Wheels/Gear Problem

Hi Guys,

Have just bought the Hornet and having a few problems with retracting the Landing Gear (and putting it down) - Have tried with a number of buttons on stick and throttle (cheap Thrustmaster HOTAS) and external button box and the keyboard (G) but nothing seems to work - am I doing something wrong here - am I missing something obvious here ??? Am operating in sim mode

Could anyone just run through the key binding process for the landing gear for me to make sure I know what I am doing as other actions seem to work OK.

Being ex RAAF love the Hornet

Thanks in advance....Taffy

Edited by taffy001
Fixed the problem

• ED Team

Hi taffy001

The G binding is a toggle up or down.

you can also bind the gear to individual inputs if you wish.

I have my gear lever input bound to individual inputs.

I have added two screenshots below, I hope it helps.

Screen_190722_074348.thumb.jpg.822803571ed52a7ce2ed40f662c4ba18.jpg

Screen_190722_074352.thumb.jpg.42b98276c69338544b5de838f19ccb1d.jpg

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hornet wheel/landing gear binding issues

Thanks BIGNEWEY,

I have tried those and tried to bind to buttons on joystick/throttle and button box with no success. Just seems a number of functions just will not bind (landing gear and wheel brake for instance)..

I am not sure why - maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the Hornet - can that be done ???? or is that to much effort

It is really strange as I have no problems binding any function with the Spitfire and Huey - just the Hornet...

Still confused

Taffy

Thanks BIGNEWEY,

I have tried those and tried to bind to buttons on joystick/throttle and button box with no success. Just seems a number of functions just will not bind (landing gear and wheel brake for instance)..

I am not sure why - maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall the Hornet - can that be done ???? or is that to much effort

It is really strange as I have no problems binding any function with the Spitfire and Huey - just the Hornet...

Still confused

Taffy

Make sure you are binding the appropriate "setting." There is SIM and GAME, also an option that needs to be checked or unchecked within the settings menu (separately). I personally have "GAME MODE" un-checked. I ran into an issue early on with binding keys / switches, etc. for the Hornet and had accidentally been assigning them under the F18 Game tab rather than the F18 Sim tab.

Not sure if that is the cause of your issue, but worth a check.

If you are using "GAME MODE" you need to bind the keys desired under the "F18 GAME" tab.

If you are flying without GAME MODE and using simulation physics, make sure to bind the keys under the "F18 SIM" tab.

Cheers and hope it may have helped.

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Wheels / gear problem

Thanks Darseeth,

I tried all that today - deleted any functions in Game Tab - made sure Game Mode was off and then reset all keys in the F18 Sim Mode

But no joy - Throttle works / Stick works - I can taxi and take off but just cannot get some other functions working....

Just to make sure I have it correct - I assume "Landing Gear Control Handle - UP means bring the wheels up as that is what I am using. Do you need to set another function prior to make this happen ... a lock release maybe ???

Wheels will not come up, Speed Brake will not work and wheel brakes do not work ...Tried some alternative buttons - but still no joy. And cannot even get the above functions to work with the standard default keyboard settings...

Maybe I need to submit a ticket to DCS .... Would the repair thing work ???

Taffy

Try these following steps.

1: Clear the F-18 input folder in your saved games folder. This is where the sim saves your personal bindings for each aircraft. These are usually located in a directory like C:\Users\Deano87\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input - Find the FA-18 folder in there and delete it, don’t worry the sim will create a new one. Note this will delete all of the bindings you have made for the F-18 but it may allow all of the others to work as well.

Re open the sim and see if you can properly bind controls now. If not proceed to step 2.

2: Run DCS repair, note this will clear any mods you have installed.

Hit the start button on your desktop and scroll down through the application list until you see Eagle Dynamics, click then and then try DCS Repair. Run that and see if that helps.

If neither of the above steps help I suggest uninstalling the Hornet and reinstalling it.

3. launch DCS, once you arrive at the main menu look up into the top left corner for an icon that looks like a bunch of small boxes, this is module manager. Go in there and look for a tab that says “installed” (I’m doing this from memory, apologies) once you’re on that list you should see all the modules that you have installed currently. Find the F-18 and hit the trash can next to it to uninstall the module. I can’t remember if the sim restarts automatically. Or if you have to do it manually but just shut DCS down and then re-open it. The F-18 should no longer be in your sim. Go back to the module manager in DCS and then install the F-18 from there again.

Hope it helps!

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hi Deano87,

Sadly I have got nowhere.....gone through the bunch of processes - reinstalled the FA18 twice but still no joy...really strange.

In the setting/controller inputs, I can bind keys to functions (then even press the key and it returns to the particular function so it seems to be binding). But once in game no reaction from the buttons (even the G on the keyboard does not work)

And for some reason - just seems to be with the Hornet (I have the Spit and Huey modules and they work fine)

So I am at a complete loss at the moment (just tried it all again and no joy)

Taffy

Hi Deano87,

Sadly I have got nowhere.....gone through the bunch of processes - reinstalled the FA18 twice but still no joy...really strange.

In the setting/controller inputs, I can bind keys to functions (then even press the key and it returns to the particular function so it seems to be binding). But once in game no reaction from the buttons (even the G on the keyboard does not work)

And for some reason - just seems to be with the Hornet (I have the Spit and Huey modules and they work fine)

So I am at a complete loss at the moment (just tried it all again and no joy)

Taffy

How weird! Have you deleted the input files from the saved games folder as I described? If they were corrupted then they would remain even if you uninstalled and reinstalled the F-18 module itself.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hi Deano,

Yes I have done that - only odd thing is that even when I delete those files and go back to the controller setup, the stick axis controls are already there (yaw/pitch etc) - maybe it does that by default ???

