratio) or if you have more money: The Warthog or Virpil or VKB.

In DCS, Rudder pedal is mandotory to fly choppers but not mandatory for airplanes

The "lack" of buttons is solved with "modification button" (the orange ones) that are behind the throttle. It's very useful and I don't use the keeboard except for the view buttons (F1 to F11).

I don't recommend the X56 because of the neutral of the stick which is very weird.

The T16000 is very precise thanks to the "Hall effect"

So my advice is : T16000+Twcs+rudder (the best price quality ratio) or if you have more money: The Warthog or Virpil or VKB.

In DCS, Rudder pedal is mandotory to fly choppers but not mandatory for airplanes

I'm not a fan of "mode" buttons like the orange buttons, but that's just a personal preference.

I do agree that the spring center with the X56 is less than optimal, even with three different stiffnesses. The T16000 does the centering better.

If they'd make the Warthog with a twist, I'd be in full bore, no questions asked.

Tim

Hey guys,

I've been flying the Hornet for the past 6 months and it's been all great except for the controls.

I have a Thrustmaster Hotas X and I feel it's not precise enough to do recoveries and especially AAR which is just impossible to do with this stick. The midpoint "bump" in the throttle control really kills the feeling of "where you are" with throttle power for example (once you hit that bump of course).

I've been seriously thinking of buying the Warthog Hotas but I'm not sure those problems will be solved because I've never actually tried it before. Also I'm not really keen to buy rudder pedals because of space issues etc which Hotas X solves for me (could use my gamepad for the rudder maybe).

Anyone went through similar problems?

Thanks!

J :pilotfly:

Not sure if it is appropriate or not, but I've got 2 Warthog HOTAS' . One was a gift, and had already purchased one. Took the other one out of the box once, to feel "a brand new one" again. Felt the same as the one I've been using already (AKA the stick and throttle hold up very well, at least from my experience). I've put it up for sale locally but don't really have a need to sell it so haven't really put effort into advertising it but I am willing to let it go. (Apologies again if somehow I have violated a forum rule by stating that and happily will edit this post to be compliant).

Considered using one throttle with the afterburner detent flipped so when piloting the A10C, and then into the F/A-18C or the F-14B, I'd have the burner detent to "push thru" or "lift thru." But I have learned the feel while flying the 18 and 14, while not utilizing the factory afterburner detent.

Also, the massive increase in buttons that the Warthog comes with was a huge plus for me. With the A10, obviously many of the buttons are able to be used while flying it that stay the same, but I chose to change some of the ones that I didn't feel needed to stay, like the fuel and APU switches, along with the ignition switches and a few others. I then have the ability to set modifier(s) to pretty much be able to do anything inside the cockpit without having to take my hands off the HOTAS (even considering the fact that I use VR).

An upgrade of any lower to middle HOTAS to a higher end model is definitely something that will not only increase your enjoyment of DCS (personal opinion), but also increase your effectiveness while flying an air frame and add some extra capability while flying solo or in a multiplayer server.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys :D.

Soooo I finally bought the thing and I must say (besides setting up etc) the experience is like night and day, fantastic to say the least.

Tested a few things, like ground attack, a2a etc, but what impressed me most is how f*!&ing easy it was to actually fly in formation, it was a chore on my old hotas.

Also did a perfect on-the-ball airfield landing without breaking a sweat with my first try.

So if there's anybody out there thinking if you should upgrade your hotas and had similar issues like me (problems with formation flying, aar, airfield/carrier landing), I say go for it, you wont regret it one bit.

Also worth mentioning is that I don't have a rudder pedal, so I just mapped (along with the wheel brake) to coolie switch, it'll do just fine for the time being.

J

Edited by JaZzBrE

T.16000M has a "twisting" grip that allows for "rudder" or tail rotor function, if you need that control but don't want rudder pedals

+Twcs throttle has a large paddle, that can also be used as a "rudder" or tail rotor control. Its spring loaded to center nicely.