What is strange though is that the keyboard functions (which are already there) do not work...and I have deleted and reset them - again with no luck....Maybe the Hornet is not for me !!!

Maybe I need to completely reinstall DCS from scratch - don't have anything in there that I cannot fix (only the 3 aircraft)and just a few replays.....

Yes there is a default mapping, if you have a commonly used joystick then it may automatically propagate the bindings for that stick. Not always correctly though.

Before we resort to a complete re-install can you just check in the game realism settings that you haven't somehow got the game switched to "Game mode" I think its the top left of the Gameplay settings tab in options. That can sometimes cause a lot of really weird issues for people.

I'm happy to go on Skype with you and do a screen share so I can have a look at your DCS install and see if I can spot any problems - Private Message me through here if you want to give that a try.

If you want to do a fresh reinstall then a good tip is to rename the DCS folder in Saved Games to something like "DCSBACKUP" or something along those lines, not only is this where the config is kept but its also where DCS keeps your missions and replays. When you reinstall DCS it will create a fresh DCS folder in saved games and if that solves your problem with the Hornet then you can transfer the other control bindings and any missions or replays across from the Backup folder.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Hi Deano,

And thanks for keeping up with this.... I have checked the Game/Sim controller functions and game realism settings. Tried them both, but seems the Sim has more controller options available so sticking with that for now.

I'm also looking at upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 at the moment as I have some Oculus Rift upgrade problems as well (since the recent update). I am working with Oculus on that but no luck there - so might just bite the bullet and do a fresh install of Win 10 and reload everything (I also race on iRacing and other driving and VR stuff - so a bit of effort required to get it all setup again - so still thinking about it (has been 5 years on Win 7 without any fresh installs) !!

Thanks again,

Paul

Hi Deano,

And thanks for keeping up with this.... I have checked the Game/Sim controller functions and game realism settings. Tried them both, but seems the Sim has more controller options available so sticking with that for now.

I'm also looking at upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 at the moment as I have some Oculus Rift upgrade problems as well (since the recent update). I am working with Oculus on that but no luck there - so might just bite the bullet and do a fresh install of Win 10 and reload everything (I also race on iRacing and other driving and VR stuff - so a bit of effort required to get it all setup again - so still thinking about it (has been 5 years on Win 7 without any fresh installs) !!

Thanks again,

Paul

I’m happy to take a look at your DCS install and see if anything jumps out at me And talk you through some other possible fixes. PM if you want to organise that.

Proud owner of:

Here's what I would do

1. "Set up USB game controllers" via windows, make sure all your buttons are working

2. Ditch TARGET if you're using it, bind everything direct in DCS

3. Look for conflicts with other controllers. You don't have to read down the column -- DCS won't let you map the same button on the same controller -- but you have to read across, make sure no other devices are mapped to that function (except your keyboard -- is your "G" key sticking?)

4. If you're using a "modifier" button, make sure it's set as a "modifier" rather than a "switch"

5. Finally consider the possibility of a USB conflict, take out any unnecessary USB devices and start plugging things into different USB ports (especially if you have VR, USB conflicts are very common)

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Well Guys,

There is good news - after about 4 weeks of no luck - I think you guys solved it !!

Checked all the double settings where some mappings were also set to my button box as well as the HOTAS. Have been aware of the 'Easy Flight Model/ Game function' - so that was not it. However, the 'Game Avionic' was selected... so deselected that and had a go at resetting most of the functions...... and it worked. I can now use the throttle fully, raise / lower the wheels, use the nose wheel brake and the speed brake (all of which were either not working or a bit dodgy.

So I think it was probably the Game Avionic function that was causing all the problems. Took off and did my first landing (rough but survivable and taxied back into the lines)... now to learn how to actually fly it.

Thanks again to all of you who spent the time helping out - much appreciated

Paul/taffy001

Glad to hear you got it sorted out!

Proud owner of:

• ED Team

Hi

Are you sure you are not using GAME instead of SIM in options?

This is the only reason I can think why you may not be seeing the correct key bindings work.

Easiest way to do key bindings is to load a mission where you start on the ramp.

press ESC and then keybindings and check you are inputting the correct ones while in the cockpit.

again you need to check your are using the correct key binding set ( GAME or SIM ) based on what you have selected in options.

If you look in the root folder of where DCS is installed you will see a doc folder, inside it has a controller walk-through that may help

If you are still having issue please contact support directly

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Well Guys,

There is good news - after about 4 weeks of no luck - I think you guys solved it !!

Checked all the double settings where some mappings were also set to my button box as well as the HOTAS. Have been aware of the 'Easy Flight Model/ Game function' - so that was not it. However, the 'Game Avionic' was selected... so deselected that and had a go at resetting most of the functions...... and it worked. I can now use the throttle fully, raise / lower the wheels, use the nose wheel brake and the speed brake (all of which were either not working or a bit dodgy.

So I think it was probably the Game Avionic function that was causing all the problems. Took off and did my first landing (rough but survivable and taxied back into the lines)... now to learn how to actually fly it.

Thanks again to all of you who spent the time helping out - much appreciated

Paul/taffy001

great news! :)